Overclock.net banner

[IGN] EA Launches Surprise Cloud Gaming Trial With Four Games

4K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  Malinkadink 
#1 · (Edited)
EA wants to ensure "that there is strong quality of service in cloud gaming by being able to adjust to real-world, often less than ideal, conditions such as unstable bandwidth and network strength." Is utilizing Amazon Web Services (AWS) and the public cloud so it can "deploy as close to the players as possible, even in the face of unstable networks and changes in bandwidth."

The four games chosen for this trial - FIFA 19, Titanfall 2, Need for Speed Rivals, and Unravel, were picked so EA can test many different genres of game to ensure gamers get the best performance possible when/if EA's cloud service becomes a full-fledged service.

Furthermore, EA will be testing the "technical functionality of cross play" that will allow players to play together no matter what device they are using. Additionally, the goal is to ensure cross save will be implemented as well.
Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/10/ea-launches-surprise-cloud-gaming-trial-with-four-games

Seems like bad news to me. If having a few alternatives to steam is annoying, imagine how annoying multiple major streaming services for games could be for some. Luckily theses services are entirely optional. Still, I see this news less about EA and more about more companies jumping on this band wagon, which to me is not a good thing... especially if that company is EA.

#2 ·
Looking at the bright side, if these many companies are jumping on it, it must be doable.

#3 ·
Maybe, or maybe just profitable.

I have a hard time believing gameplay streaming will perform without noticeable input lag anytime in the near future.

#32 ·

#8 ·
Excellent, thank you EA for trying what was a failure with Diablo III. Can't wait to see this purely greedy attempt to turn into a disaster.

#10 ·
as someone who plays games in 4k with an xbox 360 controller, pretty sure I will notice.

Try steamlink with ur phone. It sucks right? How much better can it be than lan? Probably not any...

I have a game controller for my phone so I can basically use it like a PC and stream anything from my PC to my phone over lan and let me tell you, it leaves a lot to be desired.

#14 ·
like I said in another thread. This coming console is likely the last one with an optical drive. :p

I'll be getting a PS9000 IF it has genuine/free emulated backward compatibility. Which means i'm probably not buying one. I'll go buy one of those expensive ass PS3 testers if I have to.

#16 ·
Was searching about offline access to cloud files in general. You can get it in some cases and store some of it on your pc but it's use is limited because it's only stale data. But will someone like a modder figure out a way to create an offline version of a cloud game? Which doesn't sound legal at this point.

#18 ·
#22 ·
its about the subscription models yo. Games are revenue spikes, they want that sweet sweet sub money between spikes.

and yeah, onsite solutions are pretty much archaic at this point, not to mention massive up front cost, refresh cycle, and never fully utilizing the assets you overpay for.

I'm not an azure shill, i just really hate hardware cycles. Giant rooms full of old hardware that then gets given to Bob & Joes drunken pickup service, who nickles n dimes it out to fund their next meth lab. orrr they just sell it to scrappers n it ends up on fire in Africa.

#23 ·
Yuck. Disgusting. Maybe works for some single player games that don't require really require reaction time... but anything else... just no.

#31 ·
standard rate from click to action has been recorded many many times by many trusted resources, easy enough to google up. It was even part of the VRR Vs. no VRR debate for awhile.

#33 ·
all EA cares about is good enough, and subscriptions. They're a profoundly better system from a business standpoint than standard product drop cycles.

wait, I got it backward... Subscriptions, THEN "good enough."

as long as its ~ the latency of a 2nd gen console, it'll be fine ;)

#35 · (Edited)
and that latency in CS is on top of everything else :D

this will work flawlessly for folks that live in certain cities, with certain infrastructures. Everyone else is boned for anything better than piss poor perf compared to what even a console killer PC could do. Maybe not in the graphics dept, but 100% in the responsive, quality experience dept.

however, as a built into TV solution? I'm sure it'll be great. ;)

I just inherited a giiiiaant smart TV old enough to only work as a regular TV. I love it. Never clicking that update button.

#38 ·
i can tell you my home experience, Vs. streaming to my shield, Vs. Streaming content via Nvidia to my shield... all very drastically different things. The latency between PC >> Shield is almost unnoticeable. The latency of Nvidia's streaming service? Very noticeable. It feels like gaming on a PS2/PS3, as far as latency. It's "playable" for all the 5+ year old titles they list, but again... Playable like an ancient console.

but again, this has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with restructuring the business model to include more subscribers. Not to mention their games were already being developed for STADIA... How does this surprise anyone.

#40 ·
lemme ask this... does PUBG have a high default latency? I always felt like that was the most intentionally latent game ever. I'm pretty sure my N64 was faster.

#42 ·
i still experienced it with nuked settings. Just like, all the time, always. I pushed through it for 4-5 hours n said no thx. It was my first and only attempt at jumping onto the modern BR craze. I guess i'm partial to arma, & its mods. Specially now that #3 has matured, & can run like almost like a dream .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.