[CNET] Google may break ad blockers with upcoming Chrome change - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[CNET] Google may break ad blockers with upcoming Chrome change

post #31 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 603 (Unique: 288)
My Tomato powered AC66U with ad block function laughs at Google and ads.

The most hilarious thing is that people actually trusted DARPA created Google and their 'Don't be evil mantra', without realising only psychopaths use such motto's.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 62 (Unique: 51)
Welp, Brave or Firefox, here I come!

My Pi-Hole Docker takes care of A LOT, but I'm not always on my home network.

post #33 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 132 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by fragamemnon View Post
Will it really, though? Your average Joe very likely isn't even familiar with the concept of ad-blocking.
This is the sad reality, and why I don't consider it wrong to use an ad-blocker.
Every website using Ad Networks knows their behavior is abusive, and the people who run browsers with all scripts running are too blissfully ignorant to care that they are being abused.

It's an ecosystem well outside of the influence of a few Nerds. We have every right to opt-out and if a website doesn't like it they can block me like Bloomberg does. Their loss.

I recently installed Edge on my new Android phone, amazingly, Adblock Plus is built in by default (but not "enabled").
(and I quickly discovered Firefox Focus: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/mobile/ )

I wonder if Apple will ever create their own Adblock in Safari just to spite Google.
As-is I already use iOS Safari daily, but with Javascript OFF, and it's basically totally ad-free.
Apple just needs to make a quick button to flip Scripts on and off, plus a whitelist to automatically allow access for critical websites (banking) without letting ads pop up everywhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 120)
Of course Google are going to do this. It's in their interests as they own Youtube. Nevermind the other sources of ad revenue they make.

If you've used the internet for productivity (like most of us) for at least the last decade or so, you'd have seen this coming a mile off with how obnoxiously distracting (and commonplace) adverts are. Nevermind the security issues they cause (Virus infections, tracking and personal data).

If you havn't been using an alternative already, for at least the last decade, you've been contributing to the declining standard that is Internet Surfing. Congratulations.

Even trusted websites, with poor advertising, can become serious security risks. I don't allow myself, or my family, to browse the net unless there's strict ad blockers on everything (Consequently, i hate smartphones as their designed to be mobile billboards and tracking tools)

Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
It's an ecosystem well outside of the influence of a few Nerds. We have every right to opt-out and if a website doesn't like it they can block me like Bloomberg does. Their loss.
Hah yeah, websites that completely block me from them are websites i'm happy to go without. Ironically one website blocked me because i had an adblocker yet the page i was visiting was a tutorial on....how to install an adblocker. Double standards and i think this sort of policy reflects VERY badly in that website/company. Good riddance.

Umbra
(10 items)
CPU
i7 7700K
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix z270i ITX
GPU
Zotac 1070 Mini
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4
Hard Drive
2x 2TB Seagate Guardian Barracuda 2.5"
Hard Drive
M.2 Western Digital Black 256GB
Optical Drive
Panasonic UJ-265 SATA Slot Blu-ray Writer
Power Supply
700w Silverstone SST-SX700-LPT SFX
Cooling
Heatkiller v3 CPU Block
Case
Cougar QBX Mini
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Thingamajig; 01-25-2019 at 01:40 AM.
post #35 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:35 AM
RGB Rainbow Vomit!

Rep: 31 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by jfriend00 View Post
People who run ad-blockers are just selfish. Sites like this one ONLY pay the bills with ads. When you run an ad-blocker, you're asking everyone else who uses the site to pay for the site so you can use it. It's just selfish. If you're going to block ads, you should only use sites that you pay for with a subscription or some other fee system.

Unfortunately, there are far too many mis-behaved ads and that's one thing Google is trying to get rid of.

Disabling an adblocker is damn near foolish. Most adverts these days do not do anything to promote products and support the website its being presented on; instead they are there for the sole purpose of running malicious scripts in your browser and finding ways through any weaknesses they can find.

Besides, threes one major factor which people are missing: Websites did just fine before someone had the idea of sponsored adverts and the blind network came about.

Quote: Originally Posted by jfriend00 View Post
It would be more effective and more ethical for you to avoid using sites that have ads that annoy. What you're doing is analogous to pirating cable TV because you think their rates are too high. In both cases, you're refusing to pay for a service, yet consume it anyway because you don't like how they get paid.

So, you have no qualms at all about using this site while denying them any source of revenue to pay for running the site? Do you realize that if everyone did that, this site would either disappear or only be available only to those willing pay a subscription fee (more likely, it just wouldn't exist)? In fact, the revenue model for probably 90% of the web would be busted entirely.

Its nothing like pirating cable TV, poor analogy choice there. It'd be more like you getting cable for free anyway from the same cable company, who rely entirely on revenue from adverts between TV shows, but you change channel during the ad break.
Its also not a service you refuse to pay for, and the vast majority of the time you can find the same information, often identical copy & paste articles, from other websites which dont force you to disable an add blocker or pay monthly subscription. https://www.tweaktown.com is a prime example.

90% of the web does not rely on ad revenue, thats utter nonsense. Many use it but few rely on it for their operation, particular sites from reputable organisations or groups. Most who are in the ad network do so for additional income rather than relying on it.
Most websites are company or corporate operated with costs already covered by their relevant marketing, admin, etc budget so have no sponsored adverts at all.

Crystal
(10 items)
O M E N
(9 items)
The Movie Box
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600
Motherboard
Asus TUF B450M
GPU
EVGA 1070 Ti SC Black Edition
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb 2933MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX Fury 480Gb
Power Supply
EVGA 750GQ
Cooling
BeQuiet! Pure Rock Slim
Case
Corsair Crystal 280X White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
GPU
Nvidia GTX 965m 4Gb
RAM
Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
HyperX Fury 480Gb
Case
OMEN 15 by HP
Operating System
Windows 10 Home x64
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Audio
Creative Play!3 & M-Audio AV30.
CPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
Motherboard
MSI A88XI AC v2
GPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
RAM
8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
120Gb KingDian S280 SSD
Power Supply
CIT 500w SFX PSU
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 64plus
Case
Silverstone ML05b
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42" 1080p HD TV
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Ricwin; 01-25-2019 at 01:51 AM.
post #36 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:52 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Hi,
Funny I haven't installed chrome in 5 years and counting and never will or use android
I'm google search free for 1.5 years duck duck go is pretty good along with palemoon and firefox.

Since most sites like ocn are completely over taken by google sludge it's about all google I'll ever get.
If you want to see website traffic drop incorporate more google sludge and popup messages to disable your add blockers it works very well

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-7900x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
post #37 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 266 (Unique: 114)
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
This is a huge bummer for me as Chrome is my main browser and has been for years now. I use it mostly because it so seamlessly works between my phone and my PC due to the Google integration. But if they axe ad-blockers I will probably have to revert back to Edge.
Switch to the Brave browser. It's basically a superior Chrome. I promise you'll like it.

https://brave.com/
post #38 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:02 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 942 (Unique: 579)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
Hahahaha! Good one!

Wait... you're not joking...

Google owns the Chromium project. The changes are made on the Chrome API and if you don't implement them there are no more extensions for you adblocking or not. It being open source only means that you can fork it if you don't like the way it is going but I guess that Opera and others chose Chromium as their foundation because they can afford to develop their own.

"If you don't implement them there are no more extensions."

What does that sentence even mean? You don't implement the changes and stay on the current API and nothing changes aside from maybe losing the extensions in the store which is a non-issue if you already have them.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 4133
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by The Pook; 01-25-2019 at 07:09 AM.
post #39 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 202 (Unique: 91)
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
This is a huge bummer for me as Chrome is my main browser and has been for years now. I use it mostly because it so seamlessly works between my phone and my PC due to the Google integration. But if they axe ad-blockers I will probably have to revert back to Edge.
Good luck with that. Edge is going to be based on Chromium.

Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
"If you don't implement them there are no more extensions."

What does that sentence even mean? You don't implement the changes and stay on the current API and nothing changes aside from maybe losing the extensions in the store which is a non-issue if you already have them.
Because it is so wise to run out of date extensions.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #40 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:12 AM
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 12 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ricwin View Post
Disabling an adblocker is damn near foolish. Most adverts these days do not do anything to promote products and support the website its being presented on; instead they are there for the sole purpose of running malicious scripts in your browser and finding ways through any weaknesses they can find.
That's pure hyperbole and you know it. Most advertisers are just advertising a product. Geez. You don't secure your browser by blocking adverts. You secure your browser by getting a secure browser and running other appropriate security software that doesn't need to block ads. I don't block ads, I spend a lot of time all over the web and I've never had my PC compromised. I've never found it a security issue to let ads display. If is is for you, then you're not running a properly secured browser and PC. Sometimes it's an inconvenience to have the ads display. Sometimes, it's a performance issue. If that's the case, I struggle through what I'm trying to do at that moment and make a note to not visit that site regularly.

Besides, threes one major factor which people are missing: Websites did just fine before someone had the idea of sponsored adverts and the blind network came about.
Nope, not true. I was at Netscape near the beginning of the public internet. While there are some government and corporate websites that are not about ads, the vast majority of sites are ad supported. That's the only way they pay the bills and keep their site running. They don't just supplement their income with ads, it's their only or main income. They either go subscription only or turn off the lights if everyone does what you do.

90% of the web does not rely on ad revenue, thats utter nonsense. Many use it but few rely on it for their operation, particular sites from reputable organisations or groups. Most who are in the ad network do so for additional income rather than relying on it.
So that somehow makes it OK to block their ads. Because you think it's only supplemental income? Geez. That's not ethical at all. It's piracy.

Look at this site right here that's is allowing us to have this conversation. Apparently you are pirating it by blocking all ads and paying for the service in no other way. And, you think that's OK?

Most websites are company or corporate operated with costs already covered by their relevant marketing, admin, etc budget so have no sponsored adverts at all.
Apparently you don't get the ethics in play here at all. When you block ads on a site like this, you're denying them any income to cover your usage. So, not only are you costing them money by using their site, you are denying them the income to pay for that usage (and hopefully make a small profit). That's the way ad supported sites work. There are hundreds of millions of them. I look down the list of sites I visit regularly in my bookmarks and more than 90% of them are ad supported. Sure, every major corporation has a site that isn't ad supported, but that's not where most of us visit regularly. I'm talking about sites like twitter, dpreview, stackexchange, engadget, techcrunch and so on.

And, then you're justifying this to yourself because you think that's not their main source of income so they're somehow OK if you deny them their fair share from your use? When you seriously think about the ethics of it, it's not ethical at all.

Look, if you want to block an entire site (like never go there) that has bad ad practices, all the more power to you. That's voting in a way that makes a difference. That's ethical. But, blocking ads everywhere is simply not ethical. I can see you trying to justify it to yourself and everyone because there are a few bad apples out there, but that's not ever going to be on the right side of the ethics. You're just trying to make up an excuse for pirating services for free that you should be helping to pay for.

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB OC with Corsair RMx 750W power supply
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in