[CNET] Google may break ad blockers with upcoming Chrome change - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[CNET] Google may break ad blockers with upcoming Chrome change

post #41 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:18 AM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 204 (Unique: 129)
I didn't really need another reason to not use Chrome but the more the merrier I guess.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:33 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 367 (Unique: 181)
Quote: Originally Posted by jfriend00 View Post
But, blocking ads everywhere is simply not ethical.
Since when do companies have the right to advertise to us? Why don't we get a say?
post #43 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:03 AM
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 12 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
Since when do companies have the right to advertise to us? Why don't we get a say?
Do you get the economic model of a large portion of the sites on the internet? If everybody blocks ads, those sites all go away, including this one. This site is offered ONLY because revenue from ads pay for the site.

Without the revenue, the site probably doesn't exist or it requires a $$ subscription though in reality, most would not pay a subscription so the site probably goes away. So, when you block ads, you're essentially pirating the content and hoping that enough other people don't block ads that the site still can fund itself. That's why I say it's just selfish to block ads. You're just pushing the burden onto everyone else to pay for YOUR usage of the site. And, if enough people blocked ads like you do, then the site would disappear entirely.

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB OC with Corsair RMx 750W power supply
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 268 (Unique: 198)
Do you get the economic model of a large portion of the sites on the internet? If everybody blocks ads, those sites all go away, including this one. This site is offered ONLY because revenue from ads pay for the site.

Without the revenue, the site probably doesn't exist or it requires a $$ subscription though in reality, most would not pay a subscription so the site probably goes away. So, when you block ads, you're essentially pirating the content and hoping that enough other people don't block ads that the site still can fund itself. That's why I say it's just selfish to block ads. You're just pushing the burden onto everyone else to pay for YOUR usage of the site. And, if enough people blocked ads like you do, then the site would disappear entirely.
Patreon has already proven this wrong with youtubers.

Also, perhaps a lot less sites would be a good thing. The main problem is that there are ads that are infected with malware and the site owners won't/can't detect that and infect users. The other thing is the pop up ads that blast sound and video. I have sensitive hearing. That was the last straw for me a few years ago and I went to ublock origin. I don't mind the little pictures even some gif if you wish, but the blasting sound was the last straw for me.
post #45 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Is it really about the ads, or the tracking that seems to take place through those ads? I look at items on Amazon (or wherever), and I see ads for the same or similar items pop up on completely unrelated websites. I guess I am not allowed my privacy any longer unless I dispose of all ads, ad infinitum.
As far as websites living or dying by ad revenue, Herbert Spencer said it best, "Survival of the fittest". Perhaps someone more clever than I can come up with a new, less intrusive revenue model. In the end, it is just a website. If it ceases to exist tomorrow, the sun will still rise.

My name is 7thOmen and I am an ad blocker.

"Where's the reset button? Show ME, I'll push it!" #ResetHumanity #Thanosisright
Harley
(7 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty Gaming K4
GPU
GTX 1080
RAM
G.Skill Flare X (F4-3200C14D-16GFX)
Cooling
D5 / SR-2 240 (x2) / EKWB GPU / XSPC Raystorm V.3 CPU / Aquaero Control
Case
Lian Li PC70T-FX
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #46 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Performance is the bible

Rep: 432 (Unique: 298)
It would be more effective and more ethical for you to avoid using sites that have ads that annoy. What you're doing is analogous to pirating cable TV because you think their rates are too high. In both cases, you're refusing to pay for a service, yet consume it anyway because you don't like how they get paid.

So, you have no qualms at all about using this site while denying them any source of revenue to pay for running the site? Do you realize that if everyone did that, this site would either disappear or only be available only to those willing pay a subscription fee (more likely, it just wouldn't exist)? In fact, the revenue model for probably 90% of the web would be busted entirely.
In both cases you are completely wrong.

First off, there is no wall against not using ads. it is just like watching TV and shutting it off when there is a commercial break. Except I can skip forward "in time" without watching the ad. They provide that content for free. So I do not refuse to pay, because I do not pay regardless. I just save bandwidth and my eyes.
Secondly, I pay for my internet. And sites using heavy scripted ads are taking far bigger volume, meaning they force me to buy bigger and costlier packages in order to handle their site bandwidth. So aren't they also stealing from me?
Lastly, does a site come in the form of "warning, this site contain heavy ads and malware"? Because unless they do, how can you promise that if I whitelist OCN, tomorrow their ads vendor doesn't for some reason put a malware ad on my browser?

And to your second paragraph, sites have been using paid "advertisements" in the form of content without proper disclosure. So they are acting shady, being payed, in order to give me a "review" or "look what we found", when it is wholly untruthfully and misleading?
Why should they receive ads money from me, for being bad?

They want subscription payment? Sure, that is their choice. i would gladly subscribe to a site that give me true fully content with zero advertisements.
If a site ask me to pay for a subscription and give me crap load of ads, they can go to hell.

I'm completely fine with 90% of the current sites go down for lack of revenue because of their practice.
They we might see new sites that actually give real content, transparent, and they will be worth subscribing to.

I repeat what I said earlier. I block all ads because how they are being delivered everywhere, including OCN.
If sites stop being so crappy about it (sites or their ads providers), I would agree to stop using ad blockers, but not before. That is not a chicken or the egg kind of question. Either stop being crap, or I will continue using ad blockers as long as I can.

And one more thing about your BS about ethics.
Where is the ethics of the sites, not using disruptive ads? How about making sure their ads don't contain malware? How about ads that start to throw popups constantly? Where is their ethics? Why does ethics need to be one sided?
You want me to be ethic? I expect you to go to sites and demand that they act ethically as well.

Last edited by Defoler; 01-25-2019 at 10:18 AM.
post #47 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 41)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
us Opera users with the "Use Chrome Extensions" extension welcome you refugees
Since Opera is built on Chromium. I think that wouldn't be a good choice either.
post #48 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:14 PM
In lurking mode

Rep: 79 (Unique: 51)
But is it unethical to block ads on a site like this one?

While the forum has come some ways since it was acquired by VertcalScope (VS), a year ago the forum was just about unusable. For the most part, it was quickly ported from the platform Huddler was using to vBulletin without what some might call proper vetting. I say that as a web developer who's been doing such work since the advent of Netscape in 1994.

Anyway, to manage its collection of forums, VS uses an older, heavily modified version of vbulletin (v3.8.8) that's been around in some iteration or another since 2009; together with an older version of Yahoo's YUI library (v2.7.0) that's being used with it. The links I've included in this paragraph describe vulnerabilities detected in both, which may or may not have been fully addressed during customizations by VS (I've no way of knowing since I don't have access to the scripts themselves, but a full scan of the site for vulnerabilities might help determine that).

Furthermore, while somewhat improved in certain areas bug-wise since the forum was acquired by VS a year ago, the platform is still fairly rife with bugs, and some of the more important features (see the punchlist) that were available to forum users while it was still managed on Huddler have yet to be addressed or fully repaired by VS.

Much of that likely has something to do with limited developer resources, the large number of forums VS has to manage concurrently, and perhaps a want/need to streamline the processes associated with such management globally. That's hard to know for sure of course without actually being privy to related, internal discussions at VS; hence, some additional information that might drive the decision to block scripts here:

I just ran a couple of simple security scans of https://www.overclock.net using a few free tools that allow for web site vulnerability scans. The results follow, which should not be considered all-inclusive:

Via UpGuard:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-25_14-30-55.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	249224

Via PenTest Tools:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-25_14-41-11.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	713.8 KB
ID:	249226

Then, there are of course these, which don't help much in the way of votes of no confidence:

Source: Krebs on Security2nd Breach at Verticalscope Impacts Millions

Source: CNNEvery single Yahoo account was hacked - 3 billion in all

There's more and I could go on and on, but given what I noted above, personally, I don't mind being a little "selfish" when it comes to anything managed by VS, or many of the web sites managed by others using clickbait-like advertising.

I'll leave questions of ethics to my doctor though, where they rightfully belong. For the most part, that is.

post #49 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:31 PM
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 94 (Unique: 63)
My time using Chrome was brief once I realized that the option to block cookies didn't actually block cookies.

Team Boinc! - Forum Folding War Team
Gentoo Linux - Telemetry Free Since 1999!
Washington Capitals 2018 Stanley Cup Champions
Boinc Desktop
(15 items)
CrunchAholic
(8 items)
NAS
(6 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator
Hard Drive
Hyper Predator M.2
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream XE 240 Radiator
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 150mm Tube Res
Case
Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
Motherboard
Asrock Rack EP2C602
RAM
64 GBs Samsung M939B1K70CHD-CH9 PC3-10600R
Hard Drive
Samsung HD322HJ
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
CPU
i3-4130T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM
CORSAIR CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 6TB x3
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
▲ hide details ▲

post #50 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Performance is the bible

Rep: 432 (Unique: 298)
Quote: Originally Posted by iamjanco View Post
There's more and I could go on and on, but given what I noted above, personally, I don't mind being a little "selfish" when it comes to anything managed by VS, or many of the web sites managed by others using clickbait-like advertising.
One thing I want to say regarding this.

Since they moved to the new format, I have been forced to blocking heavy facebook, google, twitter, scorecard (wth is it doing on this site?), and about 6 other advertisement sites scripts.
The site used to be a lot more friendly in terms of how much crap it was running in the background (even with bugs and all).
I do not want to visit OCN and have everything I do on OCN recorded by the above sites. In a way, I feel it is violating my own privacy.

If OCN wants to show ads, it is fine as long as they are in a limit of acceptable and not overflowed. But I see no reason to provide facebook and their friends with so much more without even a simple consent request and options to op-out.

Talking about ethical, is that ethical that a site will collect and provide data without letting me know who and what they are sharing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in