[ExtremeTech] Beyond Hardware: AMD’s Planned Software Improvements For Navi, GCN - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ExtremeTech] Beyond Hardware: AMD’s Planned Software Improvements For Navi, GCN

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 162 (Unique: 116)
[ExtremeTech] Beyond Hardware: AMD’s Planned Software Improvements For Navi, GCN

Source: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...s-for-navi-gcn

Quote:
We’ve been covering AMD’s Ryzen and Navi announcements at E3 throughout the week, with one more aspect of the situation left to discuss. While we’ve discussed Navi and its RDNA architecture, we haven’t talked about any of the software improvements AMD intends to offer with its next GPUs. Some of these gains will also be available to GCN cards as well.
Exciting news regarding AMD's upcoming drivers. High sharpness looks fantastic on games which is why I use Acer's Super Sharpness while most text looks distorted on web pages when it's enabled. Hopefully Radeon Image Sharpening provides the same experience when gaming and doesn't hurt text quality.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:08 PM
The 6502 Still Rocks

Rep: 30 (Unique: 28)
Fine Wine ...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 533 (Unique: 302)
turns to swill eventually.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 162 (Unique: 116)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
turns to swill eventually.
I'm actually kind of excited to use the updated Radeon Chill. There are a number of games I'm averaging 180 FPS using ultra settings @ 1440p. I'll drop it to 144hz cap and check the power benefits.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:41 PM
The Challenger

Rep: 284 (Unique: 123)
Let's see how this turns out. Their software side has been really strong since Polaris. Hopefully they keep it up.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:51 PM
News Junkie

Rep: 298 (Unique: 232)
Navi looks like AMD are scalping fanboys. Midrange performance at high end prices. Software isn't going to sweeten the pill.

Main PC
(15 items)
CPU
3770k @ 5.0ghz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus V Formula
GPU
EKFC Sapphire RX VEGA 64
RAM
32GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2400mhz
Hard Drive
OCZ vertex 2 120GB SSD & Kingston 120GB SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 2TB 5400rpm
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Samsung 750GB 7200rpm
Power Supply
Corsair AX 860w Platinum
Cooling
XSPC RX360 & EK240
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm
Cooling
EK FCVEGA
Case
NZXT Switch 810
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate & Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
2 x Dell 30" 1600p
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post
Navi looks like AMD are scalping fanboys. Midrange performance at high end prices. Software isn't going to sweeten the pill.
It might look like that but it has a few thing going on. Through the years AMD has tried many times to get market share by undercutting Nvidia in perf/$, but that didn't work for them. They have decided they don't care as much about market share and Lisa wants to make more money with Navi. It also does looks like to me that they are trying to bait Nvidia into a price war. With the margins they have, Navi could be 100$ cheaper.
On the other side the CPU division is doing great witch could translate in more GPU sale. More people will thing that they probably have good GPU because they have a good CPU.

The thing I don't like about Navi is that RDNA will be the main architecture for the next years. They have architecture that is on 7nm and draws more power then Turing for the same performance. RDNA should be scalable, but I don't see how they will get performance in the future if they already are using so much power. They also can't make radical changes because they have to keep compatibility with GCN because of the consoles.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 533 (Unique: 302)
Quote: Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post
such a minute issue... you should be looking at it like this. Navi is AMD's 680.

7970 was $550-$600 at release... 5700 on the 4x more expensive node (+ a decade later) is $550 dollars at release. Honestly, y'all are just scratching for any little thing to cry about at this point. It could'a been a $450 2080ti n y'all still would'a cried.

7970 was the best possible thing AMD could make for 5 years, Navi is the first taste, at the mid range, of AMD's new arch...

I assume PS5 isn't being built on this node? seems way too expensive for a $500 box.

not to mention the cold hard fact this card will be $450 or less with 5-10 free games within the year. This price will only stick until Nvidia Stuper comes out.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 06-14-2019 at 06:37 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:08 PM
The Challenger

Rep: 284 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by Myst-san View Post
It might look like that but it has a few thing going on. Through the years AMD has tried many times to get market share by undercutting Nvidia in perf/$, but that didn't work for them. They have decided they don't care as much about market share and Lisa wants to make more money with Navi. It also does looks like to me that they are trying to bait Nvidia into a price war. With the margins they have, Navi could be 100$ cheaper.
On the other side the CPU division is doing great witch could translate in more GPU sale. More people will thing that they probably have good GPU because they have a good CPU.

The thing I don't like about Navi is that RDNA will be the main architecture for the next years. They have architecture that is on 7nm and draws more power then Turing for the same performance. RDNA should be scalable, but I don't see how they will get performance in the future if they already are using so much power. They also can't make radical changes because they have to keep compatibility with GCN because of the consoles.
For these cards they chose a small die and high clock speeds... They can probably increase efficiency greatly if the lower clock speeds a bit and go wider, as in more compute units. But I don't know if they want to go that route.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
such a minute issue... you should be looking at it like this. Navi is AMD's 680.

7970 was $550-$600 at release... 5700 on the 4x more expensive node (+ a decade later) is $550 dollars at release.
Not to mention the additional ram and more elaborate VRM.

I really don't see anything wrong with Navi...or even "RTX" if the Super cards do anything for pricing.
GPUs are expensive to make and a huge risk, I wouldn't bother with all of that to be known as the cheaper alternative with an overclocked rebrand of a rebrand. I guess if that's all you wanted you can already get those so...

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in