[GoL]Steam Play versus Linux Version, a little performance comparison and more thoughts - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[GoL]Steam Play versus Linux Version, a little performance comparison and more thoughts

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:33 AM
Zen

Rep: 50 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post
It has been a long time sense games ran bare metal on home consoles. Given the ubiquitousness of graphics and x86, it makes more sense than ever to use an API like vulkan.
Its Vulkan/DX12 adopting more like console like low level approach, not vice versa. Console specific APIs will be lower level than Vulkan/DX12 since they don't have to worry about compatibility across multiple configurations. I don't know why some thinks PS5 needs Vulkan for "lower level" API when they have been doing it ever since GPU was included in consoles.

My home PC
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2711
Monitor
Samsung 55" 4k
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Denon AVR-X3300W
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:50 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega X View Post
I don't doubt it at all. Microsoft didn't care much for PC Gaming until Valve started making moves to 'migrate' PC Gaming to Linux should they forget. Linux distros already wrestled much of the server and B2B market away from Microsoft. This would have been another blow. Microsoft can't afford to be lazy anymore, Every part of its ventures are under heavy competition now.
Microsoft's recent push for pc has nothing to do with valve. It's a pivot due to the fact that Xbox isn't selling well enough to justify high budget console exclusives, and because Microsoft is building a library of games they'll be able to use to start a subscription service on PC similar to what they already do with Xbox. There is no time line correlations to support your theory but there are plenty for mine. SteamOS died long before Microsoft renewed interest in PC.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 01-24-2019 at 08:09 PM.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 200 (Unique: 90)
Oh man, it is so sad to see a company trying to give the PC gaming community a bit more freedom and some people dismissing it because they just can't even grasp the concept.

If the PC gaming community had the slightest bit of dignity way more people would at least try Steam with the Linux distribution of their choice. It is frigging FREE. I deleted my Windows partition when Proton was made public as I only used it for gaming. Never looked back.

Valve has done a lot of good for the PC gaming community. From something you'd take for granted like the universal game controller wrapper for people who doesn't use a Xbox controller to the release of the Steam Link client for the Raspberry Pi when they discontinued the hardware.

If Microsoft, Epic or Discord ever come close to what Valve has done for us I'll consider using their stores.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:24 PM
Graphics Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
Oh man, it is so sad to see a company trying to give the PC gaming community a bit more freedom and some people dismissing it because they just can't even grasp the concept.

If the PC gaming community had the slightest bit of dignity way more people would at least try Steam with the Linux distribution of their choice. It is frigging FREE. I deleted my Windows partition when Proton was made public as I only used it for gaming. Never looked back.

Valve has done a lot of good for the PC gaming community. From something you'd take for granted like the universal game controller wrapper for people who doesn't use a Xbox controller to the release of the Steam Link client for the Raspberry Pi when they discontinued the hardware.

If Microsoft, Epic or Discord ever come close to what Valve has done for us I'll consider using their stores.
Your thinking like someone who is surrounded by fluent computer users. It's sad that I need to point out that 97% of the market would have no idea how to do any of that and wouldn't care enough to figure it out. Valve like any company has to choose what to do with it's resources and this seems like a waste. I'd much rather see them work on...oh idk... Some kind of trilogy or something.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 200 (Unique: 90)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Your thinking like someone who is surrounded by fluent computer users. It's sad that I need to point out that 97% of the market would have no idea how to do any of that and wouldn't care enough to figure it out.
Yeah, who would think that posting in a supposedly enthusiast and technical forum would raise such an inane point.

Valve like any company has to choose what to do with it's resources and this seems like a waste. I'd much rather see them work on...oh idk... Some kind of trilogy or something.
It is a good thing that it is not up to you.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
Microsoft's recent push for pc has nothing to do with valve. It's a pivot due to the fact that Xbox isn't selling well enough to justify high budget console exclusives, and because Microsoft is building a library of game they'll be able to use to start a subscription service on PC similar to what they already do with Xbox. There is no time line correlations to support your theory but there are plenty for mine. SteamOS died long before Microsoft renewed interest in PC.
SteamOS never died so much as it never really happened. It's just vanilla Debian with a clunky controller UI bolted on that Valve itself recommends not using on your main PC. I seriously doubt Valve ever thought that it would rival even the popular Linux distros, but just wanted to get the ball rolling, and if the thing actually took off and sold, well, great. Valve has the money to burn and a decided lack of shareholders needing quarterly returns so that when Gabe has an idea he can play with that idea. But Valve doesn't want to be in the operating system business, they have Canonical, Red Hat, and several others to do that for them. Valve just wants to sell games, even their own games when they decide to make one.

As for Microsoft, MS has been trying replicate Apple's ecosystem for a while, and can't ironically enough because the relative openness of the platform compared to the iron fist Apple has always maintained is stopping them from walling off their garden. And then Valve announced that they were opening up a Linux store front after the launch of Windows 8, because Gabe hated flat design like the rest of us. And now several years later Valve announces that they are paying special attention to Linux that will not pay off financially for the foreseeable future, but hey, if you want to jump ship from Windows you can still play all your games because here's this new version of WINE(Proton+DXVK) that they've been funding for two years in secret that's easy to use and in a few years will just work once they really get the kinks out. Oh, and they REALLY helped out the AMD open source driver team(MESA is better than AMD 's drivers now). You're going to tell me that all of this did not alarm Microsoft?

Internet Explorer is no more. Edge is now Chromium, because they have this big damn E icon that they have to do, something, with. Because it's Windows and you have to have a big E somewhere on the screen that you never click when you're using Windows that you also can't delete. Oh, and Microsoft is now publishing it's own Linux distro. It's an IoT nightmare, but hey, it's technically Linux just like Android. Take a look around kid, Microsoft is now outsourcing the heavy lifting of it's web browser to Google since they know you're going to switch anyway. MS is outsourcing the kernel of their new OS to the Linux Foundation, and basically just copying Google's strategy with Android. Windows 10 has a Linux sub-system and it ain't there to run LibreOffice. It's a just a matter of time before Windows is some sort of bastardized Linux OS, similar to iOS being a UNIX operating system. The whole tech world is converging, which is not a happy thought for me, because once upon a time Linux was here to free us from the Microsofts and the Googles, but now those big players are planning to use it to build a prison around us.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.

Last edited by Jarhead; 01-25-2019 at 01:47 AM.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:49 PM
Frequency is Megabytes

Rep: 231 (Unique: 112)
It is only a matter of time before EdgeOS will become a thing and everything will be based on Android.

(Not to be confused with Ubiquiti Networks EdgeOS.)

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:44 PM
Graphics Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
SteamOS never died so much as it never really happened. It's just vanilla Debian with a clunky controller UI bolted on that Valve itself recommends not using on your main PC. I seriously doubt Valve ever thought that it would rival even the popular Linux distros, but just wanted to get the ball rolling, and if the thing actually took off and sold, well, great. Valve has the money to burn and a decided lack of shareholders needing quarterly returns so that when Gabe has an idea he can play with that idea. But Valve doesn't want to be in the operating system business, they have Canonical, Red Hat, and several others to do that for them. Valve just wants to sell games, even their own games when they decide to make one.

As for Microsoft, MS has been trying replicate Apple's ecosystem for a while, and can't ironically enough because the relative openness of the platform compared to the iron fist Apple has always maintained is stopping them from walling off their garden. And then Valve announced that they were opening up a Linux store front after the launch of Windows 8, because Gabe hated flat design like the rest of us. And now several years later Valve announces that they are paying special attention to Linux that will not pay off financially for the foreseeable future, but hey, if you want to jump ship from Windows you can still play all your games because here's this new version of WINE(Proton+DXVK) that they've been funding for two years in secret that's easy to use and in a few years will just work once they really get the kinks out. Oh, and they REALLY helped out the AMD open source driver team(MESA is better than AMD 's drivers now). You're going to tell me that all of this did not alarm Microsoft?

Internet Explorer is no more. Edge is now Chromium, because they have this big damn E icon that they have to do, something, with. Because it's Windows and you have to have a big E somewhere on the screen that you never click when you're using Windows that you also can't delete. Oh, and Microsoft is now publishing it's own Linux distro. It's an IoT nightmare, but hey, it's technically Linux just like Android. Take a look around kid, Microsoft is now outsourcing the heavy lifting of it's web browser to Google since they know you're going to switch anyway. MS is outsourcing the kernel of their new OS to the Linux Foundation, and basically just copying Google's strategy with Android. Windows 10 has a Linux sub-system and it ain't there to run LibreOffice. It's a just a matter of time before Windows is some sort of bastardized Linux OS, similar to iOS being a UNIX operating system. The whole tech world is converging, which is not a happy thought for me, because once upon a time Linux was here to free us from the Microsofts and the Googles, but now those big players are planning to use it to build a prison around us.
Cool rant but there's too much here for me to spend time correcting, though I will point out that Microsoft is only switching to chromium because google keeps changing the code of their websites to mess up other browsers and Microsoft got tired of it. It's not even a little bit for the reason you stated.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:45 PM
Panzerjäger Tiger Ausf. B

Rep: 47 (Unique: 29)
Quote: Originally Posted by Seronx View Post
It is only a matter of time before EdgeOS will become a thing and everything will be based on Android.

(Not to be confused with Ubiquiti Networks EdgeOS.)
That would be quite a disaster......

Dark Repulser
(21 items)
CPU
Intel I5 4670K
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G55 (MS-7821)
GPU
Sapphire R9 290X
RAM
2xCORSAIR 8GB Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz CL9 CML8GX3M1A1600C9
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 850 Pro
Power Supply
XFX Pro 650W Modular Edition
Cooling
2x Laing DDC-Pumpe 12V DDC-1Plus with aquacover dual ddc top
Cooling
Aquacomputer aquaero 6 XT
Cooling
2x alphacool nexxxos xt45 360
Cooling
Koolance VID-AR290X Water Block
Cooling
Aquacomputer cuplex kryos PRO
Cooling
Phobya reservoir
Case
Fractal Design Define S
Operating System
Windows 7 HP
Operating System
Kubuntu
Monitor
LG IPS277L
Monitor
LG W2486L
Monitor
LG 27MU67-B
Keyboard
SpeedLink DarkSky black
Mouse
Logitech M705
Audio
Integrated devices
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in