[Hardware Unboxed] It's Over, DLSS is Dead: New Nvidia Sharpening Filter Tested - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Hardware Unboxed] It's Over, DLSS is Dead: New Nvidia Sharpening Filter Tested

post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:10 PM
Just another nerd

Rep: 336 (Unique: 241)
Never installed GFE and never will. Same goes for Razer Synapse. Not an issue though since I don't use their (Razer) products anymore. DO NOT WANT!

CPU: intel Core i9 9900K - 5 GHz all core HT on - 1.26v - Air cooled
MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
GPU: MSI Duke OC RTX 2080 Ti - 380w PL BIOS
RAM: G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 CL15 (Samsung B-die)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3
CASE: "Open bench" - Stripped down Tt Core X9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:13 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 217 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
From the patent it appears they created what they call a "texture processor" which I've never seen on their previous architectures. So yes they're going to have dedicated hardware to accelerate BVH.
its called TMUs in their GPU blocks, e.g. Texture Mapping Units.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:45 PM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 436 (Unique: 300)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
edit: to quote someone from reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...racing_patent/
I think he is mistaken at the end.
Because DxR is part of DX, and it is a standard that RTX stands behind it at the end of the day.
Nvidia do not relay on developers to run through RT cores, but they are doing it themselves through the drivers. That is also how they allow DxR in their non RTX cards, by making a path to allow RT without RT cores. Of course it cost more in terms of performance.

RT cores now are like physx back in the day. Where you needed a really buffy dedicated GPU to offload the physx running on the GPU to really benefit from it. We used to run 3xSLI or 3xCF and a 4th dedicated nvidia GPU to be able to both push game performance and not be hindered by physx.
So the low amount of RT cores is currently the bottleneck. If you could lets say get a GTX 2080 and a GTX 1060 and offload all the RT calculations to the 1060, you could basically get a running 60fps 4K with full RT because you no longer get so bottlenecked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:05 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 337 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
yeah, i know you meant it as sarcasm but the key point is existing GPUs doesn't need RT cores to get a leg in raytracing, and its already a practical alternative to Nvidia's RTX GPUs.
so what would you prefer, push forward an Nvidia-exlcusive function and shut-off everyone else? or let them develop a different approach for the same result that applies to everyone?

even Physx went through this phase, Havok proved that physics feature isn't Nvidia-exclusive.
No you don't need RT cores for RT, most tracing renderers run on CPU although in recent years they do use GPU heavily for faster parallel compute and now even RT HW accelerations unless they want to be left in dust.
I would hardly call a GTX 1080 practical alternative of RTX 2070 for ray tracing. You can check the performances of 1080Ti even Volta vs Turing RTX cards.

It's not Nvidia exclusive, it's not shutting everyone else off. It's standardized in DX and Vulkan for anyone to use. If you don't want to use these APIs and their tracing "extensions/APIs" then you can do it in shaders on any other API but obviously without HW acceleration and much slower.
This approach does apply to everyone. It's not an Nvidia only API.

Anyone can make a GPU and write a driver that supports DXR and Vulkan tracing (either https://www.khronos.org/registry/vul...NV_ray_tracing or make their own extension, OGL always had features as extensions and the same now goes for Vulkan, new things are added by those who make them "kinda" instead of having to wait decades for M$ to update DX, see what AMD had to do with Mantle to even get M$ to wake up and start making DX12 finally).

Why can't we use AMD/Intel GPUs for ray tracing, we can, why not, but they did not add driver support for DXR or Vulkan ray tracing, so anything that uses those two standardized APIs that offer HW acceleration on selected NV cards and run on shaders on other NV cards won't run at all on AMD/Intel because the driver is outdated and doesn't support these APIs. So if you wanted to say play Q2VKPT/Q2RTX you would have to go and write a wrapper for AMD/Intel and make the calculations on shaders/CPU instead of having it fail due to lack of driver support.

Why is AMD not rushing on board? Well they don't care, they always focus on server compute instead, that's what their cards are designed for, server/cloud use. So they have extensions/APIs for ray tracing for non gaming purposes on their GPUs, etc. They don't really invest as much as NV into their software and education/website/tutorials ==> most developers are familiar with NV's DX6-11/OGL tutorials since they've been there for ages, while AMD only recently has revamped their web to provide access to any developer relevant information. You search for graphics and API guides and you're gonna end up on NV's site sooner than on AMD, for over a decade. AMD now also has GPUopen and neither of their sites are exactly easy to navigate, search and use, confusing "modern" UI with article/news style list and that's it. No tree structure, nothing, no easy way to find guides, tutorials, documentation.

NV invests a lot into support as well despite AMD's solutions indeed can be faster and better overall, developers get support from NV and can actually find stuff they need, not spend days trying to dig out of AMD's pages on their own.

Programming and graphics are hard enough already without having to deal with poor resources.

AMD is playing a waiting game because they know their products are very slow (same as GTX are) with tracing anything, so why ruin their reputation even more by enabling a feature even 1% won't use because it's too slow on their hardware. They need to add HW acceleration first, then they will enable the support in driver/software. Till then they better finally fix their never ending HW encoder issues.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 171 (Unique: 125)
Weren't the ray tracing acceleration and dlss aspects of the consumer gpu's just an afterthought though? I mean, they did the same thing they have always done in selling the gpu's that didn't cut it as AI and other enterprise level gpu's as the consumer gpu's and needed a justification for the tensor cores that were eating up so much of the die space, right?

post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
nvidia exclusive oi vey...

ray tracing is on the api level, not nv, amd, or anyone else.

see pixar cars for first use of ray tracing in an animated movie.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
If anyone is interested in a image sharpening on upscale vs native resolution comparison... DLSS vs RIS vs OLD Nvidia Sharpening Igors lab, English on the bottom showing the settings and auto translate if you want some details. It's from 2 months ago, so I guess it's more of a RIS vs DLSS comparison. Pretty handy for anyone who DSR upscales.

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Blower, Ryzen 2600 4.0 ghz, AIO Cool Mast Seidon 120mm, 3200 ddr3 cl16, B450m Asrock Pro 4 Mobo, 700 Watt PSU.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:05 AM
new to OCN?

Rep: 1542 (Unique: 926)
Quote: Originally Posted by Sheyster View Post
Never installed GFE and never will. Same goes for Razer Synapse. Not an issue though since I don't use their (Razer) products anymore. DO NOT WANT!
Nvidia didnt use GFE for tracking their customers gaming habits? like that one study which had "shown" that the players benefit from faster video cards on competitive gaming?
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:11 AM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 176 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post
Nvidia didnt use GFE for tracking their customers gaming habits? like that one study which had "shown" that the players benefit from faster video cards on competitive gaming?
AMD's drivers do the same exact thing unless opting out of telemetry which is pre-checked. The only problem I have with GFE is that it requires login.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:20 AM
new to OCN?

Rep: 1542 (Unique: 926)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
AMD's drivers do the same exact thing unless opting out of telemetry which is pre-checked. The only problem I have with GFE is that it requires login.
hwo could I disable it? is it before installing ? I dont find an option on the drivers, maybe it is somewhere in registry?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in