[Phoronix]Quake 2 now has real-time path tracing with Vulkan - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Phoronix]Quake 2 now has real-time path tracing with Vulkan

post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:05 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 402 (Unique: 225)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
100% ray traced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwGqa1smCxY

This is a 25 year old game rendered by a low level API with a $1300 graphics card which has ray tracing as a main selling point... and they can't get playable framerates at 4K. Less than 60FPS in 1440p. This is the issue with ray tracing, even with path tracing to maximize efficiency one GPU simply isn't enough. They'd need probably four of them for this kind of perfomrance in anything less than ten years old, and if memory serves PCIE 3.0 can't even handle that. And this is why RTX is not a concern for this generation of GPU's.
You'd need a reasonable understanding of just how computationally intensive it is to path trace everything. Expecting to be able to do this at 4K shows a lack of this. (Note how you're directly comparing a realtime path renderer as being ray tracing).

Right now, we have the groundwork and technology for hybrid rendering, far more than we did even a short time ago. Not really relevant, but I don't think the vblogger is even old enough to remember the original game, too lol.

Last edited by Silent Scone; 01-22-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
Quote: Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
You'd need a reasonable understanding of just how computationally intensive it is to path trace everything. Expecting to be able to do this at 4K shows a lack of this. (Note how you're directly comparing a realtime path renderer as being ray tracing).

Right now, we have the groundwork and technology for hybrid rendering, far more than we did even a short time ago. Not really relevant, but I don't think the vblogger is even old enough to remember the original game, too lol.
You misunderstand. I have no expectation that they could do this at even 1080p with a newer title. The number of GPU's I mentioned as four wasn't chosen at random, it was chosen because ray tracing benefits from parallel processing. At least that's what Intel discovered with Larrabee ten years ago. Back then I thought that AMD would solve that problem with Fusion and that by now we would be seeing four socket motherboards with cpu/gpu chips instead of a discrete graphics card and that those systems would be crushing it. It would be like a revisit to the launch of the Voodoo when we went from 2D to 3D. Well, quick glance around and honestly we haven't actually progressed noticeably. The resolution has increased from 1080p to 4K, but otherwise nothing revolutionary. And sad to say, I can't point to a single game that's upcoming that looks like a must-have.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 433 (Unique: 289)
What can I say, Right to Repair should include software.
You got that right! Need Civ2 MPG source.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 67)
You misunderstand. I have no expectation that they could do this at even 1080p with a newer title. The number of GPU's I mentioned as four wasn't chosen at random, it was chosen because ray tracing benefits from parallel processing. At least that's what Intel discovered with Larrabee ten years ago. Back then I thought that AMD would solve that problem with Fusion and that by now we would be seeing four socket motherboards with cpu/gpu chips instead of a discrete graphics card and that those systems would be crushing it. It would be like a revisit to the launch of the Voodoo when we went from 2D to 3D. Well, quick glance around and honestly we haven't actually progressed noticeably. The resolution has increased from 1080p to 4K, but otherwise nothing revolutionary. And sad to say, I can't point to a single game that's upcoming that looks like a must-have.
Voodoo 2 @ 1080p? LOL. People were running 800x600 in 1996.

post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:35 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 402 (Unique: 225)
Quote: Originally Posted by littledonny View Post
Or if you were still using a software renderer possibly even 640 or lower lol.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
Quote: Originally Posted by littledonny View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
Or if you were still using a software renderer possibly even 640 or lower lol.
Or he misread what I said. 1024x768 was a thing by then. I'm trying to remember what I ran Jedi Knight in. I tried the software render and just couldn't take it so I went down to CompUSA to buy a Diamond Monster3D(Voodoo). Suddenly there were new directX effects and I could jump up two resolutions. I just can't remember if it was 1024 or 800.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 86 (Unique: 76)
Or he misread what I said. 1024x768 was a thing by then. I'm trying to remember what I ran Jedi Knight in. I tried the software render and just couldn't take it so I went down to CompUSA to buy a Diamond Monster3D(Voodoo). Suddenly there were new directX effects and I could jump up two resolutions. I just can't remember if it was 1024 or 800.
I I remember correctly, max resolution on Voodoo 1s was 640x480 except on a few special cards with more VRAM which could run 800x600, I don't think a Voodoo 1 can run a game in 1024x768 at all, you'd need 2 Voodoo 2 in SLI to enable that resolution.

My System
(15 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z97 Pro
GPU
Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X
RAM
16GB GSkil 2133MHz
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001
Hard Drive
Seagate 3TB 3000DM001
Optical Drive
Plextor PX891SA
Power Supply
Corsair TX750W
Cooling
NH-C12P
Case
Lancool K62
Operating System
Windows 7 64bit
Monitor
Iiyama XB2783HSU
Keyboard
Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000
Mouse
Logitech G500
Audio
Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 129 (Unique: 90)
So what exactly does Q2 demo prove? We all knew that ray/path was possible... It existed for a while in cinema motion pictures... Does this demo somehow prove that RTX cards can render games with modern polygon count, shader, texture resolution, streaming technology, while fully utilizing true path/ray tracing and provide at least 30fps at 1080p? No way in hell... The only thing that this proves is that ray tracing is becoming a goal. It's now something that developers and engineers are trying to push further, perhaps at faster\higher rate than before, but that's about it... It's a good thing, especially if AMD succeeds at competing with NVidia with their own ray tracing technology.

What are the main differences between RTX partial ray tracing vs. full ray tracing vs. path tracing? Is NVidia's AI technology something that can help ray tracing become a viable option for in-game lighting more so than whatever else was necessary to make it a reality (raw GPU power) ?

The Machine
(17 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700K
Motherboard
ASUS Z370 ROG Maximus Hero X WiFi
GPU
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Optical Drive
LG WH12LS39 12x BD
Power Supply
Corsair 850W Gold
Cooling
Cryorig Universal R1 Dual Tower, 4x Noctua 140mm case fans
Case
Corsair Graphite 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 x64 LTSC 1809-17763
Monitor
LG 32GK850G-B 31.5" 1440p @ 165Hz w/ G-Sync
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Mouse
Logitech G903
Mousepad
QcK
Audio
ASUS Xonar DGX w/ UNi Xonar Low-latency drivers
Other
Xbox One Afterglow & Dual Shock PlayStation 4 Controllers
Other
i1Display Pro colorimeter, i1Pro 2 spectrophotometer
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 67)
Quote: Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
So what exactly does Q2 demo prove? We all knew that ray/path was possible... It existed for a while in cinema motion pictures... Does this demo somehow prove that RTX cards can render games with modern polygon count, shader, texture resolution, streaming technology, while fully utilizing true path/ray tracing and provide at least 30fps at 1080p? No way in hell... The only thing that this proves is that ray tracing is becoming a goal. It's now something that developers and engineers are trying to push further, perhaps at faster\higher rate than before, but that's about it... It's a good thing, especially if AMD succeeds at competing with NVidia with their own ray tracing technology.

What are the main differences between RTX partial ray tracing vs. full ray tracing vs. path tracing? Is NVidia's AI technology something that can help ray tracing become a viable option for in-game lighting more so than whatever else was necessary to make it a reality (raw GPU power) ?
It doesn't prove anything, it just showcases what path traces lighting can do to make a game look more realistic

post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:37 PM
Some Guy

Rep: 46 (Unique: 42)
I wonder what the Source/Source 2 engine would look like if they were to implement this tech.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in