[Anandtech]Microsoft brings DX12 to Windows 7 - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Anandtech]Microsoft brings DX12 to Windows 7

post #21 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 57)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Regarding XP vs 7, it's very difficult to compare both because the former only has a 32-bit version for consumers, the scheduler wasn't optimized for more than two cores, with Vista and later thus performing better on quad cores and beyond, and XP also lacks support for TRIM and AVX.
Actually, there is a 64-bit version of XP, I have a copy of it. I'm sure many of your complaints about XP and Vista hold true regardless. It wasn't a terrible OS, but it was another testing ground of sorts. The main issue with it was driver support, which it didn't get because attention was directed at Vista instead.

My System
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard
Asus X470 Crosshair VII
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC Black
RAM
GSkill TridentZ RGB 3200 CL14 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Nvme 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Black 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic 1000 W Platinum
Case
Case Labs M10
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Viewsonic VP2770-LED
Keyboard
Thermaltake Poseidon MX Brown
Audio
Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:43 AM
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Rep: 870 (Unique: 494)
Quote: Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
Actually, there is a 64-bit version of XP, I have a copy of it. I'm sure many of your complaints about XP and Vista hold true regardless. It wasn't a terrible OS, but it was another testing ground of sorts. The main issue with it was driver support, which it didn't get because attention was directed at Vista instead.

Sure, but it's not the "Home Edition" consumer version as I mentioned, it's the Professional version (or the even rarer and more limited version made for Itanium systems), which never got much traction because of its limited market scope and for being very late in the OS cycle (XP Home and Professional 32-bit were launched in Oct of 2001, whereas Windows XP Professional x64 Edition was only launched in April of 2005, even after SP2).

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by tpi2007; 03-13-2019 at 01:48 AM.
post #23 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:54 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 107 (Unique: 95)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
See what I mean?
Here on a PC enthusiast forum it blows my mind just how easily most people accept defeat from MS (who makes the most commonly hacked OS
I like 10 simply because after making it behave like 7 you're left with a much faster OS that's easier on resources, plus the search bar is on point and you don't have to bother with 99% of your drivers.
I've tried and the problem is that you simply cannot ever win permanently with Win 10. Every hack or work around is routinely worked back in through an update, the OS ignores user commands for certain things, mostly privacy/data leak related, coincidence right... I have win 10 enterprise and the OS will ignore settings set through the group policy unless I trick it into thinking it's actually part of an "enterprise" by running my own corporate active directory/update server.

You cannot stop the data leakage out of it, it's futile; there's too many leaks and just when you thought you plugged them all more leaks emerge. The OS will ignore certain hosts entries if you try and block it access to MS servers. The only thing you can do to truly gain control is setting it behind a default deny out firewall at the router level and work it in whitelist mode, but then the OS thinks it's perma offline and behaves all gimped and even then if you whitelist something it will spew out encrypted data of nobody knows what from you PC. You can't inspect it, you don't know what it is or what it isn't.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
I've tried and the problem is that you simply cannot ever win permanently with Win 10. Every hack or work around is routinely worked back in through an update, the OS ignores user commands for certain things, mostly privacy/data leak related, coincidence right... I have win 10 enterprise and the OS will ignore settings set through the group policy unless I trick it into thinking it's actually part of an "enterprise" by running my own corporate active directory/update server.

You cannot stop the data leakage out of it, it's futile; there's too many leaks and just when you thought you plugged them all more leaks emerge. The OS will ignore certain hosts entries if you try and block it access to MS servers. The only thing you can do to truly gain control is setting it behind a default deny out firewall at the router level and work it in whitelist mode, but then the OS thinks it's perma offline and behaves all gimped and even then if you whitelist something it will spew out encrypted data of nobody knows what from you PC. You can't inspect it, you don't know what it is or what it isn't.
Well one main point is to no longer have updates forced upon you. Save O&O in it's own folder anywhere, when you choose to update on your own terms simply tell O&O to apply the tweaks again, ezpz. Updating is the only thing that will revert changes made, I actually never brother updating at all unless there's something I want or there's a new build. Pretty sure I ran the same build for almost a year not long ago and my changes never reverted.

O&O disables much of the network chatter as well and AFAIK it's doing the same things that 7 was after I'd tweaked it, unless I'm using firefox my network usage is 0% all the time from what I've seen but that's already less data than 7 will sent by default which makes it a moot point on the whole 7 vs 7 thing.
You and I share a similar mindset about a lot of things, I wouldn't be using 10 if I couldn't tame it as easily as it was to apply my own tweaks to 7.

Matter of fact:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.png
Views:	52
Size:	734.6 KB
ID:	258828  

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 03-13-2019 at 02:57 AM.
post #25 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:22 AM
Web Developer full stack

Rep: 23 (Unique: 21)
This is a good news.

Personally I'm on windows 7 and I don't feel the need to change. Everything is running good and I know the interface and functionality very well.

post #26 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 521 (Unique: 293)
Quote: Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post
I care. GTX 970 and W7.

So I rate your statement as false.
Steam Survey shows lots of people will likely care.

Also, the WoW thing makes perfect sense. We @ OCN tend to forget the casual gamer, playing on an ancient machine caked in cigarette smoke, still leveling their Mohawk NightElf.
post #27 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 44)
Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
Whaaaaat ?! I finally relented a few months back & upgraded one of my machines from Win7 Pro to Win10, solely to get DX12 for 2080 TIs ...all that frustration for ?
Unless you only play world or warcraft then it doesn't even matter.
post #28 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:47 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 46 (Unique: 37)
Hi,
Suppose I should of said nobody would probably notice any difference in dx12 or 11 used in a game or vulkan for that matter meaning this is not a big deal worth even thinking of

I'm sure MS has it's reasons and it's all money based you can be sure of

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-99400x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post

My question is whether you use NTLite or something similar to cut the bloat out of the ISO (often created from an ESD file)? I find I have to cut PRETTY deep to actually get out a lot of the spyware. Been doing this for years in Win 10. Unfortunately, some programs, due to this, actually run less efficient than had I left the spyware in.

As to it fixing itself, if you leave server initiated self-healing module intact, it will compare the cache stores of the components to the server list and correct that and feature settings to match that of Microsoft's servers. Instead, you need to cut deep enough that you get rid of the update module, neuter the Asimov telemetry and other telemetry monitoring and logging elements, and even this won't get rid of everything, but will destroy the bulk of the Win 10 spyware. Then, you can rely on WSUS applications to choose which updates to download and install after thoroughly disabling the windows update, cortana, etc. Unfortunately, until next month's update, gutting Cortana destroys the search bar functionality entirely (supposedly they will be allowing the removal of Cortana again with the next update like the first version of Win 10 until the Anniversary update baked that sh**cake in so deep that you couldn't remove it without messing with certain search functions). Also, some updates won't apply with your mods, requiring creating an ISO with the newest updates added to the ISO, then cutting out the components you don't want again, which then becomes a monthly endeavor to stay recent on security fixes, etc. Headache after headache.

I've seen some try to do the firewall thing, resulting in the OS constantly polling to try to report the data back, thereby tying up resources and actually doing a significant slowdown to the system. You may want to go the route of removing modules, etc. DISM is good, but has limitations, unfortunately, which is why I choose NTLite, but there are other similar freeware/shareware/paid programs that can accomplish the same goals (which are harder unless you have a working knowledge of DISM and Powershell and go through extensive editing there, reg editing, and gpedit, which is important to learn and understand what is happening and being done, but is a PITA, if being honest).

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Well one main point is to no longer have updates forced upon you. Save O&O in it's own folder anywhere, when you choose to update on your own terms simply tell O&O to apply the tweaks again, ezpz. Updating is the only thing that will revert changes made, I actually never brother updating at all unless there's something I want or there's a new build. Pretty sure I ran the same build for almost a year not long ago and my changes never reverted.

O&O disables much of the network chatter as well and AFAIK it's doing the same things that 7 was after I'd tweaked it, unless I'm using firefox my network usage is 0% all the time from what I've seen but that's already less data than 7 will sent by default which makes it a moot point on the whole 7 vs 7 thing.
You and I share a similar mindset about a lot of things, I wouldn't be using 10 if I couldn't tame it as easily as it was to apply my own tweaks to 7.

Matter of fact:
O&O, although good, is not the be all and end all of fixing Win 10. There is a LOT more that is needed (see above). Makes me wonder how much you tweaked on Win 7 and which utilities you used to do so. Either way, I would recommend, for simplicity sake, that O&O or other similar software be used in conjunction with other efforts, especially if people are not familiar with some of the more advanced methods to accomplish the same goal, or just as a time saver. But I really feel people need more awareness of exactly how spyware-y windows has become. It is BAD!

Desktop (Click to show)
Asus Maximus VIII Extreme, G.Skill 4133MHz - Running 3733MHz (MB limitation; I've had 4000, but...)@[email protected] 14-17-17-36-280 with Corsair CMXAF2 Ram fans, EVGA 980 Ti Classified (OC specs to come), [email protected]@1.42V everyday stable, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate AIO (push/pull 6xNoctua iPPC 3000), EVGA 1600 Ti PSU (for later SLI setups), Thermaltake X9 Cube, Intel 600P NVME
Laptop (Click to show)
P770ZM / Chi Mei 1080p 17.3" TN matte - OC to 100Hz / Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5GHz 1.130V Static / Nvidia Geforce 980M 8GB (current OC limit of 330MHZ Core/410MHZ VRam/ [email protected]) / Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR3 [email protected] CR-2T custom SPD / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 / Intel Wifi Dual Band 7265ac+BT / Win 7 Pro x64 - custom by NTLite / 330W PSU/Prema BIOS
post #30 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Probably pressure from developers willing to move to Vulkan, so M$ throws them a bone to keep them on their API.

What on earth people love about Win7 I don't understand since even 8.1 was better than 7. And 7 was slower than XP.
It's more about GUI changes and not actual performance why people stick with something they are visually familiar with.
8.1 was terrible. The only reason to use it was for a touchscreen. Let's have Apps (formerly known as applications, aka programs), that aren't programs and have their own menu. Don't even think about uninstalling them as a program, they don't show up in the add/remove program section. They are apps, and must be accessed through the app menu.

Windows 8 was an attempt to grab phone users, which failed bad enough to put Nokia out of business.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in