[TechSpot] Google wants you to update Chrome right now - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] Google wants you to update Chrome right now

post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega X View Post
The Captcha issue is due to Firefox limiting tracking and fingerprinting abilities. IF the Captcha can't create and propagate a profile then it takes longer due to performing more tests.
I noticed this around a month ago. Captcha's have become impossible to get past with my waterfox ublock/noscript browser. They used to be possible to complete, now I just give up and do something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:26 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 104 (Unique: 93)
Quote: Originally Posted by 1Kaz View Post
I noticed this around a month ago. Captcha's have become impossible to get past with my waterfox ublock/noscript browser. They used to be possible to complete, now I just give up and do something else.

Try using an add-on called "Buster", it's exactly the type of bot Captcha's try and block yet it works to "bust" Captcha's somewhat well.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
Try using an add-on called "Buster", it's exactly the type of bot Captcha's try and block yet it works to "bust" Captcha's somewhat well.
Thanks for the suggestion, it doesn't seem to help. Buster uses the voice option to solve Captchas.
"Your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. For more details visit our help page." To be fair, I was getting this message before trying to use the buster addon. I think google intentionally disables that option to make it hard to solve their captcha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Thanks for the suggestion, it doesn't seem to help. Buster uses the voice option to solve Captchas.
"Your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. For more details visit our help page." To be fair, I was getting this message before trying to use the buster addon. I think google intentionally disables that option to make it hard to solve their captcha.

There is an applet option in the setting for the add-on that installs something on your client to simulate user clicks, it's not fool proof either but it helps even more. Seeing as you probably run a VPN too, try using a SOCKS5 proxy on top so it gives you a fresh IPV6 address instead of being part of the same IPV4 VPN pools all the time, sometimes that helps lower your "score" with Google and they let you through.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Fantastic Mr Fox

Rep: 174 (Unique: 119)
I think google intentionally disables that option to make it hard to solve their captcha.

This would prevent blind people from being able to solve CAPTCHAs. Now don't get me wrong, CAPTCHAs are an affront to accessibility, but Google wouldn't be that obtuse. I'd say they're probably using some heuristics to determine that it wasn't done by a human, much the same as they do to decide whether to show the images in the first place.

post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by iamjanco View Post
Yeah, I deal with it on a regular basis, so I know what you mean. To be honest, I usually trash such emails myself. In the case I noted though, the headers were so rich with information I couldn't pass up a chance to attempt to take the originator out.

Not saying that's going to happen, mind you. But I gave it a good shot.
My favourite thing about this scam is the claim that they have embedded a 'hidden pixel' in a plain text email. That's some serious hacking!

Sent from my ZUK Z2121 using Tapatalk
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:39 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
This would prevent blind people from being able to solve CAPTCHAs. Now don't get me wrong, CAPTCHAs are an affront to accessibility, but Google wouldn't be that obtuse. I'd say they're probably using some heuristics to determine that it wasn't done by a human, much the same as they do to decide whether to show the images in the first place.

I've read some articles on this. Google routinely does block blind people from accessing the internet through blocking the voice challenge API. Unless you run Google Chrome with full data retention/signed in Google account (so exactly what Google wants), a blind person using any type of private browsing tools will routinely be blocked from the voice captcha's at a much lower threshold than a person running the same tools but using the normal visual challenges simply due to the fact that the audio API is more prone to abuse from guys like me who use bots to solve Captcha's because were tired of being forced to do Captcha's for wanting private browsing. Lol ultimate catch 22.

Quote: Originally Posted by Annihilannic View Post
My favourite thing about this scam is the claim that they have embedded a 'hidden pixel' in a plain text email. That's some serious hacking!

Pro tip right here. People need to set their email clients to plain-text only read mode, this can save you from being owned many ways.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:27 AM
In lurking mode

Rep: 79 (Unique: 51)
Quote: Originally Posted by Annihilannic View Post

Sent from my ZUK Z2121 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I thought that was cute as heck myself.

post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by iamjanco View Post
...and that's one of the reasons why people continue to get scam emails all the time. Ignorance is bliss, eh?

Do you sincerely believe that ANYONE at the FBI read your submission and gave a crap about it? If so, then I have a bridge to sell you. I have two long time friends at the FBI here in Washington and they laugh at the idea of people reporting SPAM. BTW, I have received no less than 200 of very similar, if not identical, emails to those you reported. I recently created a filter on my server to weed them out.
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:15 PM
In lurking mode

Rep: 79 (Unique: 51)
^ all I know is I did the right thing; unlike a heck of a lot of others today. Whether or not those in positions of authority actually care is beyond my span of control

/rant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in