[deeplearning.ai]Prototype ray-tracing alternative is 2000x faster! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[deeplearning.ai]Prototype ray-tracing alternative is 2000x faster!

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
[deeplearning.ai]Prototype ray-tracing alternative is 2000x faster!

Results: The researchers compared photographic input and generated images from a variety of data sets, including consumer cameras, across several scene-capture techniques, including traditional and deep learning methods. Their system (Neural Point-Based Graphics) scored highest on a number of measures of image similarity. While its rendering of synthetic scenes isn’t as realistic as that achieved by state-of-the-art ray tracing methods, it produces good-looking images roughly 2,000 times faster.

Why it matters: Neural Point-Based Graphics is a distinct step forward for end-to-end scene capture. By demonstrating that point clouds and images — which can come from a smartphone — together can represent scenes in realistic detail, this research opens the door for refinements that could ultimately compete with the best current methods in a much simpler pipeline.

We're thinking: Just as neural networks have replaced rule-based systems in computer vision and language applications, they’re on track to have a similar impact in graphics. Given its simplicity and speed, this approach could facilitate real-time applications such as video games, virtual reality, and augmented reality.

Source: https://info.deeplearning.ai/the-bat...z-without-mesh
Academic article source: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1906.08240.pdf
Attached Images

Last edited by ryan92084; 09-06-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:44 AM
RTX ON FPS OFF

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
I think ultimately the future of digital content will be AI created on demand. Both to meet the exact and tailored needs/wants of the viewer/gamer and to provide endless streams of content that hit just the right spot in our cerebral cortex to keep us hooked. Creating 'realistic' graphics and 3d models for games is just a nicety along the way.

KRAKEN
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2
Cooling
EK Velocity Nickel-Plexi, EK Vector RTX Nickel-Plexi, EK EX360, Koolance 360mm, Enermax Neochanger
Case
Thermaltake A500
Operating System
W10 Premium
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair LUX
Mouse
Logitech G502 Spectrum
Audio
Audiotechnica ATH-900X, SBX G5, MODMIC
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 551 (Unique: 312)
Quote: Originally Posted by anticommon View Post
I think ultimately the future of digital content will be AI created on demand. Both to meet the exact and tailored needs/wants of the viewer/gamer and to provide endless streams of content that hit just the right spot in our cerebral cortex to keep us hooked. Creating 'realistic' graphics and 3d models for games is just a nicety along the way.
just look at how some parents allow their (near)infantile kids to latch onto pads already. they're like little heroin addicts. The battery dies, the damn thing goes flying across the room, as the fit ensues.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 114)
Quote: Originally Posted by Cibic View Post
We're thinking: Just as neural networks have replaced rule-based systems in computer vision and language applications
That's rich.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 137 (Unique: 110)

I know this is off-topic, but I was having this exact conversation with one of my friends earlier this week. I suspect that in the next 20 - 30 years we are going to see games moving away from being "hand-made" and the development focus is going to turn towards engines / AI / algorithms that just generate or expand the game you play in real-time making a truly "endless" world with limitless possibilities.

Obviously there will still be a need for some story writers, etc. for things like world-building / lore, the main quest-line, or any other stories the developers wish to tell. But other than that, the rest of the quests / jobs, gear, skills, etc. in these games will just be "radiant" that branch off from whatever the game creates. I hope I can see this technology before I die in the next 60 years at least.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:43 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Point clouds are common but they are not well suited for animation = games. Their main use is to replicate real world scenes really, if you have a virtual world you still create it classic way and then turn it into a point cloud.

All I see is a drawing of a point cloud as 2D video. Yeah, mmm, that's not new.

There used to be a company in AU which focused on AR and used point clouds for their games/demos. While it ran "fast" and could do good detail the big question was ANIMATION. If all you want to do is run around a static point cloud world... that tech has been here for ages.
Neural network algos are suited for graphics but don't run that fast for this usecase yet on the hardware we have. A stupid half decent denoiser can eat all your GPU compute easily. Want to rescale an image with half decent algorithm? Alright, wait a second or two or even more. That's not really real time graphics, but usable for batching.

If anything can come close to RT for real time it's likely faking it with voxels as a simplification.

Let me know when they launch a real time virtual world point cloud 3D demo/game with animated and dynamic objects, you know, skeletal systems, moving objects.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 152 (Unique: 89)
people keep using the term "AI" like it means anything at all in the context they type it in.

Fuzzy Logic isn't AI, it's more a "quantum algorithm". Neural Net processing is ALSO not "AI" it is reflexive processing - far more like a plinko machine than intelligence - it simply learns where things are going and uses shortcuts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
To this day, Ai stands for augmented intelligence. We don't have true artificial intelligence yet...

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 551 (Unique: 312)
Inigo always had great advice

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Tags
alternatives , ray , tracing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in