[Hardware Unboxed] It's Over, DLSS is Dead: New Nvidia Sharpening Filter Tested - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Hardware Unboxed] It's Over, DLSS is Dead: New Nvidia Sharpening Filter Tested

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 337 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
ha ha ha, no.

to begin with the pseudo-raytracing being used in some games doesn't even need RT cores yet looks just as impressive.
You don't need a GPU to do graphics either, so why buy one. A CPU can render it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:15 AM
new to OCN?

Rep: 1542 (Unique: 926)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
You don't need a GPU to do graphics either, so why buy one. A CPU can render it.
this reminds me more a physx card on die rather a new kind of processor architecture, the thing is now you dont decide if you want to buy a device for exlcusive physx processing, you are just buying it and the video cards price increase
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:20 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 140 (Unique: 94)
DLSS hasn't impressed me at all. Glad that Nvidia got on board with how AMD is doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:21 AM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 176 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
DLSS hasn't impressed me at all. Glad that Nvidia got on board with how AMD is doing it.
They just made it easier to enable a feature they've had since driver 390.XX. I'm glad to see AMD is jumping onboard with AI upscaling using DirectML to compete with DLSS.

https://www.overclock.net/#/topics/1730570

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:54 AM
Otherworlder

Rep: 217 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
yeah, i know you meant it as sarcasm but the key point is existing GPUs doesn't need RT cores to get a leg in raytracing, and its already a practical alternative to Nvidia's RTX GPUs.
so what would you prefer, push forward an Nvidia-exlcusive function and shut-off everyone else? or let them develop a different approach for the same result that applies to everyone?

even Physx went through this phase, Havok proved that physics feature isn't Nvidia-exclusive.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.

Last edited by epic1337; 08-27-2019 at 11:58 AM.
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:03 PM
sudo apt install sl

yeah, i know you meant it as sarcasm but the key point is existing GPUs doesn't need RT cores to get a leg in raytracing, and its already a practical alternative to Nvidia's RTX GPUs.
so what would you prefer, push forward an Nvidia-exlcusive function and shut-off everyone else? or let them develop a different approach for the same result that applies to everyone?

even Physx went through this phase, Havok proved that physx feature isn't Nvidia-exclusive.
The other method for global illumination is voxel based global illumination which nVidia created. Both AMD and nVidia decided on BVH for DxR when working with Microsoft which isn't a nVidia exclusive feature.

What AMD is lacking is hardware to accelerate BVH. Once AMD releases hardware that's capable they'll be able to enable DxR on all current titles.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Otherworlder

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
The other method for global illumination is voxel based global illumination which nVidia created. Both AMD and nVidia decided on BVH for DxR when working with Microsoft which isn't a nVidia exclusive feature.

What AMD is lacking is hardware to accelerate BVH. Once AMD releases hardware that's capable they'll be able to enable DxR on all current titles.
not specifically an accelerator strictly for BVH, voxel computation is also used in other things besides dynamic lighting.
this means they'd just need to tweak the cores and a beefier bandwidth (e.g. bigger and faster caches) to increase voxel computation throughput.

edit: to quote someone from reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...racing_patent/
Quote:
The following is my interpretation of the AMD paper, I might be wrong on some things.
The idea of AMD is to add BVH node fetch + BVH intersection (and sorting) + triangle intersection hardware to the texture unit.
So the while-loop of the traversal is run on the shader units, which includes storing the traversal stack in the general purpose vector registers (unlike Nvidia who use special purpose registers in the RT core hardware).
This should give the programmer a bit more freedom: they can choose which child node(s) to traverse and in what order (although I wouldn't know any use case for this).

A big advantage of this system is that it requires way less additional transistors because many of the existing hardware can be reused: BVH can be cached using the texture cache and the traversal stack can be stored in the VGPR registers.
The only big question is whether the shader operations or the shader / texture (&ray tracing) unit communication will become a bottleneck.

On paper AMDs proposed system seems really smart. Nvidia has to rely on developers to use all 3 types of cores (shader + RT + Tensor) in parallel for optimal hardware usage.
No game will ever use the shader / RT / Tensor cores all to the same amount and there are usually a lot of inter-task dependencies so utilization of all 3 cores will never even get close to 100%.

By re-using as much hardware as possible AMD would ensure that as many transistors as possible are being put to use at any time, independent of the task at hand.
On paper this seems like a good idea but we'd should wait to see it in action before we draw any conclusions.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.

Last edited by epic1337; 08-27-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:41 PM
sudo apt install sl

not specifically an accelerator strictly for BVH, voxel computation is also used in other things besides dynamic lighting.
this means they'd just need to tweak the cores and a beefier bandwidth (e.g. bigger and faster caches) to increase voxel computation throughput.
Do you want them to drop all their current work that they focused on GPU accelerated BVH that can be seen with Radeon Rays to work on something nVidia created(and dropped)? I'm sure there is a good reason that both major video card manufacturers decided on BVH when working with Microsoft on the future API(DxR.)

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:47 PM
Otherworlder

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Do you want them to drop all their current work that they focused on GPU accelerated BVH that can be seen with Radeon Rays to work on something nVidia created(and dropped)? I'm sure there is a good reason that both major video card manufacturers decided on BVH when working with Microsoft on the future API(DxR.)
i edited my post, the commenter i quoted there tells me that their development plan isn't a dedicated accelerator but they're tweaking the existing GPU units to fully support BVH instead.
which means to say, we might be able to get BVH-capable GPUs with very minor changes in the architecture.

so what i said was spot on.

post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:06 PM
sudo apt install sl

i edited my post, the commenter i quoted there tells me that their development plan isn't a dedicated accelerator but they're tweaking the existing GPU units to fully support BVH instead.
which means to say, we might be able to get BVH-capable GPUs with very minor changes in the architecture.

so what i said was spot on.
Again currently AMD is lacking hardware to accelerate BVH as quickly as nVidia's RT cores. A GPU is an accelerator which is used to accelerate BVH(GPU-accelerated Bounding Volume Hierarchy.) Both of their goals are the same to accelerate BVH. DxR isn't exclusive to just nVidia. OptiX is exclusive to nVidia just like Radeon Rays is exclusive to AMD.

From the patent it appears they created what they call a "texture processor" which I've never seen on their previous architectures. So yes they're going to have dedicated hardware to accelerate BVH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 1.02.46 PM.png
Views:	4
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	291898  

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 1.05.11 PM.png
Views:	3
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	291900  

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 1.05.44 PM.png
Views:	3
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	291902  

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in