[CNET] Google may break ad blockers with upcoming Chrome change - Page 13 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[CNET] Google may break ad blockers with upcoming Chrome change

post #121 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:34 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 109 (Unique: 96)
Don't understand how so called "power users" here can prefer Chrome over Firefox and it's about:config customization. It's literally like the difference between a desktop PC and a Gameboy in terms of the level of control one has.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:27 PM
Not a Fan

Rep: 162 (Unique: 126)
Quote: Originally Posted by jfriend00 View Post
It would be more effective and more ethical for you to avoid using sites that have ads that annoy. What you're doing is analogous to pirating cable TV because you think their rates are too high. In both cases, you're refusing to pay for a service, yet consume it anyway because you don't like how they get paid.

So, you have no qualms at all about using this site while denying them any source of revenue to pay for running the site? Do you realize that if everyone did that, this site would either disappear or only be available only to those willing pay a subscription fee (more likely, it just wouldn't exist)? In fact, the revenue model for probably 90% of the web would be busted entirely.
For years DirecTV wouldn't let me get local network channels, said I was close enough to get them via antenna. There were network feeds from east/west coast affiliates, but I could not access those because doing so would deprive the local station advertisers of views. At the same time this was going on (it's since been resolved) DirecTV was running ads describing how to get a DVR so you could skip annoying commercials. Go figure.

So me getting feeds that cut the local ads out of the loop was a no-no, but me skipping the ads with a DirecTV DVR was encouraged.

I pay DirecTV a monthly fee (roughly $200/mo, so it's not like I'm skimping by), and I use their DVR to skip commercials. There are not very many programs I watch that have commercials in them, so I DVR every show, watch it later, and skip every commercial. I even know how many 30 second skips is required per commercial break for each program.

Right now Ublock Origin shows 23 blocked domains. Before the VS takeover, it usually was around 7. I could whitelist the site back then, and actually clicked on some ads, now there's just no way.

It's been a year since the change in ownership, I went from being a fairly regular poster to only about 25 posts in that entire year. So who makes more money - 25 posts a year with 23 ads/trackers, or 25 posts a week with 7 ads/trackers?

If winning were easy, losers would do it.

It's got Async Compute, it's got what plants crave!
War Pig
(12 items)
Death Bomb
(9 items)
X-Rig
(15 items)
CPU
i9-7980XE
Motherboard
Rampage VI Extreme Omega
GPU
2080Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill F4-3600C16Q2-64GTZSW
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro X4
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-209BDK
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
HW Labs Black Ice GTX 420-480-2X240
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo CPU Heatkiller IV GPU
Cooling
2X PPCs Bitspower D5
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-7700K De-lidded @ 5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Strix Z270i
GPU
Nvidia Titan Xp
RAM
G. Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2X Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2
Power Supply
SeaSonic X750
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO CPU. Titan Xp Full Cover w/Backplate, X-TOP Revo D5 PWM Pump, Res X3 110mm Res, HW Labs GTS 280 and GTS 240, Primochill Tubing & Revolver fittings
Case
Fractal Nano S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-5960X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V Extreme 1502
GPU
EVGA Titan X
GPU
EVGA Titan X
RAM
G.Skill F4-3000C15Q-32GRK
Hard Drive
Samsung SM951 M.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-2209
Power Supply
EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1
Cooling
EKWB Blocks, Fans, and Pumps, Rads
Case
Corsair 550D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro Retail
Monitor
BenQ BL3201PH
Keyboard
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8
Mouse
Roccat Kone Pure Optical
▲ hide details ▲
post #123 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:12 PM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
Don't understand how so called "power users" here can prefer Chrome over Firefox and it's about:config customization. It's literally like the difference between a desktop PC and a Gameboy in terms of the level of control one has.
More customization != better.

If I don't need more than what Chrome affords me, why should I switch over to a slower browser? I used to run Firefox, but I switched over to Chrome when ScriptSafe and ublock Origin became available. That's all I need in a browser, and I won't suffer a slower experience for the sake of your principle.

Firefox DOES do one thing better than Chrome for my utilization, and that's fullscreen. Other than that, Firefox is not a valid alternative for me.

In any case, I'm using Brave now, so the Chrome vs Firefox debate is essentially not a concern of mine anymore.

inb4 "lol I'm a power user and you suck"

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:01 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
If I don't need more than what Chrome affords me, why should I switch over to a slower browser?
Only browser that can actually defend against fingerprinting, like I said if you don't do that you already lost any resemblance of privacy; might as well not have any privacy settings at all.

More customization != better.
I used to run Firefox, but I switched over to Chrome when ScriptSafe and ublock Origin became available. That's all I need in a browser, and I won't suffer a slower experience for the sake of your principle.
It does in this case, in the general theme of this thread it does. There's way more to safe browsing than simply blocking scripts/ads, the customization level in about:config and the way you can harden your browser steps up your safety to a whole other level. Can you even disable ALL third party cookies in Chrome or auto playing media elements? Preventing downgrade attacks, blocking unsafe TLS/SSL versions, preventing all sorts of extra tracking and websites pinging the status of your devices e.g. battery/mic/webcam, setting your reefer header policy, etc. There's just too much, there's a reason Tor browser is based on Firefox and not Chrome...

inb4 "lol I'm a power user and you suck"
You don't suck, like many you're just not informed on the modern techniques used to attack people on the internet or invade their privacy so you think Google Chrome is adequate.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #125 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:20 PM
mfw

Can you even disable ALL third party cookies in Chrome or auto playing media elements?
Yes, with the proper add-ons, and Brave does this as well natively. You have to whitelist everything manually, at which point, should anything untoward happen, it's on the user and not on the browser.

The Tor browser is based on Firefox's source code because, like you said, the latter is more customizable and the teams began collaborating. The team behind Brave probably chose Chromium because it enables them to build their software the way they want to while taking advantage of some of the benefits of Chrome.

Chrome does what I need it to do with a selection of add-ons (I have 4 of them installed), and Brave does it as well (with less of them). Now, am I not a power user for knowing how to customize a specific browser to suit my specific needs? I think I am. Is my validity as one in question if I don't use Firefox instead? I don't think so. One of these was the implication in your first post, which is why I replied.

If, instead, your definition of "power user" is different from mine, it'd be helpful if you could elaborate.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToTheSun!; 01-30-2019 at 02:24 PM.
post #126 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 319 (Unique: 272)
I now get malware notices in Chrome with Blur [anti-tracking/ad extension] active.

Can anyone explain to me why MSI needs our laptops back on top of the wholesale price they're already more or less recouping from us with their GT72(s)/GT80(s) trade in program? MSI isn't a company you can trust!
post #127 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:14 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1092 (Unique: 517)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
I really don't understand why people defect to Brave instead of Firefox.
I just don't personally like Firefox and never have. Brave looks and works just like Chrome which is what I've been using as default browser for years.

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

post #128 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:01 AM
Old to Overclock.net

If, instead, your definition of "power user" is different from mine, it'd be helpful if you could elaborate.

A "power user" in this case in the classical sense/historically on the internet would typically be one to renounce anything that forces something or a specific config, one that prefers complication and control over simplicity and walls. Anything that walls them in somehow would sort of be the anti-thesis of the power user philosophy, kind of like why Apple products are not popular among the serious computer people circles.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #129 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:57 AM
mfw

A "power user" in this case in the classical sense/historically on the internet would typically be one to renounce anything that forces something or a specific config, one that prefers complication and control over simplicity and walls. Anything that walls them in somehow would sort of be the anti-thesis of the power user philosophy, kind of like why Apple products are not popular among the serious computer people circles.
Your definition seems strangely tailored to meet the argument you're making. It's very different from my own and most other people's.

Coincidentally, it also means only Firefox users are power users. If that's the case, I'll happily be a "casual".

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #130 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 07:30 AM
Desktop builder & OC

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
This is going too far. Hopefully the amount of total income they make will be much lower after this move (if they do this appalling thing). Customers will use different services to a degree that is enough to offset add revenues increase from this.

I guess it's mostly a privacy issue, but I take privacy seriously as I am sure the good folks here do too. Worse is that forced adds which contain malware will also slip through. It's kind of an anti - anti-malware policy.
Even if the chances of being affect by browsing without blocking adds and getting a virus is still low, millions use it. Some people will get various malware infections directly as a result of this disgusting policy.

I used to really like chrome and google as a company. That's been waining over the past 18 months, and this announcement, if it happens will probably cause me not to use any of there services anymore.
Problem is, if this is done, and does mean more profits for them, then I guess others like firefox will do the same. The amount of info gathering even with good anti-malware running and sensible browsing is getting much more all the time. Governments need to act and curtail by law what can be gathered. I believe the EU do it to some extent, but not enough. The USA? I have heard nothing. Bad.

i7 8086k de-lidded @ 5.20GHz. GTX1080ti ftw 3. Taichi z370.
Trident z cl15 2 x 8GB sticks. Acer XB270HU 1440p 144Hz IPS 27 inch G-Sync

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in