[TechSpot] Battlefield V DLSS Tested: Overpromised, Underdelivered - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] Battlefield V DLSS Tested: Overpromised, Underdelivered

post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:46 AM
RGB Rainbow Vomit!

Rep: 31 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by huzzug View Post
Could be that Nvidia have doctored the release footage of DLSS to create hype. Else, it doesn't make sense to have such disparity between release and actual games. Wouldn't put it past Nvidia either as they can lie in order to get the gullible to buy their overpriced cards.

DLSS does actually work as advertised when every single parameter is fixed and there are not variables, such as running through a scripted benchmark.
That being said, it is still even in such scenarios, nowhere near as good as Nvidia claimed (and the fanboys lauded following the DXR failures).

Crystal
(10 items)
O M E N
(9 items)
The Movie Box
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600
Motherboard
Asus TUF B450M
GPU
EVGA 1070 Ti SC Black Edition
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb 2933MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX Fury 480Gb
Power Supply
EVGA 750GQ
Cooling
BeQuiet! Pure Rock Slim
Case
Corsair Crystal 280X White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
GPU
Nvidia GTX 965m 4Gb
RAM
Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
HyperX Fury 480Gb
Case
OMEN 15 by HP
Operating System
Windows 10 Home x64
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Audio
Creative Play!3 & M-Audio AV30.
CPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
Motherboard
MSI A88XI AC v2
GPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
RAM
8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
120Gb KingDian S280 SSD
Power Supply
CIT 500w SFX PSU
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 64plus
Case
Silverstone ML05b
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42" 1080p HD TV
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post
Yea, watched the Hardware Unboxed video yesterday. Gotta see now people trying to justify the RTX 2060/2070/2080. Only the 2080 Ti brings something to the table, and that is pure performance. Ray Tracing tanking performance by 40% is not cool. Neither is useless feature as DLSS.
I can justify my purchase.
I had a 980TI, which i felt wasn't cutting it for 1440p anymore.
There were no 1080TI in stock, atleast not at a reasonable price.
The normal price for an RTX 2080 in denmark is 6.000-7.000 DKK
I got mine for 5.000DKK.
The 1080TI was 6.000DKK when it was in stock at normal prices.

I just bought it as an upgrade to a 980TI.
Regarding Ray Tracing performance. Did you think you could do it with no performance penalty?
DLSS looks like **** though. I'll not be using that feature, unless they can fix the image quality.
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:34 AM
What should be here ?

Rep: 355 (Unique: 255)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

Not sure what footage are you talking about.
The demos demoed at the demo of the DLSS.

Quote:
There were several benchmarks from FFXV and infiltrator demo,
As far as I know, FFXV implementation is crap as well due to being limited to 4K and the other is still a demo

Quote:
which are actual games, not "footage", that use DLSS.
Which are limited to one resolution and the other is a demo. Not much to go by.

Quote:
TechSpot even did their initial review about it. It is linked on the first page.
Which is meh or depends as per their own admission. P. S. Not talking about the FPS. Besides, weren't they the one who wrote about buying the RTX cards without waiting for a review. Yea.

Quote:
BFV DLSS came out 7 days ago. The first tests were, well, decent, but RTX was horrible.
I'd say DLSS and RTX both are horrible. They seem to have over promised on the cards capabilities.

Quote:
Then they released a fix to RTX, which apparently screwed up DLSS with new profiles.
That just means any modification to game can break a feature that claims to offer more performance at equal visual fidelity. Not a great showing for RTX cards.

Quote:
Whether or not nvidia bought spots for DLSS reviews and favourable words? Of course. Both AMD and Nvidia have been doing that practice since basically day one.
Just that Nvidia seems to have been caught lying more times than I can count. Their management seems incompetent. Maybe even hired a few AMD guys

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:43 AM
Top kek

Rep: 109 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by Panzerfury View Post
I can justify my purchase.
I had a 980TI, which i felt wasn't cutting it for 1440p anymore.
There were no 1080TI in stock, atleast not at a reasonable price.
The normal price for an RTX 2080 in denmark is 6.000-7.000 DKK
I got mine for 5.000DKK.
The 1080TI was 6.000DKK when it was in stock at normal prices.

I just bought it as an upgrade to a 980TI.
Regarding Ray Tracing performance. Did you think you could do it with no performance penalty?
DLSS looks like **** though. I'll not be using that feature, unless they can fix the image quality.
A performance hit of 10-20% would be something, that we would have taken probably. But not 40-50% performance loss, for negligible Image Quality improvement. On top of that, it costs more than a previous gen cards, by a good amount.

Previous Hardware:
Spoiler!
Desktop PC
(19 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8320
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ RX480
GPU
XFX RX470 Singlefan
GPU
MSI RX580 GamingX 4GB
RAM
Mushkin Redline 996996 2x4GB 2133Mhz
Hard Drive
Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB
Hard Drive
Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM 8MB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS
Hard Drive
WesternDigital Blue 500GB 7200RPM 16MB
Power Supply
Corsair TX850M
Cooling
ThermalTake Frio Silent 14
Case
ThermalTake View 27
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise 1607
Operating System
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Monitor
AOC i2267FWH
Keyboard
Logitech K120
Mouse
Bloody V5
Audio
Corsair HS30 Raptor
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 125 (Unique: 95)
I wonder what we'd get if we used raster to best imitate RTX. Portal managed to pull off mirrors so why can't we apply that to water with ripple effects? Or paint? Or glass?
In the GN video they had a graphics designer come in and explain what RTX features we were seeing and if they could have been done without RTX and the answer was alyasy yes. The reason we don't see it often in games is becasue of permanence. But if RTX slices frame rate in half becasue you stumbled across a puddle, could the alternative actually have better performance? I think we all know that it would perform much better, all it has to do is render the scene at the same time from a different angle (one that faces you) and apply that to the water or what have you. The lighting could also be made to be very close.

For those that missed it:

IMO there's no excuse for DLSS. It's 100% broken or was always vapor ware. If you can create a MUCH better image at the SAME performance level by simply up scaling a lower resolution, what hope is there for this tech?
All this is and has always been was Nvidia making something that was needed (has to be made anyway) for research, machine learning and compute then instead of cutting it off and selling us gaming cards they came up with a half baked use for the un-needed hardware so they could upsell it to gamers and they'd buy it with a smile becasue Nvida made some nice slides.

Being happy that you bought a 2080 for 15% more than the 1080TI was even though you only get about a 10% bump just blows my mind. That's what we once called a side-grade, not generational improvement If it cost the same then it would make more sense. The whole evolution of CPUs/GPUs is that the same level of performance costs less over time...but I will say that maybe we've reached a point where this no longer applies to the high end with Nvidia cards. And it's not like they made this crap for us, these aren't ray tracing features but research features that they've forcing to run lighting effects. We're just butter on the bread for buying something that can't be sold for $5000 becasue it didn't meet the standard. They only have a single new gaming card that offers reasonable price to performance and even it should cost less.The only way I could justify it's current price is if it could run Metro at 1440p/60 with RTX features turned on. Not "maxed out" bragging right settings but the ones that really improve IQ.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 02-20-2019 at 03:33 AM.
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:20 AM
mfw

Rep: 360 (Unique: 189)
Quote: Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post
A performance hit of 10-20% would be something, that we would have taken probably. But not 40-50% performance loss, for negligible Image Quality improvement. On top of that, it costs more than a previous gen cards, by a good amount.
You don't have to use ray tracing or DLSS. The 2080 is still a "traditional" card. Its performance can be judged on that basis.

Every card costs more than previous gen cards. The person you quoted wanted an upgrade, so there were 3 options: 1080ti, 2080, and 2080ti. Like previously said, the 1080ti was either out of stock or more expensive than a 2080. The 2080ti is significantly more expensive, so that might have been a consideration. Only option left is the 2080. The VII was not available till very recently, and it wouldn't make as much sense if the user had a G-sync monitor, for instance.

So, I don't know what you're even questioning. It's very easy to ride the RTX hate wave and make exaggerated claims, but there are actually valid reasons to buy a 2080, believe it or not.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire TK
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Cooler Master MP510
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:28 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 432 (Unique: 298)
The demos demoed at the demo of the DLSS.
Link please? I don't see any demos demoed at the demo of the demo that demoed the demo that was literally a demo that was a demoed demo.
You claimed footage right. What footage?

As far as I know, FFXV implementation is crap as well due to being limited to 4K and the other is still a demo
As far as you know is the meaning of you have no idea, right?
But you still put a claim based something you have no idea about.

Which are limited to one resolution and the other is a demo. Not much to go by.
Still a game, after the claim of footage. I am still waiting for that footage of demoed demo of land of demos demoed of demo.

Which is meh or depends as per their own admission. P. S. Not talking about the FPS. Besides, weren't they the one who wrote about buying the RTX cards without waiting for a review. Yea.
No. Clearly you did not read their initial review.

I'd say DLSS and RTX both are horrible. They seem to have over promised on the cards capabilities.
Maybe. But again, it is one game with the tech in for 7 days, and nvidia are working on it still.
Maybe they did over promised that. But beside BFV, 2 other games apparently show promise, and others are coming. I want to see how it goes once nvidia finish trying to fix (or ruin) it in BFV.

That just means any modification to game can break a feature that claims to offer more performance at equal visual fidelity. Not a great showing for RTX cards.
I agree with that. But when AMD tried to fix tressfx, they screwed up the whole game as well.
New tech could take time. I want to see if it turns into a new tressfx kind of failure or not.

Just that Nvidia seems to have been caught lying more times than I can count. Their management seems incompetent. Maybe even hired a few AMD guys
That is the industry standard.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hwgeek View Post
Taking that back, it came out wrong. srry ;-).
Lets hope that the next Implementation of DLSS will look better, who know maybe NV took this very seriuslly that many article and youtube reviews saying to just turn OFF DLSS,
It could definitely be a complete flop.
I'm not saying it won't. It does have potential, but it could be also completely bogus.
I do at least expect not to make claims based on false information.

Last edited by ryan92084; 02-20-2019 at 04:57 AM.
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 46)
Is DLSS better than checkerboarding?
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:49 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 432 (Unique: 298)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Being happy that you bought a 2080 for 15% more than the 1080TI was even though you only get about a 10% bump just blows my mind.
Note that the 1080 TI FE was priced at 699$ with the AIBs costing around 700-750$ (not including special versions), and the 2080 FE is 799$, but the AIBs start at 699$ as well.
If you compare FE to FE, yes, ˜15% price increase. If you compare AIB to AIB prices, they stayed the same price.
The 2080 is about 10-15% increase in performance depends on the game suit of the review.

If you move from 980 TI and the choices are 1080 TI vs 2080, the reason to upgrade is clear to choose the 2080. If yo have 1080 TI you can choose whether extra few bucks (used to new) worth getting 10% more performance, or wait to see if the RTX features are worth getting once reviewed. It can be a side upgrade, it can be a big upgrade.

post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:02 AM
What should be here ?

Rep: 355 (Unique: 255)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
As far as you know is the meaning of you have no idea, right?
No. It just means I know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
But you still put a claim based something you have no idea about.
I think people here are pretty capable of making their minds as to how DLSS and RTX has been completely useless.

Quote:
Still a game, after the claim of footage. I am still waiting for that footage of demoed demo of land of demos demoed of demo.
Maybe ask Nvidia marketing. I'm pretty sure they'd hand over the doctored footage if you ask nicely.

Quote:
No. Clearly you did not read their initial review.
Yes I did. They nor any of the other reviewers find the tech mind blowing because it isn't. It's just a fancy blackbox unscaling using pixie dust.

Quote:
Maybe. But again, it is one game with the tech in for 7 days, and nvidia are working on it still.
If it needs constant coding from Nvidia to make it work as they intended initially and the feature breaking itself if game files change, then it is another SLI'esq disaster from Nvidia.

Quote:
Maybe they did over promised that. But beside BFV, 2 other games apparently show promise, and others are coming.
There aren't many games using the useless feature for now. What promise did you see in which game that you're talking about?

Quote:
I want to see how it goes once nvidia finish trying to fix (or ruin) it in BFV.
And now there are 2 developers working to fix the game instead of 1. Impressive.

Quote:
But when AMD tried to fix tressfx, they screwed up the whole game as well.
But this isn't an AMD thread. Maybe you could try talking to someone about it if you like to, but the thread doesn't even mention AMD. Staying on topic would be refreshing when discussing the shortcomings of DLSS and RTX in context of Nvidia.

Quote:
New tech could take time. I want to see if it turns into a new tressfx kind of failure or not.
Evidently with Nvidia, it takes a lot and it always falls short.

Quote:
That is the industry standard.
2 wrongs don't make a right.

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in