[Phoronix]Quake 2 now has real-time path tracing with Vulkan - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Phoronix]Quake 2 now has real-time path tracing with Vulkan

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:11 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 285 (Unique: 210)
Seen this yesterday on mobile, not bad, what is confusing is how media mixes up ray tracing and path tracing as if it's the same thing, making it hard to know what the thing they talk about really uses without downloading it and checking the readme, etc. or even asking the devs.
It looks pretty raw for path tracing but considering how little acceleration the RTX cards have... it's not that suspriring that the quality is kept low. Hard to tell what they are faking and what they path trace or ray trace. A pure path tracer with no faking... would still take ages to be realtime but it would look miles better.

I'm sure someone can dig in and figure it out what they actually traced and not.

As far as I know FEAR is not open source. The old Quakes are that's why they are a popular learning and modding platform and many games such as HL, CoD, ... were forked from it and initially used a Quake engine clone, used same file formats, same game editors, ...

There has also been ray traced quake or doom not so long ago, but I think it did not use any RTX features and was done the normal old way without RT hardware acceleration. That one had noise in it same as NV's RTX games do.
This quake is weird with the lack of noise, one has to dig in and see what they actually did, what is traced, what is not, if the quality is high or the noise is otherwise reduced.

Last edited by JackCY; 01-19-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:52 AM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 140 (Unique: 101)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
This game needing a 2080+ makes me wonder if Nvidia is going about this correctly. A 2080TI for this? I bet the GPU core is barely being used right? This is all on the RTX goodies?
Why do we need them built together as a single unit? Does it need to be done this way due to latency or could we have RTX accelerator cards?
I guess if mGPU still isn't totally viable in every game that's too much to hope for right?

Next game to be ray traced? Zelda: Ocarina of Time with a new texture pack...or Mario 64. Someone make this happen!
RTX is just a platform which inside has DxR nVidia enhanced libraries, VKRay(GPU Agnostic) Vulkan extensions, and OptiX(nVidia's API.) We'll see if AMD adopts VKRay but I doubt they will.

A developer can do what ever they want with the platform and Microsoft's DxR is a hybrid ray tracing method also. We are no where near the compute power of having current generation games with full Ray Tracing let alone Path Tracing. If you guys notice in Battlefield V the option is called "DXR Enabled" since AMD cards will also be able to enable DxR once AMD either releases driver support for Vega or wait until they have the hardware to run DxR. RTX just has enhanced libraries to make use of their RT cores.

Quote:
DXR will initially be used to supplement current rendering techniques such as screen space reflections, for example, to fill in data from geometry that’s either occluded or off-screen. This will lead to a material increase in visual quality for these effects in the near future. Over the next several years, however, we expect an increase in utilization of DXR for techniques that are simply impractical for rasterization, such as true global illumination. Eventually, raytracing may completely replace rasterization as the standard algorithm for rendering 3D scenes. That said, until everyone has a light-field display on their desk, rasterization will continue to be an excellent match for the common case of rendering content to a flat grid of square pixels, supplemented by raytracing for true 3D effects.

Maximus
(21 items)
CPU
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1950Mhz/1200Mhz w/ 1070mV
RAM
G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04.1
Operating System
Hackintosh macOS 10.14.3
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 01-19-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 177 (Unique: 117)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Seen this yesterday on mobile, not bad, what is confusing is how media mixes up ray tracing and path tracing as if it's the same thing, making it hard to know what the thing they talk about really uses without downloading it and checking the readme, etc. or even asking the devs.
Path tracing IS ray tracing, but ray tracing isn't necessarily path tracing. There is also noise in the lighting of this version of Quake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 06:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 64)
This is a pretty good indication that games with high poly counts will take 10-15 GPU generations to render at high FPS with path tracing, imo

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:39 AM
@ASUS

Rep: 402 (Unique: 225)
I actually tried this last night and it's remarkably impressive when the right effects are present. Doesn't seem to have particle effects enabled by default, though.

Anyway, some serious nostalgia going back to this.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 129 (Unique: 90)
Damn.., image The Witcher 3 with such lighting instead the crappy one with fake light sources (camera lights, etc.)...

The Machine
(17 items)
CPU
Core i7 8700K
Motherboard
ASUS Z370 ROG Maximus Hero X WiFi
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Classified Kingpin
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Optical Drive
LG WH12LS39 12x BD
Power Supply
Corsair 850W Gold
Cooling
Cryorig Universal R1 Dual Tower, 4x Noctua 140mm case fans
Case
Corsair Graphite 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 x64 LTSC 1809-17763
Monitor
LG 32GK850G-B
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Mouse
Logitech G903
Mousepad
QcK
Audio
ASUS Xonar DGX w/ UNi Xonar Low-latency drivers
Other
Xbox One Afterglow & Dual Shock 4 Controllers
Other
i1Display Pro colorimeter, i1Pro 2 spectrophotometer
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 125 (Unique: 95)
Quote: Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
Damn.., image The Witcher 3 with such lighting instead the crappy one with fake light sources (camera lights, etc.)...
When you compare RTX to modern lighting effects in games it's almost impossible to tell which is best.
I didn't know TW3 had crappy lighting. The game looked great to me. I guess this is where we are though...RTX at 30fps is the new standard and anything that isn't simulating light paths is trash.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 01-21-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
100% ray traced.

This is a 25 year old game rendered by a low level API with a $1300 graphics card which has ray tracing as a main selling point... and they can't get playable framerates at 4K. Less than 60FPS in 1440p. This is the issue with ray tracing, even with path tracing to maximize efficiency one GPU simply isn't enough. They'd need probably four of them for this kind of perfomrance in anything less than ten years old, and if memory serves PCIE 3.0 can't even handle that. And this is why RTX is not a concern for this generation of GPU's.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.

Last edited by Jarhead; 01-21-2019 at 01:30 PM.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 64)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
100% ray traced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwGqa1smCxY

This is a 25 year old game rendered by a low level API with a $1300 graphics card which has ray tracing as a main selling point... and they can't get playable framerates at 4K. Less than 60FPS in 1440p. This is the issue with ray tracing, even with path tracing to maximize efficiency one GPU simply isn't enough. They'd need probably four of them for this kind of perfomrance in anything less than ten years old, and if memory serves PCIE 3.0 can't even handle that. And this is why RTX is not a concern for this generation of GPU's.
I'm interested to see what Metro Exodus can do. I think ray tracing can really enhance certain atmospheres in games, especially low-light situations.

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
It's amazing how much more realistic an old, crappily textured game can look with ray/path tracing. We've known this for a while, but it's still fun to watch the technology slowly becoming a reality in the near future for gamers.

Vulkan wins again! inb4 pathtraced Doom 2019

Hi,

This is how quake 2 looked 10 years ago, there is nothing new here with respect to how the game looks visually. The gun fire lit up the path where it travelled, that is how we navigate the map in dark areas.

Last edited by indus; 01-22-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in