[Anandtech] NVIDIA’s April Driver to Support Ray Tracing on Pascal GPUs! - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Anandtech] NVIDIA’s April Driver to Support Ray Tracing on Pascal GPUs!

post #51 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:30 AM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Rep: 114 (Unique: 79)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Seems simple to disable
Not sure if nvidia would activate it by default wouldn't the game options be in charge of activating the feature for the user to agree too :/
Really depends how the game is coded. Since they are now saying, that even AMD cards can RT, they may hardcode it like PhsyX.

My theory would be a mix of both, I am sure there will be games that will have it a toggle and games that have it hard coded.

Nvidia will get Gameworks titles to hardcode it most likely, to make the 20** series a better upgrade.

However from the last gap, and the current price, plus the fact they had to add RT cores and barely performance gains. Personally am with the tech tubers, I don't think we are going to see 30** for a few years. So it may just be worth the upgrade.

If we assume the 50% hike is mostly profits, they are buying up a Stop gap, to deal with some no new card downtime.

My siggy so empty frown.gif
Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire go_quote.gif

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 72 (Unique: 55)
Hi,
Seems like a game provider PR nightmare frankly enabling the feature by default

Which would you want to PO the few that have RTX or the many that don't

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #53 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:00 AM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Hi,
Seems like a game provider PR nightmare frankly enabling the feature by default

Which would you want to PO the few that have RTX or the many that don't [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/thinking.gif[/IMG]
Well the point is to get people to upgrade, so obviously the ones that don't have RTX lol?

Idk why it would PO anyone, RT will work on all cards, it's easier to hard code then to toggle, and Nvidia will give them perks for doing so.

Planned Obsolescence is a thing in the PC gaming world, nothing new.

Besides they said that all cards will now support basic Raytracing, and that demo shows a AMD card doing it. So there is no reason to not do it. Your card can run it, just not very well, if it hurts your FPS play at a lower resoloution, excepting new games to play perfectly with old hardware is foolish. Old games will have a toggle, new games, will begin to not. If it starts affecting you, it's time to upgrade.

Wanting the future held back, becuase you don't want to move with it, is kind of wrong don't you think?

Quote:

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:47 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
Nvidia RT requires 6GB VRAM and Pascal/Turing, it won't work on "all cards". Pascal introduced async compute , while Turing has concurrent float+int. Non-RTX Turing has improved FP16 (GTX 1660 Ti).

So essentially you have:
RTX Titan
RTX 2080 Ti
RTX 2080
RTX 2070
RTX 2060
GTX TITAN V
GTX Titan xP
GTX Titan X Pascal
GTX 1080 Ti
GTX 1080
GTX 1070 Ti
GTX 1070
GTX 1660 Ti
GTX 1660
GTX 1060 6GB

Of course don't expect a smooth experience on the GTX 1060 6GB , GTX 1070 / GTX 1070 Ti remains to be benchmarked.

From AMD's implementation on Vega 56 I'd think that it is using FP16 or leveraging async compute advantages. If it's FP16 don't expect Polaris to do well at all.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #55 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:07 PM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 72 (Unique: 55)
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post
Wanting the future held back, becuase you don't want to move with it, is kind of wrong don't you think?
Hi,
No but I'm not as I expect quite a few others don't upgrade gpu's every year either, that in it's self is not reasonable rtx or not I do not live to feed NVidia.

Once fps tanks that is when gaming vendors will feel the PO effect

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #56 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:21 PM
Portgas D. Ace

Rep: 315 (Unique: 240)
Hi,
No but I'm not as I expect quite a few others don't upgrade gpu's every year either, that in it's self is not reasonable rtx or not I do not live to feed NVidia.

Once fps tanks that is when gaming vendors will feel the PO effect
RTX lineup aka developer cards were never meant to be reasonable. The pricing is a clear indication. I'm glad the pleb cards finally get a taste of ray tracing no matter how badly it might run initially. RT marketing didnt work on gamers, but it sure worked well on the developers. Everyone is on the bandwagon.

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 ULTRA
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
VORTEX POK3R WHITE EDITION
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲
post #57 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post
Hi,

Once fps tanks that is when gaming vendors will feel the PO effect [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Well first off launch of 10** and launch of RTX was 2 years apart, not a year.

Secondly, it will likely be another year, before games with Hardcoded RT are a thing, even then they will be few and far between.

So I don't feel bad, that after 3/4 years you don't want to upgrade your GPU.

And you won't even need too, you can either A. Not play those games, or B. Turn the settings / Resoloution down.

Sorry the industry doesn't stop because you bought a product, and want it to work forever. Move with it, or work in your means, those are your options.

They already feel the PO effect, do you not look at the Miniums for alot of new games on release? They are usually current Gen, or at least last gen, mid range cards.

Consoles do the same thing. They come out with refreshes, and old games either do not play or play like crap, then they come out with a brand new console right after that, to render all the games you bought useless.

That's just the world man, it's life, pay the cost, or deal with the downsides.

Besides all that, I am sure that a 1080ti, or maybe even a 1080, will be able to play most of the RT locked games fine. Are you going to be able to max the settings? Probably not, and you shouldn't be able to anyway. If you want to max the settings out, you need alot of the newest tech.

If a 300 dollar single GPU, can max the settings at 4k at above 60fps, or even at 60, in a new game, than what did I pay 2400 for for SLIed 2080tis? The new game has to push the newest best hardware, to it's limits, that's just life.

If you don't want to upgrade Every year, and have the best. Then don't, but don't cry when the new games, work with the Best, Best...

Oh and RTX even with it's high price is actually kind of worth it, when you take into account that rumor has it from knowledgeable sources, that 30** won't hit shelves till 2020/2021, so once again, we have 2 years between cards, however this time I think Nvidia planned it, and raised prices to make up for it.

I am completely fine with a 30-50% price hike, and removing the Tock, so now it's 2 years or more between refreshes, with better gains each time.

Quote:

Last edited by Cyber Locc; 03-20-2019 at 12:41 PM.
post #58 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 248)
Quote: Originally Posted by dantoddd View Post
Can normal DXR utlize RT cores. Or are RT cores only specialized to handle RTX features.

I would imagine Nvidia will write the drivers to schedule RT operations on the RT cores in all ray trace APIs.

post #59 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I guess people with 1080ti's in SLI, running a game that is very well optimized for SLI, MIGHT have a chance at playing with limited DXR features at a framerate that is within the realm of playability (30fps). Anything less than that kind of GPU horsepower sounds like it will be a slideshow.

Here's what should have been done by Nvidia

1. Before the RTX launch, release drivers to the GTX cards for DXR support
2. Push Developers hard to have at least a few games, or even at the very least demos, with DXR support ready to go before the launch of RTX
3. Let everyone with a Pascal card see firsthand how horrible those cards are at running DXR
4. Hype the Tensor and RT cores abilities and release the RTX cards

Nvidia literally did everything ass backwards.

Main Gaming Rig
(9 items)
Alienware Alpha R1
(5 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU
ROG STRIX RTX 2080
RAM
16GB ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4 3000mhz @ 3466mhz
Hard Drive
WD BLUE 1TB
Power Supply
Thermaltake Grand Toughpower RGB 750W GOLD
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Corsair 570X RGB
Operating System
Windows 10
CPU
Intel i7 4785T
GPU
Nvidia 860M 2GB+BlindRageVbios+335Core+650Memory
RAM
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Hard Drive
1TB 7200RPM
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by CelticGamer; 03-20-2019 at 12:47 PM.
post #60 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:48 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Quote: Originally Posted by CelticGamer View Post
I guess people with 1080ti's in SLI, running a game that is very well optimized for SLI, MIGHT have a chance at playing with limited DXR features at a framerate that is within the realm of playability (30fps). Anything less than that kind of GPU horsepower sounds like it will be a slideshow.

Here's what should have been done by Nvidia

1. Before the RTX launch, release drivers to the GTX cards for DXR support
2. Push Developers hard to have at least a few games, or even at the very least demos, with DXR support ready to go before the launch of RTX
3. Let everyone with a Pascal card see firsthand how horrible those cards are at running DXR
4. Hype the Tensor cores abilities and release the RTX cards

Nvidia literally did everything ass backwards.
I think that's the problem here. Is people are thinking frames will be cut that hard. They won't.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tec...-battlefield-v

Titan V averaged 56 FPS on maxed BFV with Max RT on. The 2080TI beat it by 30 or so FPS but both are playable.

Now if you want to play maxed, with 4k, and 144fps, then don't complain when you refuse to upgrade.

And if you buy a 200 dollar 1060, don't expect it to still be viable with new games 3 years later.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in