[Anandtech]Microsoft brings DX12 to Windows 7 - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Anandtech]Microsoft brings DX12 to Windows 7

post #41 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:07 AM
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Rep: 865 (Unique: 492)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Windows gets hacked easily because you can get any idiot to download an .exe if you promise them free music. The biggest security risk in windows is the use.

The real problem is one of education. Learning to have a minimum level of computer related understanding is the XXI century equivalent of learning to read. Excessively patronising people and not teaching them the basics will lead to the worst of both worlds, where you end up with little, walled garden choice and malware / adware.

I posted a bunch of articles a few days ago related to that about the Windows Store, here is another one from yesterday, this time pertaining to Android:

[Ars] Google Play apps with 150 million installs contain aggressive adware

Quote:
Google removes 210 apps after outside researchers report them as abusive.
Quote:
The 210 apps discovered by researchers from security firm Checkpoint Software bombarded users with ads, even when an app wasn’t open, according to a blog post published by the company on Wednesday. The apps also had the ability to carry out spearphishing attacks by causing a browser to open an attacker-chosen URL and open the apps for Google Play and third-party market 9Apps with a specific keyword search or a specific application’s page. The apps reported to a command-and-control server to receive instructions on which commands to carry out.

Once installed, the apps installed code that allowed them to perform actions as soon as the device finished booting or while the user was using the device. The apps also could remove their icon from the device launcher to make it harder for users to uninstall the nuisance apps. The apps all used a software development kit called RXDrioder, which Checkpoint researchers believe concealed its abusive capabilities from app developers. The researchers dubbed the campaign SimBad, because many of the participating apps are simulator games.

“With the capabilities of showing out-of-scope ads, exposing the user to other applications, and opening a URL in a browser, SimBad acts now as an Adware, but already has the infrastructure to evolve into a much larger threat,” Checkpoint researchers wrote.

210 apps, think about that number for a moment. What did the walled garden approach get people? A false sense of security, that's what.

Edit: And then there is this news from January:

[ZDNet] This data-stealing Android malware infiltrated the Google Play Store, infecting users in 196 countries

Quote:
Powerful Android malware capable of snooping on user location, communications logs, and stealing files and account credentials has been downloaded by at least 100,000 users around the world after successfully infiltrating the Google Play app store.
Quote:
It's possible that the apps were initially uploaded to the store without active malicious code, only for the infrastructure for conducting attacks to be added at a later date. This could have been months later, after the apps had been downloaded by large numbers of users.

"Usually Google enforce more stringent checks for new apps, but as updates are made to the app over time and they are proven not to be malicious from the offset, the level of checking may be reduced," Bharat Mistry, principal security strategist at Trend Micro, told ZDNet.

"Once the app has gained some credibility and has a good distribution of users, the app developer will then issue an update which enables the malicious features"

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by tpi2007; 03-14-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 36)
Quote: Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post
Ha! I tried the registry hacks, I deleted the service, I listed all of my internets as "Metered", nothing I did could stop it from updating. A friend also fought his, including messing with powershell, and it kept coming back like an STD.

Simply put, I purely use my W7 computer. I never have to fool with anything. My 10 laptop is currently pretty stable with few updates, but I like to go for 6 months (1 semester) with zero shutdowns or downtime. Waking up to find everything I had open suddenly closed in absolutely unacceptable. I should be able to defer updates until a time that works for me. W10 does not offer that to me. I can argue this until I'm blue in the face with users here, but they will endlessly disagree. According to them, my OS shouldn't serve me how I see fit, but instead should serve Microsoft how they see fit.

There are plenty of other issues as well, such as Msoft's strong instance on using their default programs (try accidentally clicking a link on the lock screen wallpapers which mysteriously find their way onto your computer) and tell me if it doesn't open in edge. Edge isn't and never will be my default browser.

tl;dr it's not the gui at all. It's about control and who's 'top dawg' of my computer.

Quote " I can argue this until I'm blue in the face with users here, but they will endlessly disagree. According to them, my OS shouldn't serve me how I see fit, but instead should serve Microsoft how they see fit."

You can't argue let alone reason with stupid.

Last edited by vallonen; 03-14-2019 at 07:57 AM.
post #43 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:27 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1089 (Unique: 517)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
10 will grow...it has to. What I'm saying is that if MS would cut out the BS that everyone hates there won't be nearly as much resistance, people hear/see that Windows forces things on you by default and it's probably easier to never try and stay on 7 than it is to work with 10. I really feel like MS is the reason their own API is still totally dormant. They made a great product with a bunch of strings attached by default, even if they revert the behavior I think a lot of people would STILL stay on 7 because first impressions are everything but it would be a start. I beta tested it so I was watching the poop hit the fan but it's not possible for a piece of software to be evil or care about what it's doing so I looked past the devs and chose to make it work on my own terms. I'm probably 1% of 1% that did that though.

They might stop supporting 7 but that won't stop anyone from using it anyway. People hate 10 because it forces updates, so not receiving them for 7 won't be a big deal I wouldn't think.
Linus posted an interesting video on Techquickie about MS's overbearing updates policy with Win10 that I think does a good job of explaining exactly WHY they have chosen to go this route, despite the endless amount of flak they have received for it:

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
If they expand the Dx12 and keep adding on things who knows maybe I'll be able to turn on ray tracing in Metro Exodus on my Win 7 pc. Well maybe not. I have a couple other pcs on Win 10 but I hang on the Win 7 one because it's such an awesome OS or version of an OS, however you want to call it.
post #45 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 123 (Unique: 94)
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
Linus posted an interesting video on Techquickie about MS's overbearing updates policy with Win10 that I think does a good job of explaining exactly WHY they have chosen to go this route, despite the endless amount of flak they have received for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDjC5jklb3o&t
Yep, you/he are spot on BUT there are other things to consider. Instead of sending out any update wherever they could do it once weekly or even monthly unless there's some legit security issue, it should also be my choice to not update at all even if it's at the cost of security. But the updates while annoying are acceptable IMO, the real issues are (to name a few) nagging about OneDrive, ads in Explorer and OneDrive, bloatware or ads for bloatware that MS re-installs if you delete it, the installation of "recommended" apps from the MS store, the list goes on and on.
If they're going to have ads and a couple of the other things I just listed the OS needs to be free, ads aren't acceptable in paid software. I can concur that MS is trying to make sure the OS is as good as it can be and that to do so they need to manage the OS to some extent but when I allowed Windows to do this the updates were relentless, seemingly daily. There should be an option when installing Windows for "powerusers" (if that's the right word) so that you can have a more classic OS that you manage on your own. Checking this option could revoke any liability on MS.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #46 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 697 (Unique: 517)
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
I dunno, Win10 has gained a LOT of momentum over the past couple years and it has surpassed Win7 to become the new leader in OS market share.
Windows 10 has only gotten so big because of the latest hardware advances. You can run a Ryzen platform on Win7(my bro does) but Windows will constantly bug the doodoo out of you with their update warning notification. It's so bad that whenever I fired up his system to play GTA V, the danged warning screen came up 3 times in 5 minutes. Several times ruining missions.

Grudgingly I purchased and installed 10 in Black Snow. I really hate 10 but the moment I got into it I peeled out 3/4 of the Start menu apps and put my own in there. First one to go was M$ store. I will not support them one time past the fee for the license.

I am still working out the new OS but it's slow going.

I am at a loss for words about DX12 and Win7. Too little too late considering they will no longer support Win7 at the end of the year.

~Ceadder

Black snow
(17 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1800x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX RX 480 Black Edition 8GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z370 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZSK
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Adata m.2
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova
Cooling
EKWB Crosshair VI Acetyl Monoblock
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64bit USB
Monitor
Samsung NU6900
Keyboard
Corsair K55
Mouse
Corsair M65
Other
Xbox Wireless Controller: Winter Forces Special Edition - Xbox One/Xbox One S/Windows 10
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard
Crosshair IV Formula
GPU
XFX RX 480 Black Edition 8GB
RAM
Corsair Dominator
Hard Drive
x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0
Hard Drive
Samsun 750 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA
Cooling
EK D5 Vario
Cooling
EK x3 250 RGB
Cooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silent Fans
Cooling
EK Supreme HF Classified
Cooling
Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing.
Cooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings
Cooling
EK x3 CSQ Clean Acrylic
Cooling
EK RX 480 Copper/Acetyl
Case
HAF 932
Operating System
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM
Monitor
Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen
Keyboard
Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know what I'm going to replace it with.
Mouse
Logitech g9x
Mouse
COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad
Audio
Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers
Other
Creative X-Fi
Other
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Ceadderman; 03-15-2019 at 12:00 AM.
post #47 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 123 (Unique: 94)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post
Windows 10 has only gotten so big because of the latest hardware advances. You can run a Ryzen platform on Win7(my bro does) but Windows will constantly bug the doodoo out of you with their update warning notification. It's so bad that whenever I fired up his system to play GTA V, the danged warning screen came up 3 times in 5 minutes. Several times ruining missions.

Grudgingly I purchased and installed 10 in Black Snow. I really hate 10 but the moment I got into it I peeled out 3/4 of the Start menu apps and put my own in there. First one to go was M$ store. I will not support them one time past the fee for the license.

I am still working out the new OS but it's slow going.

I am at a loss for words about DX12 and Win7. Too little too late considering they will no longer support Win7 at the end of the year.

~Ceadder
In case you missed it...
O&O ShutUp 10

It's the easiest way to get 10 to behave more like 7, if it wasn't for that I'd be using 7, or a modded .ISO of 10.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #48 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:38 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 39 (Unique: 31)
Hi,
Lost count on how many times I've gotten (Setting on your computer don't power down) lol no internet connection so not sure what 10 is finally setting up

Usually it's just resetting adobe crap player preferences which is useless to me I do not use edge of a cliff or ie11 but there it is

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-7900x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
post #49 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:38 AM
@ASUS

Rep: 402 (Unique: 225)
I'm hugely tempted to try this out.
post #50 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 117)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
Steam Survey shows lots of people will likely care.

Also, the WoW thing makes perfect sense. We @ OCN tend to forget the casual gamer, playing on an ancient machine caked in cigarette smoke, still leveling their Mohawk NightElf.

Jeez, I had to sit here and think about why that sounded so familiar then I finally remembered! OMG Mr. T!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in