[Nvidia] DLSS boosts Port Royal Benchmark performance by up to 50% - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Nvidia] DLSS boosts Port Royal Benchmark performance by up to 50%

post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 PM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 436 (Unique: 300)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
NVidia is running the game super sampled in their data centers to build up a DLSS profile for each application that supports it. The games run at a low resolution locally and use that data to upscale. A smart upscaler is exactly what it is until and unless NVidia decides to ever implement DLSS 2x which they probably won't.

To be clear, absolutely nothing about DLSS does any local super sampling. That notion is completely false.
Are you high?
Did you read what I wrote?
Did I say otherwise than what you said?

Also again, what you said, is a complete simplification of what they do, which you are definitely not correct. Just calling it a local upscaler is like saying bread is just wheat, nothing more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:32 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 20 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Are you high?
Did you read what I wrote?
Did I say otherwise than what you said?

Also again, what you said, is a complete simplification of what they do, which you are definitely not correct. Just calling it a local upscaler is like saying bread is just wheat, nothing more.
You did not say that outright but the way you said it sounded like that might have been what you were thinking. I just wanted to clarify. That said, yes, it is a local upscaler, one that uses information derived from Nvidias DLSS process. It could be used in other ways but nothing does yet. The only thing up for debate is your level of bewilderment by Nvidia's process. To me, it's not a bad idea or anything but not nearly as impressive as Nvidia want's us to believe.

But be offended though if you must.

Watch Dogs 2, though not a great game, does have at least one pretty cool feature. The game calls it temporal filtering for some reason but basically Watch Dogs 2 allows for checker-boarding on PC which (as someone who played Watch Dogs 2 on PC in 4K) is completely undistinguishable from non checker-boarding 4K and runs at double the FPS. Your eyes cannot see the negative effects of checker-boarding in motion, only in stills and even then it's tough to see. DLSS is a nice AA option, as are many others, but its not even close to as good as just plain old checker-boarding is. If more games on PC had that option we wouldn't even be talking about DLSS. It takes way too much to get going, Nvidia has to data mine the info for a while first, then your GPU needs to have separate non-raster capable cores to process it. It's a super inefficient way of doing something that checker-boarding does better.

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...oral-filtering

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 02-07-2019 at 10:46 PM.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
"DLSS Boosts" visible edge flicker by more than what you would get by just upscaling (from a slightly higher resolution than the base used in DLSS).
"DLSS Boosts" the price of your GPU silicon (no mainboard or RAM) by 50% on its own, and by 100% if you include the full RTX suite that is currently forced on anyone looking to buy a new Nvidia GPU.
"DLSS Boosts" absolutely nothing in games released prior to 2019, or the majority of games after 2019 (There may be some exceptions but chances are your favorite games will never have DLSS support).

Last edited by ILoveHighDPI; 02-08-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:24 AM
Otherworlder

Rep: 216 (Unique: 124)
have Nvidia allowed building your own DLSS profile though? local training sounds kinda fun, plus Nvidia could just "fish" the results from you and add it as their own.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:51 AM
Graphics Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
have Nvidia allowed building your own DLSS profile though? local training sounds kinda fun, plus Nvidia could just "fish" the results from you and add it as their own.
You're suggesting some sort of [email protected] solution to build up DLSS profiles? I think very few people would be interested in doing that, and if Nvidia proposed something like that they would seem very desperate. That would just be Nvidia asking people to do their work for them.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:55 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 776 (Unique: 446)
as soon as i read "nvidia allowed" i spit diet cola on my screen.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 152 (Unique: 89)
Use of DLSS automatically fails the benchmark.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:33 AM
Otherworlder

Rep: 216 (Unique: 124)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
You're suggesting some sort of [email protected] solution to build up DLSS profiles? I think very few people would be interested in doing that, and if Nvidia proposed something like that they would seem very desperate. That would just be Nvidia asking people to do their work for them.

yes, but it also makes it possible for DLSS to be used on more obscure games that are unlikely to get it.
so in this case, popular games will be done by Nvidia as usual, and those obscure games can be done by their own fanbase.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:35 AM
Graphics Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
yes, but it also makes it possible for DLSS to be used on more obscure games that are unlikely to get it.
so in this case, popular games will be done by Nvidia as usual, and those obscure games can be done by their own fanbase.

I mean... again I can't see anyone but the most hardcore Nvidia fanboys seeing this as a good thing. Doing their work for them, using our own hardware and electricity.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:44 AM
mfw

Rep: 368 (Unique: 193)
Quote: Originally Posted by prjindigo View Post
Use of DLSS automatically fails the benchmark.
That makes sense, though.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in