[The Verge] LaLiga’s app listened in on fans to catch bars illegally streaming soccer - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[The Verge] LaLiga’s app listened in on fans to catch bars illegally streaming soccer

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
[The Verge] LaLiga’s app listened in on fans to catch bars illegally streaming soccer

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/12/1...streaming-fine
Quote:
Spain’s data protection agency has fined the country’s soccer league, LaLiga, €250,000 (about $280,000) for allegedly violating EU data privacy and transparency laws. The app, which is used for keeping track of games and stats, was using the phone’s microphone and GPS to track bars illegally streaming soccer games, Spanish newspaper El País reported.
The fun thing about data protection and privacy. It's not just you that you have to watch out for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:57 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 778 (Unique: 446)
but its ok to break the law to find law breakers, amiright?

well, it is in the U.S.

really this stuff reminds me so much of the gold rush days . . territories w/little to no laws, rampart vigilantism for law enforcement but i can't say people are getting killed (much).
and it wasn't any laws or enforcement that stopped it, it was the end of the gold rush.

if only people only realized companies use to pay for what is now freely given. it doesn't even matter what you do, if anyone, friend or family, has your info on their phone, its been got.

this is why i have no friends.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 535 (Unique: 304)
nothing worse than a narc.
on the point of giving away the data companies used to have to buy... there are restaurants opening that sell food at cost by getting patrons to install their data collection app on your phone + personal info, address, etc.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:05 PM
professional curmudgeon

at cost?
i use to get $25 to $50 to fill out a survey in the 90s, early oughts and that was jut my info.

brave browser does have a rewards program, though i wasn't interest enough too look closely but, i guess those are something

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 535 (Unique: 304)
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
at cost?
i use to get $25 to $50 to fill out a survey in the 90s, early oughts and that was jut my info.

brave browser does have a rewards program, though i wasn't interest enough too look closely but, i guess those are something
Now a'days the low IQ ones just get scammed into an endless feedback loop of doing surveys, hoping that one day that best buy gift card receipt page will finally load.

I've not really looked into it much, but one thing has for sure changed.

The death of privacy. My brother's kids only know about privacy because they were taught it at home.

They all want to give it away now, so the need to actually pay for it has gone away. At least, the up-front need to directly buy it from the consumer themselves. Now you buy it from firms, and market research entities which are essentially the middlemen between the gatherer's (apps)

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:41 PM
professional curmudgeon

2004 on facebook

the day the privacy died.
(sung to the day the music died)

of course i'm overlooking AOL/compuserve. i used my free university account for 10 years until i moved to another county. well that was dial up.

ok, enough memory lane stuff. no wonder kids want to put me out to pasture; i keep talking about better days.

E:
cue edith and archie.

loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 06-14-2019 at 06:44 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 327 (Unique: 232)
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
at cost?

Used to be $50-$300 here.

Now the same company rarely pays over $125-$150, but I still get notifications from them, but I don't live in that area anymore.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 454 (Unique: 386)
There are thousands of Spanish soccer fans sat in bars a bit cheesed of without any football ball to watch and it's because their own phones grassed up the bar manager for not having a football licence - Sorry but I find it more amusing than a serious breach of privacy.

"Do you want 'Football Stats' to know where you are and record what you're saying all the time - Yes/No"

It's not like it's malware attempting to subvert permissions, it asked for mic and GPS. Why would you give an app that keeps track of football games and stats permission to access the microphone and GPS? Every platform can audit permissions on a per app basis now. People just need to be taught to aggressively use it.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:03 AM
professional curmudgeon

Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
There are thousands of Spanish soccer fans sat in bars a bit cheesed of without any football ball to watch and it's because their own phones grassed up the bar manager for not having a football licence - Sorry but I find it more amusing than a serious breach of privacy.

"Do you want 'Football Stats' to know where you are and record what you're saying all the time - Yes/No"

It's not like it's malware attempting to subvert permissions, it asked for mic and GPS. Why would you give an app that keeps track of football games and stats permission to access the microphone and GPS? Every platform can audit permissions on a per app basis now. People just need to be taught to aggressively use it.
you're right about why an app needs permissions. however, even when unnecessarily granted, it does not give license to do whatever with the data. ie read privacy policies. and not to be so nit picky but for many w/o always buying the newest device/platform, those options are not available.

why the need to upgrade a device for something that shouldn't be there in the first place?

this is a serious breach of privacy disguised as law enforcement.

loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 06-15-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:35 PM
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 98 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post

It's because people are idiots. Just look at all the Flashlight apps for Android that ask for full network access, contact lists, and storage access....and they get good reviews.

Team Boinc! - Forum Folding War Team
Gentoo Linux - Telemetry Free Since 1999!
Washington Capitals 2018 Stanley Cup Champions
Boinc Desktop
(15 items)
CrunchAholic
(10 items)
NAS
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVOPlus
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream XE 240 Radiator
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 150mm Tube Res
Case
Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
Motherboard
Asrock Rack EP2C602
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
RAM
64 GBs Samsung M939B1K70CHD-CH9 PC3-10600R
Hard Drive
Samsung HD322HJ
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
CPU
i3-4130T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM
CORSAIR CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 10 TB x3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 8 TB
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in