[ExtremeTech] Beyond Hardware: AMD’s Planned Software Improvements For Navi, GCN - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ExtremeTech] Beyond Hardware: AMD’s Planned Software Improvements For Navi, GCN

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:33 PM
News Junkie

Rep: 298 (Unique: 232)
Quote: Originally Posted by Myst-san View Post
It might look like that but it has a few thing going on. Through the years AMD has tried many times to get market share by undercutting Nvidia in perf/$, but that didn't work for them. They have decided they don't care as much about market share and Lisa wants to make more money with Navi. It also does looks like to me that they are trying to bait Nvidia into a price war. With the margins they have, Navi could be 100$ cheaper.
On the other side the CPU division is doing great witch could translate in more GPU sale. More people will thing that they probably have good GPU because they have a good CPU.

The thing I don't like about Navi is that RDNA will be the main architecture for the next years. They have architecture that is on 7nm and draws more power then Turing for the same performance. RDNA should be scalable, but I don't see how they will get performance in the future if they already are using so much power. They also can't make radical changes because they have to keep compatibility with GCN because of the consoles.
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
such a minute issue... you should be looking at it like this. Navi is AMD's 680.

7970 was $550-$600 at release... 5700 on the 4x more expensive node (+ a decade later) is $550 dollars at release. Honestly, y'all are just scratching for any little thing to cry about at this point. It could'a been a $450 2080ti n y'all still would'a cried.

7970 was the best possible thing AMD could make for 5 years, Navi is the first taste, at the mid range, of AMD's new arch...

I assume PS5 isn't being built on this node? seems way too expensive for a $500 box.

not to mention the cold hard fact this card will be $450 or less with 5-10 free games within the year. This price will only stick until Nvidia Stuper comes out.
I'm aware of the points raised and I owned the 7970 x2 day one and 290x x2 and vega 64 x1 (too many watts for crossfire) so i'm no hater of AMD but I won't follow blindly either. However their products do not exist in a bubble. It's just not fast enough for the price and the power consumption, looks like big navi will be another vega 64. Even with a price drop it is just not very interesting.

I'm happy AMD are launching something but it just isn't good enough. I was hoping to put something with an x570 build this year but I'll have to go Ngreedia. Never thought I'd say it but we need Intel in this space.

Main PC
(15 items)
CPU
3770k @ 5.0ghz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus V Formula
GPU
EKFC Sapphire RX VEGA 64
RAM
32GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2400mhz
Hard Drive
OCZ vertex 2 120GB SSD & Kingston 120GB SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 2TB 5400rpm
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Samsung 750GB 7200rpm
Power Supply
Corsair AX 860w Platinum
Cooling
XSPC RX360 & EK240
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm
Cooling
EK FCVEGA
Case
NZXT Switch 810
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate & Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
2 x Dell 30" 1600p
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 15)
You will definitely pay more with ngreedia for? what? ...... just curious...... you need a 2080ti you are saying? First Navi to be mid was clear by at least six months....navi top has been delayed for whatever reason and we have the amd version of the 680 in three weeks, has already someone noted.....that's why you have "high" (225tdp means 200w on average which is the average power consumption for a decent gpu since 2011 at least......) power consumption....they fullfilled the littl egpu on frequencies to get the extra performance at default that they needed.....and I'm sure there is still be a lot of juice to squeeze from it.....ddr6 and 64 amd rops will be fun to tune....

M8
(11 items)
Otto
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard
Asrock Taichi X470
GPU
sapphire fury nitro oc
RAM
GSkill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 Cl14
Hard Drive
SSD Crucial MX500 500GB
Power Supply
Antec HPC 850 Platinum
Cooling
noctua dual fan 120
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic
Operating System
microsoft windows 10 pro
Monitor
DELL U2311H
Monitor
ASUS MX34VQ
CPU
Intel Core i3/i5/i7
Motherboard
P8H77-I
GPU
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
RAM
8 GB 1600
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Seasonic G-750
Case
Bitfenix Prodigy mitx
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Monitor
DELL U2311H
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:53 AM
Ryzen Overclocker

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
These features look interesting.

Im mostly interested in anti-lag, if it actually makes difference over just adjusting flip queue size. Great thing is i should get it on my rx 480 when driver comes, im not buying navi with these prices.

Image sharpening also looks good on their slides, but i have seen sharpening effects that look bad so will see later if its actually good.

RyzenAsus
(14 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-Pro
GPU
Asus RX 480 Dual 4GB
RAM
G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14
Hard Drive
WD10EZEX
Hard Drive
ST3000DM008
Power Supply
XFX 550w
Cooling
chinese water pump
Cooling
Heatkiller IV
Cooling
Barrow Dabel-60a 360
Case
Cooler Master n300
Keyboard
Logitech G810
Mouse
CM Storm Xornet II
Mousepad
Blackstorm Iced
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 533 (Unique: 302)
Quote: Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post
I'm aware of the points raised and I owned the 7970 x2 day one and 290x x2 and vega 64 x1 (too many watts for crossfire) so i'm no hater of AMD but I won't follow blindly either. However their products do not exist in a bubble. It's just not fast enough for the price and the power consumption, looks like big navi will be another vega 64. Even with a price drop it is just not very interesting.

I'm happy AMD are launching something but it just isn't good enough. I was hoping to put something with an x570 build this year but I'll have to go Ngreedia. Never thought I'd say it but we need Intel in this space.
intel's only gonna be competing in the small n mid size chip market, so I guess then at least someone will compete with AMD.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in