[Forbes] Microsoft To Ship A Real Linux Kernel On Windows 10, Serviced Through Windows Updates - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Forbes] Microsoft To Ship A Real Linux Kernel On Windows 10, Serviced Through Windows Updates

post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:12 PM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 170 (Unique: 87)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
They're also using the kernel for Azure Sphere and hopefully not in the too far distant future a Windows Linux based desktop OS.

Then why ever use any Windows OS again, if they're moving on over to a far superior OS system (forsaking their current rubbish creation) ?

Best stick with what's available today, for any Linux User.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:14 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 368 (Unique: 230)
They're also using the kernel for Azure Sphere and hopefully not in the too far distant future a Windows Linux based desktop OS.
I honestly don't think this will ever happen, linux kernel is GPL, it would taint a lot of the windows source code forcing MS to release a ton of it into the OSS world. with them doing i this way, this only forces them to release the work they are doing for WSL and occasional throw us a bone like the the new terminal app and i believe they open sourced the source code to the calculator app. so them making a windows/linux hybrid will be unlikely. i could be wrong, but right now wsl is a very small part of windows.

I follow the Sociopath less travelled.
Linux going mainstream, Great, now I gotta use BSD.

Customize a Ubuntu Kernel

post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 AM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 208 (Unique: 132)
I think this is far enough, they don't need to make some Linux/Windows hybrid.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box

Rep: 84 (Unique: 63)
That's correct, this is a step in the right direction. Windows Subsystem for Linux 1 was emulating a Linux kernel. With an actual Linux kernel it will improve filesystem I/O performance, Linux compatibility and actually run docker natively.

More info regarding WSL 1: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl...mtfjov2nassr00

WSL 2: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/comma...ouncing-wsl-2/
Yep, plus it very nice to hook Bash Shell into VSCode. Way better than fooling with Cygwin as well.
The other issue with the first WSL is it was stuck using NTFS which made WSL be slower than a traditional Linux VM environment.

I'm just a crazy nutty gal that likes computer hardware.
Got bad hardware hoard habit too.

My consoles
Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, PS2 FAT, PS2, PS4 Pro, Switch, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox
Just the Main
(14 items)
Side Server
(9 items)
CPU
1950X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E
GPU
Titan Xp
GPU
Titan Xp
GPU
GTX 1080Ti FTW3
RAM
GSkill 32GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro m.2 512GB
Hard Drive
Crucial 512GB SSD
Hard Drive
Shucked WD Helium 10TB
Hard Drive
WD Purple 8TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1300W
Case
Case Lab TX10
Operating System
Stripped W10 LTSB
Monitor
Acer Predator X27
CPU
1900X
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME X399
GPU
GTX 960 FTW
GPU
GTX 1080Ti SC
RAM
Corsair 16GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Intel 120GB SSD
Power Supply
AX1200i
Case
Define S
Operating System
Mint Mate 18.3 Modify
Monitor
30inch Dell Ultrasharp 1200p
CPU
E5-2670V3
Motherboard
ASUS X99-A II
GPU
1070 Hybrid
RAM
GSkill 32GB
Hard Drive
Intel 120GB SSD
Power Supply
TX750
Case
Case Lab SM8
Operating System
CentOS 7
Monitor
Remote Terminal all day!
▲ hide details ▲

post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 603 (Unique: 288)
That's correct, this is a step in the right direction. Windows Subsystem for Linux 1 was emulating a Linux kernel. With an actual Linux kernel it will improve filesystem I/O performance, Linux compatibility and actually run docker natively.

More info regarding WSL 1: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl...mtfjov2nassr00

I said this when M$py announced that they were incorporating Linux commands into Windows. Linux is superior to Windows in every way apart from gaming so once they port DX to Linux there is no reason for Windows in its current form to exist.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:39 PM
Null

Rep: 159 (Unique: 129)

Or this is secretly a move to make Windows more server focused and slowly transition away from windows as a consumer desktop OS because they see more of a future in cloud/enterprise paas while mobile eats their lunch.

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
Quote: Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post
I know... i know let me put on my tin foil hat....

There is something nefarious here... They have a reason to do this and it won't be fore the good of us consumers....

I suspect possibly something more akin to more telemetry and invasion but now with linux. I'll wait a while and see what news comes out of this. *taps fingers on desk*
The most obvious reason for this is the same as Google - why code a kernel when you could just snag an open source one and bolt a proprietary layer on top(ie, Android)? I used to think that Linux would free us from big tech like MS and then I realized that open source is available to them, too, if they are willing. Ballmer would never have allowed this, but he's not in charge any more. The guy currently in charge has changed the MS strategy, it's no longer EMBRACE, EXTEND, EXTINGUISH. It's now EMBRACE, EXTEND, ENTRAP, EXPLOIT.

For the time being we still have some freedom with Linux and Purism is poised to provide the first truly freedom/privacy respecting smart phone platform with the Librem 5, and now freedom/privacy respecting services with Librem.one, but like the phone I expect all of it to remain a niche. With Proton + DXVK getting better and better seemingly every other week, GIMP/Blender/Kdenlive/etc all becoming good enough to wean people off the Windows counterparts, Linux is on the way to eating Microsoft marketshare and I fully expect that it will surpass Apple within a decade..... and so does Microsoft which is why they are doing this.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:04 AM
Fantastic Mr Fox

Rep: 174 (Unique: 119)
Quote: Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post
Let me guess. You can only get this, by using the 1809 (or 1903) Windows 10 release.

It will only work on 1903 and later. It's not even available to Insiders yet I don't think. I'm stuck on 1709 so I still have many of the early bugs in WSL

Quote: Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post
I know... i know let me put on my tin foil hat....

There is something nefarious here... They have a reason to do this and it won't be fore the good of us consumers....

I suspect possibly something more akin to more telemetry and invasion but now with linux. I'll wait a while and see what news comes out of this. *taps fingers on desk*

It's for developers. Almost nobody else is going to benefit from this. WSL makes development on Windows somewhat tolerable, especially if you rely on open source tools that are developed by people who don't even own a Windows machine. These tools often have an entire backlog of Windows-specific bugs, and the performance is somewhere between bad and abysmal.

Last edited by randomizer; 05-09-2019 at 04:09 AM.
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 114)
Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
Microsoft's only reason for this is to increase Windows 10's user numbers by getting Linux users and dual booters, mainly developers, to switch to Windows full time, which gives the impression that Linux's market share is higher or gaining faster than people realize for MS to spend the effort.
Yes, I'm so curious how they plan to address the `/` vs `\` debacle in file pathing. It's literally the reason I can't code on windows.

post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Programmer

Rep: 150 (Unique: 121)

I've been waiting for this to happen ever since they open sourced .NET and started shipping WSL. The next logical step after releasing .NET Core 3.0 will be to marry the UWP UI in Windows 10 to a Linux Kernel, probably close to the release window of .NET 5.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in