[CNET] Google may break ad blockers with upcoming Chrome change - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[CNET] Google may break ad blockers with upcoming Chrome change

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:44 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Imouto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,748
Rep: 206 (Unique: 95)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
us Opera users with the "Use Chrome Extensions" extension welcome you refugees
Maybe I'm missing the joke here but Opera is based on Chromium (Chrome). So if adblockers were to stop working with Chromium all browsers branching from it would have the same fate.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
Imouto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:53 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli
 
The Pook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,452
Rep: 952 (Unique: 587)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
Maybe I'm missing the joke here but Opera is based on Chromium (Chrome). So if adblockers were to stop working with Chromium all browsers branching from it would have the same fate.

Chromium Engine is open-source, Opera (or any other Chromium based browser) can just choose not to implement it.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(7 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 4133
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Keyboard
Rii RKM709 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲


The Pook is offline  
post #13 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:02 PM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8,857
Rep: 293 (Unique: 214)
R.I.P. Chrome, right where it belongs. Google controlled slow behemoth inside and out. What's next? Mandatory ad popups from Google's advertising? Partnership with IOI?

The only hope for Chrome users is that Chromium forks hard and stops accepting any changes from Google but gets taken over by open source and non Chrome browsers switch from Chrome as the base to Chromium even more.

Considering the endless issues with Chrome that they do not want to resolve nor allow users to change in config, certainly not switching to it now.
How about, Google, why don't you stop supporting (opening) YouTube on anything but Chrome browsers, see how long you make it. Same kind of stupid decision as with the extension limitations. First FF changes their API to be more limited despite developers complaining about missing features, now Google messes up their Chrome big time to raise their income.

Don't be evil. I guess that means don't do anything good when you're a devil. Google/Alphabet right there smoldering in hell. Bring on the antitrust/anti monopoly already.
JackCY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:10 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Imouto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,748
Rep: 206 (Unique: 95)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
Chromium Engine is open-source, Opera (or any other Chromium based browser) can just choose not to implement it.
Hahahaha! Good one!

Wait... you're not joking...

Google owns the Chromium project. The changes are made on the Chrome API and if you don't implement them there are no more extensions for you adblocking or not. It being open source only means that you can fork it if you don't like the way it is going but I guess that Opera and others chose Chromium as their foundation because they can afford to develop their own.

Just to put things under perspective, Firefox is open source too and when they changed the add-on system everyone had to adapt to that or fork and get out the door.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
Imouto is offline  
post #15 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:51 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
cainy1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Middle of nowhere, Australia
Posts: 728
Rep: 34 (Unique: 27)
I only have chrome installed for testing purposes anyway..

I never used it as my main browser.

cainy1991 is offline  
post #16 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:07 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
essanbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NorthWest Florida
Posts: 1,098
Rep: 101 (Unique: 82)
Firefox and Duckduckgo. G's search algorithm is so biased and manipulated I don't use it anyway, much less, their crap browser...

Big Blue
(14 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard
P8P67 DELUXE
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 FTW
RAM
G.Skill
Hard Drive
Western Digital WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
Optical Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Power Supply
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT 775W
Cooling
SWIFTECH H20-320 EDGE HD APOGEE HD WATER BLOCK
Case
APEVIA X JUPITER S TYPE METALLIC BLUE
Operating System
WIN7 64bit
Monitor
ASUS VE258Q
Mouse
RAZER DEATHADDER 3500dpi
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Other
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB for OS
▲ hide details ▲
essanbee is offline  
post #17 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:38 PM
Politically incorrect
 
lombardsoup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,608
Rep: 156 (Unique: 89)
Yet another reason to dump Chrome.

lombardsoup is offline  
post #18 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:56 PM
Waiting for 10 and 7nm
 
tpi2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,908
Rep: 870 (Unique: 494)
Ad-blockers / cross-site request blockers / script-blockers should be considered a big part of modern Anti-virus technology, essential to browse the web in safety. What Google plans to do is utterly irresponsible and is only to cater to their own ad business, finally completely tilting the scales in the corporation's benefit to the detriment of hundreds of millions of people. This is not an open web, what Google wants is an appified web, a closed system that you can't inspect and filter. In essence, more in line with their store walled garden.

History tends to repeat itself when given the same circumstances. Microsoft exerted all its market power back in the beginning of the century with Internet Explorer 6, and now that Google is the new Microsoft (with Microsoft adopting the Chrome engine inside Edge, no less), they are going to try to do it too. "Be unavoidably evil", that's in practice their new mantra.

This time around though, with ad networks being used to deliver malware and steal banking information, I don't think that Google understands the colossal backlash that awaits them for such a gall move. This is not how you solve your business (read: ad related) problems. The advertisement model on the Internet is broken. Ads should preferably be self-hosted by publishers and in any case, should never be more than static images / small animated GIFs / text with a link to the advertiser's site that you can click on if you want to. No javascript, no flash, no auto-playing videos and no myriad of cross-site requests to a myriad of who-knows-where-they-came-out-of ad networks.

The cross-site request system as it currently stands exists for several reasons, one of them being maximising user tracking and profiling directly, but also because companies don't trust each other to have data relayed to them second hand to determine ad related payments. So, it's kind of rich for these companies and Google at the top among them, to pretend to assume that people on the other end of the line (Internet surfers) will be perfectly fine with trusting almost everything that comes from a bunch of people who don't trust each other.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲


tpi2007 is offline  
post #19 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:00 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
ILoveHighDPI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,185
Rep: 132 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by drewafx View Post
Best seller in 2019: Network wide hardware based ad, tracking, pop up blocker...
It's just bad business for consumers who get close to $0 quality content while paying $1 for attention to ad companies.
I'd say actual content comes from creators with non-ad revenue.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If 99.999% of Websites die tomorrow, I would be perfectly happy.

E-Commerce is the only part of the Internet that actually provides significant benefit to society as a whole, and is (or should be) utterly separated from Ad Networks.

(Also note that Wikipedia is still Ad Free, so that really cuts a hole in the idea that "Ad Supported Websites" are critical to enabling the Internet to provide a positive impact on society).

Last edited by ILoveHighDPI; 01-24-2019 at 06:21 PM.
ILoveHighDPI is offline  
post #20 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:12 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Kana Chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 683
Rep: 16 (Unique: 14)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Ad-blockers / cross-site request blockers / script-blockers should be considered a big part of modern Anti-virus technology, essential to browse the web in safety. What Google plans to do is utterly irresponsible and is only to cater to their own ad business, finally completely tilting the scales in the corporation's benefit to the detriment of hundreds of millions of people. This is not an open web, what Google wants is an appified web, a closed system that you can't inspect and filter. In essence, more in line with their store walled garden.

History tends to repeat itself when given the same circumstances. Microsoft exerted all its market power back in the beginning of the century with Internet Explorer 6, and now that Google is the new Microsoft (with Microsoft adopting the Chrome engine inside Edge, no less), they are going to try to do it too. "Be unavoidably evil", that's in practice their new mantra.

This time around though, with ad networks being used to deliver malware and steal banking information, I don't think that Google understands the colossal backlash that awaits them for such a gall move. This is not how you solve your business (read: ad related) problems. The advertisement model on the Internet is broken. Ads should preferably be self-hosted by publishers and in any case, should never be more than static images / small animated GIFs / text with a link to the advertiser's site that you can click on if you want to. No javascript, no flash, no auto-playing videos and no myriad of cross-site requests to a myriad of who-knows-where-they-came-out-of ad networks.

The cross-site request system as it currently stands exists for several reasons, one of them being maximising user tracking and profiling directly, but also because companies don't trust each other to have data relayed to them second hand to determine ad related payments. So, it's kind of rich for these companies and Google at the top among them, to pretend to assume that people on the other end of the line (Internet surfers) will be perfectly fine with trusting almost everything that comes from a bunch of people who don't trust each other.
chrome://net-internals/#dns

That feature doesn't work anymore in the recent versions of chrome?
Kana Chan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off