[Anandtech]Microsoft brings DX12 to Windows 7 - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Anandtech]Microsoft brings DX12 to Windows 7

post #31 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
⤷ αC

Rep: 909 (Unique: 591)
Vulkan adoption needs to go up...

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/qu...chmarks,2.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	86102.png
Views:	6
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	258906

Name:	86101.png
Views:	5
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	258908

Name:	86100.png
Views:	6
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	258904
(CPU is Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz , 6 cores with HT)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11223...k-api-overhead

From this past year, for Vega 56 with i7-8700k @ 5.1: https://www.3dmark.com/aot/259545
DirectX 11 Multi-threaded draw calls per second 2 321 868
DirectX 11 Single-threaded draw calls per second 2 596 358
DirectX 12 draw calls per second 25 528 344
Vulkan draw calls per second 24 898 888

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 03-13-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
@AlphaC
I totally agree, I'd prefer Vulcan over DX12 (obvious reasons) but at this point I'd really appreciate the industry adopting either. I don't understand a lot of the games that were made which support both, maybe it's different today but I remember every single title being worse on 12. AMD's cards did a bit better than comparable Pascal cards but I think both still did better using 11. I think I'm just missing out on the point of doing both.

@ajc9988
I actually liked 7 a lot, most things I played with were regedits but I also stripped the .ISO down to a minimum several times for various reasons, same for 10. I played around with custom skins a bit but I was never really happy with the outcome.
O&O is enough to make 10 act like 7 and it's much easier than making a custom .ISO
I'm not basing my PC off of your needs or wants, 10 is a really good improvement over 7 but I had the same complaints everyone else did with bloatware, mandatory updates, OneDrive, advertising and so on (at first it wasn't like that) so I disabled them manually at first, then made custom .ISOs before finding O&O which I actually prefer over every stripped .ISO I made or tried for my gaming rig. Stripping down the .ISO did result in a smaller size as well as lower idle hardware use but to do that I loose out on features I actually want.
If I wanted the OS you were describing I just wouldn't use Windows, the only reason I primarily use Windows is because it plays all the games and it boots really fast which is great for overclocking.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #33 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:14 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®

Rep: 67 (Unique: 44)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
It helps explain why Blizz bothered giving WoW the dx12 treatment considering the age of a lot of their playerbase's systems.

Blizzard likes turn-key solutions. Supporting Dx12 is the road of least effort. They could have went with Vulkan across the board, but instead its Dx12 and Metal instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 29)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
@AlphaC
I totally agree, I'd prefer Vulcan over DX12 (obvious reasons) but at this point I'd really appreciate the industry adopting either. I don't understand a lot of the games that were made which support both, maybe it's different today but I remember every single title being worse on 12. AMD's cards did a bit better than comparable Pascal cards but I think both still did better using 11. I think I'm just missing out on the point of doing both.

@ajc9988
I actually liked 7 a lot, most things I played with were regedits but I also stripped the .ISO down to a minimum several times for various reasons, same for 10. I played around with custom skins a bit but I was never really happy with the outcome.
O&O is enough to make 10 act like 7 and it's much easier than making a custom .ISO
I'm not basing my PC off of your needs or wants, 10 is a really good improvement over 7 but I had the same complaints everyone else did with bloatware, mandatory updates, OneDrive, advertising and so on (at first it wasn't like that) so I disabled them manually at first, then made custom .ISOs before finding O&O which I actually prefer over every stripped .ISO I made or tried for my gaming rig. Stripping down the .ISO did result in a smaller size as well as lower idle hardware use but to do that I loose out on features I actually want.
If I wanted the OS you were describing I just wouldn't use Windows, the only reason I primarily use Windows is because it plays all the games and it boots really fast which is great for overclocking.
Overall, it took a LOT of trial and error to get the ISO modded to the point where I keep functionality, but either rid the OS of the spyware or kneecap it in such a way where it doesn't function, while leaving full functionality for my software suites. Now, there is a little performance hit, likely due to certain parts polling to removed modules used for telemetry monitoring that were removed, but the hit is generally under 5% (average is around 2%, but there are a couple outlier programs that get more of a hit). I've now got it fairly good where it is stable, but without all the negative elements, while keeping the features I care about. Some things I couldn't gut without destroying fully the functionality, so kneecaps and workarounds were required. And to be clear, I have to do the same to get rid of spyware on LTSC, so I see no benefit to that over the full Enterprise ISO, which does carry some features not available under the LTSC that I see as beneficial for my uses.

Please forgive the gruffness of the first response, I've just been modding MS windows for a long while now and find Win 10 to be the absolute worst from them on amount of work it requires me to do to get the software to behave the way I want it (and to cut out the monitoring of activities on MY devices). WaaS is BS, and now we are seeing the monitoring spread into other programs and games, proliferating like a plague across the computing communities. I find people don't know what they are giving up as being a primary reason that has allowed for that proliferation. But I digress on that point.

My main purpose in addressing that was to encourage people to dig deeper, learn more, and gain more control over their devices. Many stop with O&O and software to change the start menu functionality. That is fine. But learning the intricacies of shaping the OS can also be very rewarding (at least until I master compiling my own Linux kernels, which I am learning in my spare time with some success, and some failures, lol).

Desktop (Click to show)
Asus Maximus VIII Extreme, G.Skill 4133MHz - Running 3733MHz (MB limitation; I've had 4000, but...)@[email protected] 14-17-17-36-280 with Corsair CMXAF2 Ram fans, EVGA 980 Ti Classified (OC specs to come), [email protected]@1.42V everyday stable, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate AIO (push/pull 6xNoctua iPPC 3000), EVGA 1600 Ti PSU (for later SLI setups), Thermaltake X9 Cube, Intel 600P NVME
Laptop (Click to show)
P770ZM / Chi Mei 1080p 17.3" TN matte - OC to 100Hz / Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5GHz 1.130V Static / Nvidia Geforce 980M 8GB (current OC limit of 330MHZ Core/410MHZ VRam/ [email protected]) / Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR3 [email protected] CR-2T custom SPD / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 / Intel Wifi Dual Band 7265ac+BT / Win 7 Pro x64 - custom by NTLite / 330W PSU/Prema BIOS
post #35 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:01 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1092 (Unique: 517)
Man I don't even know what to say. I honestly feel like games are held back because they can't fully support 12 alone. Since most people don't know how to control 10 (or don't feel that they should have to) they're going to stay on 7 for as long as they possibly can. Not putting 12 on 7 and drastically changing what the OS manages on 10 are both big factors here, I love 10 personally but I'd never use it in it's vanilla flavor. Installing bloatware even after you delete it is a serious slap in the face and it's only a small part of my issues with the way 10 works.

Maybe MS will see that all this is preventing 12 from really being utilized and make some changes.
I dunno, Win10 has gained a LOT of momentum over the past couple years and it has surpassed Win7 to become the new leader in OS market share. Sure, its still close at the moment, but with Win7's extended support nearing an end I expect Win10 will be the dominant OS on PC very quickly. Even the most hardcore of Win10 haters will soon have to choose between leaving MS (and all of its vast compatibility advantages) altogether or sucking it up and installing Win10.

Given that impending end of Win7 support, I do find this news rather surprising...

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

post #36 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:25 AM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 35 (Unique: 31)
See what I mean?
Here on a PC enthusiast forum it blows my mind just how easily most people accept defeat from MS (who makes the most commonly hacked OS). Turning off the new "features" was the first thing I did when it was in beta. Checked some boxes IIRC and it was done. FWIW this wasn't something exclusive to 10, I did a lot of the same edits on 7. Now I just have a few extra boxes to check, no biggie. Actually it's much easier to do this on 10 using stand alone tools like O&O.

I like 10 simply because after making it behave like 7 you're left with a much faster OS that's easier on resources, plus the search bar is on point and you don't have to bother with 99% of your drivers.
Just feel the need to point out, windows is the most hacked OS because it's the most widely used. It's not like the security is bad compared to other OSes (though I'm sure some people would argue that), it's just the largest target by far.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #37 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
I dunno, Win10 has gained a LOT of momentum over the past couple years and it has surpassed Win7 to become the new leader in OS market share. Sure, its still close at the moment, but with Win7's extended support nearing an end I expect Win10 will be the dominant OS on PC very quickly. Even the most hardcore of Win10 haters will soon have to choose between leaving MS (and all of its vast compatibility advantages) altogether or sucking it up and installing Win10.

Given that impending end of Win7 support, I do find this news rather surprising...
10 will grow...it has to. What I'm saying is that if MS would cut out the BS that everyone hates there won't be nearly as much resistance, people hear/see that Windows forces things on you by default and it's probably easier to never try and stay on 7 than it is to work with 10. I really feel like MS is the reason their own API is still totally dormant. They made a great product with a bunch of strings attached by default, even if they revert the behavior I think a lot of people would STILL stay on 7 because first impressions are everything but it would be a start. I beta tested it so I was watching the poop hit the fan but it's not possible for a piece of software to be evil or care about what it's doing so I looked past the devs and chose to make it work on my own terms. I'm probably 1% of 1% that did that though.

They might stop supporting 7 but that won't stop anyone from using it anyway. People hate 10 because it forces updates, so not receiving them for 7 won't be a big deal I wouldn't think.

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Just feel the need to point out, windows is the most hacked OS because it's the most widely used. It's not like the security is bad compared to other OSes (though I'm sure some people would argue that), it's just the largest target by far.
Unix is baked into just about anything that runs a custom GUI from washing machines to cars. Then there's the Unix based Apple OS flavors and Android...not sure but it's probably Unix based too. Windows security might have come a long way but it wasn't all that long ago that I was in the computer lab at school using the Windows/DELL machines to create my own Admin account without having one to start off with and sending commands to other PCs on the network for lulz. Windows is popular on desktop but I doubt it's the most common OS anymore, many people barely use laptops and PCs anymore. Many business are largely tablet based as well.

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #38 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:11 AM
Graphics Junkie

10 will grow...it has to. What I'm saying is that if MS would cut out the BS that everyone hates there won't be nearly as much resistance, people hear/see that Windows forces things on you by default and it's probably easier to never try and stay on 7 than it is to work with 10. I really feel like MS is the reason their own API is still totally dormant. They made a great product with a bunch of strings attached by default, even if they revert the behavior I think a lot of people would STILL stay on 7 because first impressions are everything but it would be a start. I beta tested it so I was watching the poop hit the fan but it's not possible for a piece of software to be evil or care about what it's doing so I looked past the devs and chose to make it work on my own terms. I'm probably 1% of 1% that did that though.

They might stop supporting 7 but that won't stop anyone from using it anyway. People hate 10 because it forces updates, so not receiving them for 7 won't be a big deal I wouldn't think.

Unix is baked into just about anything that runs a custom GUI from washing machines to cars. Then there's the Unix based Apple OS flavors and Android...not sure but it's probably Unix based too. Windows security might have come a long way but it wasn't all that long ago that I was in the computer lab at school using the Windows/DELL machines to create my own Admin account without having one to start off with and sending commands to other PCs on the network for lulz. Windows is popular on desktop but I doubt it's the most common OS anymore, many people barely use laptops and PCs anymore. Many business are largely tablet based as well.
People Don't do their taxes on android. Most common OS or not, it's still the most valuable target for hackers by far, though that could change sooner than later. That said, Microsoft seems to have top notch leadership now. I don't see them losing their foothold anytime soon. Android is popular now but Microsoft is looking towards the future and they already have windows pretty fleshed out in AR for hardware no one is even using yet. When mobile phones get replaced by something better, Microsoft will likely be ready for it. They're not going to let another Steve Balmer happen and completely miss out on the next big hardware shift.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #39 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yes they do:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal...s/turbotax.jsp
https://www.taxslayer.com/tax-tools/mobile-apps
https://www.hrblock.com/mobile-apps/index.html
http://www.taxact.com/tax_redirect.asp?link=E2014200
https://www.creditkarma.com/
http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools...xcaster/iphone
The list goes on and on and they all have hundreds of thousands of reviews....reviews, not downloads.

All facets of finance are done largely on mobile devices, it's much easier do do a lot of these things on mobile than it is in a browser or PC application.
Software devs generally work with hardware no one is using yet, without the software it can't be used.

Windows gets hacked easily because you can get any idiot to download an .exe if you promise them free music. The biggest security risk in windows is the user.

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 03-14-2019 at 10:47 PM.
post #40 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:46 AM
Graphics Junkie

Yes they do:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal...s/turbotax.jsp
https://www.taxslayer.com/tax-tools/mobile-apps
https://www.hrblock.com/mobile-apps/index.html
http://www.taxact.com/tax_redirect.asp?link=E2014200
https://www.creditkarma.com/
http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools...xcaster/iphone
The list goes on and on and they all have hundreds of thousands of reviews....reviews, not downloads.

All facets of finance are done largely on mobile devices, it's much easier do do a lot of these things on mobile than it is in a browser or PC application.
Software devs generally work with hardware no one is using yet, without the software it can't be used.

Windows gets hacked easily because you can get any idiot to download an .exe if you promise them free music. The biggest security risk in windows is the use.
Come on man I'm not saying people CANT do their taxes on android or some other OS, but its uncommon relatively speaking. Don't bed over backwards just to be devils advocate and completely miss the actual point.

I agree that the biggest risk to windows is the users, but that is forever going to be true for the most widely used open OS. Android is more open than iOS but it's nothing compared to windows. It's really in a league of it's own, as there is no other consumer x86 open platform OS with anywhere close to the market share that windows has, so any comparison really just falls flat.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 03-14-2019 at 03:10 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in