[Engadget] Firefox disabled all add-ons because a certificate expired (updated) - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Engadget] Firefox disabled all add-ons because a certificate expired (updated)

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 453 (Unique: 385)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
I get my extensions from the developers actual website or FTP server and github and check the checksum if it is provided. Why do I need Mozilla to sign it?
It requires you to fully audit the code or blindly trust the developer. I trust Mozilla far more than I trust some random dev with a couple of plugins he made one weekend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 208 (Unique: 96)
I get my extensions from the developers actual website or FTP server and github and check the checksum if it is provided. Why do I need Mozilla to sign it?
Excuse me good sir but I assumed you were using their distribution service since you wrote this:

My FF distro Waterfox seems unaffected...
If you said this is because you're using it or my English is even worse than I thought.

So you based your whole rant on something that could affect Waterfox in the same way but you didn't even bother to check or you don't know that you can install add-ons manually on Firefox too.

Dunno what's worse.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:04 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 305 (Unique: 222)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
Mozilla signs the add-ons. You can spoof the site all you want and however you download wouldn't work anyway. That is precisely why they sign them.

You would need the private key held by Mozilla or hijack the browser distribution. Which is quite different than the walk in the park you presented as how easy it would be to distribute counterfeit add-ons.

Oh, please. Deflecting already? I never denied Mozilla screwed it up royally here. It is you who's wrong about the certificates.

Now that this is out of the way I wouldn't use your method because you obviously have no idea about what you're talking.
You don't need the key, you only need to get your addon to the store and get it signed, not so hard to hide malicious code in otherwise well behaved addon.
Not deflecting, only asking what other browsers bother with certification signed addons.
It's not my method all the links and source are there. It does resolve Mozilla's fiasco and they can't even give it to users themselves, users have to figure it out on their own how to fix their mess.

Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
It requires you to fully audit the code or blindly trust the developer. I trust Mozilla far more than I trust some random dev with a couple of plugins he made one weekend.
So you trust some random dev with a couple of plugins he made one weekend that were signed by Mozilla? XD
Just because it's signed and all doesn't mean it's 100% clean and safe. As if Mozilla will read every source code line of every addon before signing it, they would still be reading in year 3000. Some automated checks at best. To make this "easier" they force removed a lot of features from the API that addons could use (infamous Quantum nonsense), annoyed all developers of addons and users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:50 PM
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 97 (Unique: 65)
What's with the complicated "fix" when all that's needed is double click on "true" which changes the value to "false" like I stated above and all your plugins instantly appear. After your browser is updated with the fix, change it back.

Team Boinc! - Forum Folding War Team
Gentoo Linux - Telemetry Free Since 1999!
Washington Capitals 2018 Stanley Cup Champions
Boinc Desktop
(15 items)
CrunchAholic
(10 items)
NAS
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVOPlus
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream XE 240 Radiator
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 150mm Tube Res
Case
Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
Motherboard
Asrock Rack EP2C602
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
RAM
64 GBs Samsung M939B1K70CHD-CH9 PC3-10600R
Hard Drive
Samsung HD322HJ
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
CPU
i3-4130T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM
CORSAIR CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 10 TB x3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 8 TB
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
▲ hide details ▲

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 52)
or you know, download the actual fix that I posted that everyone has ignored which is what Mozilla is pushing out when you enable the studies.

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:46 AM
Overclocker

Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
What's with the complicated "fix" when all that's needed is double click on "true" which changes the value to "false" like I stated above and all your plugins instantly appear. After your browser is updated with the fix, change it back.
Which only works for some versions of FF.

Quote: Originally Posted by sticks435 View Post
or you know, download the actual fix that I posted that everyone has ignored which is what Mozilla is pushing out when you enable the studies.
Because not every FF has studies. The solution I've linked works on old FF too and is based on the file/patch you linked. Mozilla simply hasn't provided a solution yet, if ever, to apply it to older FF so users have to do so on their own.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 52)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Which only works for some versions of FF.

Because not every FF has studies. The solution I've linked works on old FF too and is based on the file/patch you linked. Mozilla simply hasn't provided a solution yet, if ever, to apply it to older FF so users have to do so on their own.
My fix isn't the studies fix, it's the actual .XPI file.

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Are some people still having this problem?
Everything is back to normal now after a regular update.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:32 AM
Otherworlder

Rep: 215 (Unique: 123)
FF v66.0.4 doesn't have this issue, so far all my add-ons works.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Overclocker

Quote: Originally Posted by sticks435 View Post
My fix isn't the studies fix, it's the actual .XPI file.
Someone else can test that on older FF. Installing it made no change on mine, nor uninstalling it, I already have the certificate from it installed in FF. It did not seem to add a new cert. only appeared as an addon, which is very weird solution to this problem. "Broken addons! Lets add another addon!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in