[TheVerge]Valve is turning Steam Link into a personal cloud service that streams games anywhere - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TheVerge]Valve is turning Steam Link into a personal cloud service that streams games anywhere

post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:15 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 35 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Unlike you, I know people, outside of the intarwebz, who own the Steam Link and would use this feature because it's basically a free upgrade. The units are already in the hands of consumers (and a lot of them got them very cheap - like €2 or €3); it's almost no cost at all to Valve to provide surprise functionality to an already VERY high value product.

You obviously don't care for it, but try to take a step back and observe your written reaction to such a benign effort from a company.
Are you capable of debating people online without coming off as a whiny, personally offended little kid? "Oh I know people in real life unlike you!!" you sound like a child. Stop it.

I own a steam link. Have never used it. Obviously we are not going to agree here as one of us seeing things for what they are and the other just wants to praise Valve for anything they do, yet only one of us is turning this into an unfriendly discussion, and that is you.

Grow up.

For this to make sense you need to be using a device that has a big enough screen to use for PC games, and can stream them better than it can host them... and have a stable enough internet connection to avoid lag... So basically it's for tablets that are on a stable wifi connection, and really hardly anything else.
I mean, color me excited!

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 03-15-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:52 PM
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 146 (Unique: 117)
Well, you're not going to be "half a second behind" unless either your connection is truly horrendous or you're very far away.
So you're suggesting that it can stream games in real time across the net (heck even on the same wifi would be tough) with less than 500ms delay?

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98)
▲ hide details ▲
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:01 PM
mfw

Rep: 406 (Unique: 208)
Quote: Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
So you're suggesting that it can stream games in real time across the net (heck even on the same wifi would be tough) with less than 500ms delay?
Nothing across the net is real time. However, you'd need a very specific set of constraints in order to be lagging behind the graphics card output by half a second.

I can think of a handful of games I own that I would be able to play like this. Obviously, I'm not talking about shooters.

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Are you capable of debating people online without coming off as a whiny, personally offended little kid? "Oh I know people in real life unlike you!!"
You seem to be projecting. You said you knew no one who would be able to or want to use this product, but I, unlike you, know people who would. You know, as a counter to your absolutist position that this product is useless.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToTheSun!; 03-15-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 106 (Unique: 86)
Steamlink needs to up its resolution to 4k like in Linus video, 1080p doesn't cut it anymore

But can it run.... Angry Birds???

About the NVidia GTX 970
"When comes down to it, it's really a $250 card with lies printed all over the box."--Rexer
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:46 AM
Skating Enthusiast

Nothing across the net is real time. However, you'd need a very specific set of constraints in order to be lagging behind the graphics card output by half a second.

I can think of a handful of games I own that I would be able to play like this. Obviously, I'm not talking about shooters.
Hmm I dunno I think 500ms is probably going to be the minimum if you're playing over WAN, however if it's over the net I think it can be 1000ms+. And that'd be 1080p as well I reckon... 4k will further add to the delays.

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 AM
To The Game

Rep: 290 (Unique: 197)
Well I forgot to bring a link to work with me but I did bring my tablet. A nexus 7 2013 with a 7" screen. This made for a much better experience then my cellphone (5.9") though the screen is still too small for me. I think with a 10" tablet this would work pretty well. Even on the 7" tablet with an xbox controller I was able to do combat in The Division 2.

Would I want to truly play a game like this? No. Though I would like to try it on a larger screen with a better upload speed. That 10 Mbps is going to really limit my stream quality on bigger displays. Though for latency reasons I think I'd avoid going too high on the stream quality.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:28 AM
mfw

Rep: 406 (Unique: 208)
Quote: Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
Hmm I dunno I think 500ms is probably going to be the minimum if you're playing over WAN
What makes you say that? Are there latency tests done on the Steam Link when streaming locally? I'm not aware of any; I'm just going by how I expect networks to perform.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:44 PM
Skating Enthusiast

What makes you say that? Are there latency tests done on the Steam Link when streaming locally? I'm not aware of any; I'm just going by how I expect networks to perform.
Past experience with streaming services (most recently - AMD's)... it's impressive but there's still a perceivable delay locally over a fast 5GHz network, so I expect Steam Link to be similar, and of course when streaming over the net that delay will grow even more depending on how far away you are. And it'll also depend on resolution and frame rate too.

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 09:41 PM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 276 (Unique: 219)
I tested it today and it worked pretty well. Not only for gaming but for movies and music as well.

In Loving Memory Of Kassandra

Kaby
Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ozlay; 03-16-2019 at 09:44 PM.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 226 (Unique: 108)
I did a couple tests with a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and I'm quite sure that the problem for me was my crappy TV. This is subjective but the input was flawless as Steam Link lets you control your PC with absolutely zero delay. I mean I could navigate my desktop from the RPi3 looking at my PC monitor without a difference.

So input delay should be whatever your network's is.

For display, I'm afraid YMMV from phone to phone to tablet to TV to whatever.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in