[NVIDIA] NVIDIA GPU DRIVER SECURITY WARNING - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[NVIDIA] NVIDIA GPU DRIVER SECURITY WARNING

post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Nvidia Enthusiast

Rep: 266 (Unique: 208)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Not for all Dell products apparently. They will absolutely not install on my G3 3579 or my buddies G7 7588 without a workaround.
must be a newer thing, i use driver directly from nvidia's website for my precision from late 2014

gaming rig
(18 items)
CPU
Intel Core i9 9900K
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition.
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3600MHz 16GB
Hard Drive
HGST 2TB
Hard Drive
Seagate 2.5 Inch 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Intel 660p NVME 512GB
Optical Drive
LG Blu Ray drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM850i 850W
Cooling
Corsair H115i /W Modded backplate
Case
Corsair C70 Gunmetal
Operating System
windows 10 Pro
Monitor
MSI OPTIX MAG24C
Monitor
Acer XFA240 bmjdpr
Keyboard
G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780 MX
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Elite
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 862 (Unique: 630)
Got a 1060 and a couple of 1050s that are still in Driver 317 or something. Seems like this vulnerability needs local access, so my guess not a big deal for most.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 332 (Unique: 237)

Trying to install the DCH package mentioned tells me to contact Dell for appropriate drivers. It's dumb.
That's the standard vs DCH drivers of Windows. Had that happen too on desktop when I DDUed after 1060 and installed 2070 and couldn't get the standard drivers to install because Windows automatically installs DCH and you can't cross install. DCH is newer so use that and remove the older driver in older format/standard.

You can see it in NVCP about page etc. that you're on DCH or standard. Also now in GPUz. Yeah it's stupid that they had to make two separate downloads without much explaining it instead of having 1 installer that deals with the small difference and install the appropriate version on it's own or makes the update to newer on it's own. There is some hack on TPU to get standard installed after your system auto installs DCH.

The only problem with laptop GPUs is the mGPU setups with dual GPUs. But even that nowadays should just install NV and Intel drivers from their site and call it a day.

---

What is this about anyway, I've installed NV driver recently and that's 431.70 which is the latest even today and not listed as vulnerable. It has been out since 29th, almost a week now. And the older 431.60 since 23rd.

Last edited by JackCY; 08-04-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:07 PM
⎬⎛⎝⎠⎞⎨

Rep: 158 (Unique: 123)
That was the regular driver. My only real option is to mod the drivers from what I can tell.

This is the error from the DCH driver. Clean install after DDU in safe mode has the same results.

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
That's the standard vs DCH drivers of Windows. Had that happen too on desktop when I DDUed after 1060 and installed 2070 and couldn't get the standard drivers to install because Windows automatically installs DCH and you can't cross install. DCH is newer so use that and remove the older driver in older format/standard.

You can see it in NVCP about page etc. that you're on DCH or standard. Also now in GPUz. Yeah it's stupid that they had to make two separate downloads without much explaining it instead of having 1 installer that deals with the small difference and install the appropriate version on it's own or makes the update to newer on it's own. There is some hack on TPU to get standard installed after your system auto installs DCH.

The only problem with laptop GPUs is the mGPU setups with dual GPUs. But even that nowadays should just install NV and Intel drivers from their site and call it a day.

---

What is this about anyway, I've installed NV driver recently and that's 431.70 which is the latest even today and not listed as vulnerable. It has been out since 29th, almost a week now. And the older 431.60 since 23rd.
Have you tried laptopvideo2go? Or making an INF mod request there?

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴ
Desktop for gaming
(17 items)
ThinkPad T480
(9 items)
ThinkPad T430 XM
(9 items)
CPU
i7 5820K
Motherboard
X99 Deluxe
GPU
RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
Crucial 4x4GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 10TB
Optical Drive
Dell CH03N BD
Power Supply
EVGA 750 G2
Cooling
Swiftech Drive H360X3
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809
Monitor
BenQ XL2430T
Monitor
ASUS PG279Q
Keyboard
Bloody B850
Mouse
Logitech G102 Prodigy (Mercury)
CPU
i7 8550U
Motherboard
Lenovo Windu-2 20L5
GPU
Intel UHD 620
RAM
F4-3000C16D-16GRS | 2x8GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Intel NVME SSD 256GB
Power Supply
Lenovo 65w USB-C
Cooling
Delta 01YR200
Operating System
Monitor
LP140WF6-SPB7 FHD IPS
CPU
i7 3920XM
Motherboard
Nozomi 4 Type 2344 BZU
GPU
Intel HD4000
RAM
F3-2133C11-8GSRL | 2x8GB 2133MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Power Supply
Lenovo 90W
Operating System
Monitor
AUO B140HAN01.3
Keyboard
Classic 7-row NMB 45N2211
▲ hide details ▲

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:36 PM
mfw

Rep: 374 (Unique: 197)
Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
At the start of the installtion, you have the option with or without GFE.
Strange, I must have missed it. Thanks!

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Indentified! On the Way!!

Rep: 153 (Unique: 114)
I have to say; the past two driver updates from nVidia on my own, personally built desktop for my 1080ti would not install. It would always error out. Something about wrong driver package for hardware or something similar. That is, until I installed Geforce Experience. Then they would install fine from within NGE. That's with a clean windows install also. Happened to me twice on my 3900x Asus ROG CHVIII Hero (wifi)

Something funny is going on and I believe nVidia is definitely pushing NGE.
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I'd update my driver but us laptop users can only use what the OEM supplies us, which in my case is Dell. So my GPU driver is 5 months out of date already.
I had this issue too but it turned out it was because once you DDU and then log back into windows with the internet on it downloads and installs the windows update one automatically and when you run the installer it throws up that error because DDU can not shut off driver downloads from windows update.

So what you have to do is, disable all network adapters, reboot into safe mode, ddu, reboot into normal mode (with network still off), install non-DCH drivers and it should work at that point. Good luck.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:10 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 332 (Unique: 237)
Quote: Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
I have to say; the past two driver updates from nVidia on my own, personally built desktop for my 1080ti would not install. It would always error out. Something about wrong driver package for hardware or something similar. That is, until I installed Geforce Experience. Then they would install fine from within NGE. That's with a clean windows install also. Happened to me twice on my 3900x Asus ROG CHVIII Hero (wifi)

Something funny is going on and I believe nVidia is definitely pushing NGE.
They have a help page that even shows up when not searching for Nvidia: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...windows-10-faq
Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...rporation.html

And finally the M$ pages I was looking for:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...versal-drivers
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...iver-scenarios

This stuff is old now but people who don't know still fall into the trap a year later anyway.

GFE works around the issue because it detects standard vs DCH and installs the compatible version. This is something the gigantic driver package should have been doing really.
I never install GFE bloatware.

I think there was some other related Intel GPU drivers issue but that's faint memory.

Quote: Originally Posted by JuanDeage View Post
I had this issue too but it turned out it was because once you DDU and then log back into windows with the internet on it downloads and installs the windows update one automatically and when you run the installer it throws up that error because DDU can not shut off driver downloads from windows update.

So what you have to do is, disable all network adapters, reboot into safe mode, ddu, reboot into normal mode (with network still off), install non-DCH drivers and it should work at that point. Good luck.
Or just install DCH driver, huh? Why not. They are finally updated.

Easiest is to DDU old drivers and then install DCH because that's very likely what Windows will auto install on boot before you can launch your own driver install.
NVCP is not in "metro" style or anything, everything is the same, it only says DCH instead of standard under driver details. The DCH are said to be better structured and easier to update only core parts etc. or so they say, I don't feel like reading the dev details when I'm not writing drivers am I.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 535 (Unique: 304)
studio driver drops.

NV gives reason to push everyone to it.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 454 (Unique: 386)
Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
Got a 1060 and a couple of 1050s that are still in Driver 317 or something. Seems like this vulnerability needs local access, so my guess not a big deal for most.
Does seem like it will come and go with the GPU driver priority moved up to critical a week on Tuesday. I'm clueless when it comes to browser based graphics, can you load a shader or access any DirectX, that would seem to defeat any sandbox so I guess not?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in