[Nvidia] DLSS boosts Port Royal Benchmark performance by up to 50% - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Nvidia] DLSS boosts Port Royal Benchmark performance by up to 50%

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:04 PM
It Just Works

I regard DLSS as a better upscaling option rather than a better/faster AA solution. Monitors are generally terrible at displaying content at non-native resolutions (and "regular" GPU scaling is barely any better). I welcome any progress in this field, but it would be nice if game developers could add an option for nearest neighbor 1080p->4k upscaling. It could be architecture-agnostic and thus available to everyone instead of just Nvidia Turing users.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:26 PM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 436 (Unique: 300)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
while DLSS on the other hand uses a lower resolution then upscaled with a smart scaler.
Well that is not exactly what they are doing.

Nvidia are running a game at super sampling higher resolution, and then based on that information, know where and when they don't need to run high sample.
It isn't just rendering something at 1080p and upscale to 1440p, but it runs at higher than 1440p, checks where and when it can scale it down, use its "AI" to predict the AA requirements, and then run the AA through both upscaled and downscaled textures.

The more times it runs the same scenarios, the better the profile becomes, and then it can run DLSS better, making it as good as regular AA.

You can read about a bit of it here (1 minute of google search...).

probably because the render benchmark had predetermined frames, where the trained AI is already aware of what to adjust to make it better.
But that happens to every game or benchmark.
Once the system runs enough times to predict the DLSS usage, it knows when to use it even on a dynamic scenario.

Of course on a benchmark as you run the same thing over and over and over again, you get the best results. But do the same to a game, and you might also get better results.

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Not new to overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 62)
Hmm this is interesting. Im going to go re-run it now and see. When I ran before the update, the frametimes were S K Y H I G H and pretty brutal. Very little CPU usage too, wonder if DLSS adds any load to the CPU

Sandy-Capable
(14 items)
CPU
i7-8700k
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus X Code
GPU
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming Trio
RAM
GSkill Trident Z Rgb
Hard Drive
970 evo
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G3
Cooling
H150i Pro
Case
LianLi PC011 Air
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
HP Omen 27"
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Razer Abyssus
CPU
i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3
GPU
MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme
GPU
MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme
RAM
Gskill Sniper 8gb 1866mHz @ 1.35v
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 pro
Optical Drive
Lite-On
Power Supply
Corsair hx 750
Cooling
rs 240
Case
OBSIDIAN 800D
Operating System
WINDOWS 7 64
Monitor
Alienware aw2310
Keyboard
corsair k70
Audio
Logitech Z906
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 20 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Well that is not exactly what they are doing.

Nvidia are running a game at super sampling higher resolution, and then based on that information, know where and when they don't need to run high sample.
It isn't just rendering something at 1080p and upscale to 1440p, but it runs at higher than 1440p, checks where and when it can scale it down, use its "AI" to predict the AA requirements, and then run the AA through both upscaled and downscaled textures.

The more times it runs the same scenarios, the better the profile becomes, and then it can run DLSS better, making it as good as regular AA.

You can read about a bit of it here (1 minute of google search...).

But that happens to every game or benchmark.
Once the system runs enough times to predict the DLSS usage, it knows when to use it even on a dynamic scenario.

Of course on a benchmark as you run the same thing over and over and over again, you get the best results. But do the same to a game, and you might also get better results.
NVidia is running the game super sampled in their data centers to build up a DLSS profile for each application that supports it. The games run at a low resolution locally and use that data to upscale. A smart upscaler is exactly what it is until and unless NVidia decides to ever implement DLSS 2x which they probably won't.

To be clear, absolutely nothing about DLSS does any local super sampling. That notion is completely false.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:03 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 319 (Unique: 231)
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
I regard DLSS as a better upscaling option rather than a better/faster AA solution. Monitors are generally terrible at displaying content at non-native resolutions (and "regular" GPU scaling is barely any better). I welcome any progress in this field, but it would be nice if game developers could add an option for nearest neighbor 1080p->4k upscaling. It could be architecture-agnostic and thus available to everyone instead of just Nvidia Turing users.
You could replace the DX library as many graphics enhancing and modifying tools do and then upscale with any scaler you want.

Game devs don't care to add "fancy" features for edge use cases so it's up to modders as always. Would be stupid simple to do on GPU driver but they also always seem to have hands full of something else.

As UltraMega said, AI AA for a fixed benchmark is a best case scenario, period. Yet on top of that they had to resort to using the worst TAA, well the worst any AA, they could for comparison.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:00 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 216 (Unique: 124)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
You could replace the DX library as many graphics enhancing and modifying tools do and then upscale with any scaler you want.
wait, really? this is good info, i wish they just gave us an option to natively select scalers.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:27 PM
It Just Works

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Game devs don't care to add "fancy" features for edge use cases so it's up to modders as always. Would be stupid simple to do on GPU driver but they also always seem to have hands full of something else.

As UltraMega said, AI AA for a fixed benchmark is a best case scenario, period. Yet on top of that they had to resort to using the worst TAA, well the worst any AA, they could for comparison.
wait, really? this is good info, i wish they just gave us an option to natively select scalers.
I don't know of any DX overriders that can do this in DX10+. GeDoSaTo was capable of providing custom upsampling in DX9 games, but it has been abandoned. The developer of ReShade (Crosire) has stated that it's not possible to do this with his utility.

post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:56 PM
Zen

Rep: 51 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
I don't know of any DX overriders that can do this in DX10+. GeDoSaTo was capable of providing custom upsampling in DX9 games, but it has been abandoned. The developer of ReShade (Crosire) has stated that it's not possible to do this with his utility.
Well. GeDoSaTo actually renders games on that custom resolution as native so it think it is different from what DLSS is trying to provide.

My home PC
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2711
Monitor
Samsung 55" 4k
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Denon AVR-X3300W
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 64)
Huge increase in performance for me.

post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
I'm usually a lurker here, but I felt this video was relevant to the conversation. Unless something has changed since the posting of this video, DLSS isn't actually all that great. More performance at the cost of visual fidelity in quite a few cases.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in