[Youtube - Project Veritas] Google "Machine Learning Fairness" Whistleblower Goes Public, says: "burden lifted off of my soul" - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Youtube - Project Veritas] Google "Machine Learning Fairness" Whistleblower Goes Public, says: "burden lifted off of my soul"

post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:35 PM
Engineer of Malcontent

Rep: 255 (Unique: 199)
The whole no politics thing needs to die already. We are people and you want talk, debate and discussion, yes even on a tech forum. If I cannot talk with my fellow peers and correct my view, or correct theirs, we live in a sanitized world meant for babies. How about just lock the thread once people become nasty to violate those rules? Politics and tech intersect, specifically in this case.

No matter what side your on, this is bad. yes its only a lot of conservatives getting banned or buried by algos, for now, but one day a repub might be in charge of google or company xyz, you really wanna see what they do when the tables are turned? This is not a good path to go down.

News should report exactly what happened and leave their opinions out, and search engines should just pull results based on the exact string searched, not the slant you wanna put on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:46 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Any search for profit system/company is skewed to give you very biased results. Google is long gone from a blank general search engine that gives you all the results, nowdays it gives you the one it wants for what ever good or bad reason, where good and bad definition is again based on point of view, yours, theirs, Google's, ... People used to use many search engines and sometimes results were similar, sometimes not, but people had to search at more places to find what they need. Google was great at finding stuff and had a ton of bank to develop huge unlike other search engines that stayed rather local, Google went global. Purposeful censorship of results on any platform is undesirable and if such censorship should be taking place then it either is because of a law or user's preference. For many things Google is not a good search engine/site anymore because it filters way too much based on what it wants or what other's have paid it to filter out.

If this thread is politics, then move it to politics and then discussion is fine? What's wrong with that. Don't put it under software news hey?

Its weird seeing this "no politics" lately on so many topics on front page.
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 30)
This is a technology company using software for political manipulation.
We are seeing a disturbing trend of increasingly influential applications of technologies for political purposes.
I think discussion of the political implications of technology should be allowed as long as participants refrain from party bashing/name calling etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:35 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®

Rep: 67 (Unique: 44)
Quote: Originally Posted by emeianoite View Post
how about I give your some headlines, just the headlines, it sounds like you would appreciate only headlines the most.

If I wanted headlines, I'd ask for them.
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Expert pin bender

Rep: 154 (Unique: 91)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Same deal though Bing search don't worry MS is working on it just like Google has perfected it's culling search results
MS has a pretty big share of facebook too not sure about twits are us how deep MS is into that platform too they sure were quick to install twit app at one time did they

Okay, originally you didn't mention Bing but MSNBC/windows10. I still use bing off an on, it's still mostly working. I would provide details but it would dive into politics. Maybe i could try to find some that aren't politically inclined.

GPU i currently own: 390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/RX 580 - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 552 (Unique: 313)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
Is thinking a multi-billion dollar corporation is actively seeing how dark of a shade of gray they can get away with being in the name of maximizing profits considered a conspiracy theory now?

That's been the standard practice since the East Indian Trade Company hasn't it?
exactly, that's why I always thought it was stupid that folks considered it a conspiracy. They're also the same folks that're now... nvm.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:47 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 78 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post
Okay, originally you didn't mention Bing but MSNBC/windows10. I still use bing off an on, it's still mostly working. I would provide details but it would dive into politics. Maybe i could try to find some that aren't politically inclined.
Have you given DuckDuckGo a shot? It's been working well for me, reminds me of pre-2008 google search results.

https://duckduckgo.com/

post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 26)
So... since we're getting closer and closer to a dystopian hellscape ruled by megacorps where the machinery of unbridled capitalism will be oiled with the blood of the workers, when does everything get purple and we can buy robo-waifus?

AyyMD
(15 items)
DooM Ripper
(13 items)
X58 Lazarus
(12 items)
CPU
Threadripper 2950X
Motherboard
Asrock X399 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII @ 1801MHz 1021mV
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 CL14
Hard Drive
3x 512GB NVMe m.2 SSD in Raid 0
Hard Drive
1TB Sata SSD
Power Supply
EVGA 1000W G2
Cooling
AMD Wraith Ripper
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C White
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
LG 32'' 1440p 144Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K68 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Glaive RGB
Mousepad
Corsair Mouse Mat
Audio
Corsair HS70 SE Wireless
CPU
Threadripper 1950X @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard
ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6
GPU
PowerColor Radeon 5700XT Red Devil
RAM
32GB Corsair DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
Crucial 256GB M.2 Sata SSD
Hard Drive
Inland 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic 850W Gold
Cooling
Deepcool Fryzen
Case
Maingear Vybe RGB Red
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Monitor
LG 27'' 4k Freesync
Keyboard
Logitech G613
Mouse
Logitech G602
CPU
Intel Xeon X5675 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage III Gene X58 mATX
GPU
Gigabyte Aorus RX570 4GB
RAM
24GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 Triple-Channel
Hard Drive
240GB PNY SSD
Hard Drive
480GB PNY SSD
Power Supply
PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer III
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S
Case
Fractal Design Define Mini C TG
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Monitor
Acer 48'' 2160p HDR
Keyboard
Logitech K830
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:31 PM
Indentified! On the Way!!

Rep: 153 (Unique: 114)
Quote: Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post
The whole no politics thing needs to die already. We are people and you want talk, debate and discussion, yes even on a tech forum. If I cannot talk with my fellow peers and correct my view, or correct theirs, we live in a sanitized world meant for babies. How about just lock the thread once people become nasty to violate those rules? Politics and tech intersect, specifically in this case.

No matter what side your on, this is bad. yes its only a lot of conservatives getting banned or buried by algos, for now, but one day a repub might be in charge of google or company xyz, you really wanna see what they do when the tables are turned? This is not a good path to go down.

News should report exactly what happened and leave their opinions out, and search engines should just pull results based on the exact string searched, not the slant you wanna put on it.

Exactly this.
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:31 PM
Expert pin bender

Rep: 154 (Unique: 91)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Have you given DuckDuckGo a shot? It's been working well for me, reminds me of pre-2008 google search results.

https://duckduckgo.com/

haven't used it much, guess i will give it another round when i need to search. I know most of my sites by url and manually type it in. I know old school, but i don't search much these days

GPU i currently own: 390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/RX 580 - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in