[mozilla blog] Firefox’s Test Pilot Program Returns with Firefox Private Network Beta - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[mozilla blog] Firefox’s Test Pilot Program Returns with Firefox Private Network Beta

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 551 (Unique: 312)
Quote: Originally Posted by huzzug View Post
So more like "Realty Kings"?
yep, Dancing Bear LLC is here as well. Turns out they're also an investment firm. oi vey

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 78 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
yep, good luck finding anything outside of ads & sm accounts now.

flamingtext.com ftw

tomato tomato... one tomato just wants to rule the world.
Neat website. Never heard of it before.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 551 (Unique: 312)
SERIOUSLY!?

That's where we built our header,etc art as kids, on yahoo/geocities sites, etc... before getting a copy of photoshop, and long before any sort of social media cohesion. IDK if anyone remembers, but that's one of the ways MySpace pulled users from private sites. We were able to actually customize the page on a level basic HTML writers would understand.

also, haaa! I'm surprised its still alive.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:22 AM
Kill Confirmed

I had to do some searching to get the Firefox add on. Link - https://private-network.firefox.com/

I don't use Wi-Fi at all, so am using the add on for some of it's nice and well polished features. It's not broken any websites yet so we'll see how it goes.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:43 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 103)
Don't understand the point of this besides being some kind of marketing gimmick. Even if somebody is wifi eavesdropping, (e.g. wireshark'ing a malicious wireless AP they setup) if you are connecting via HTTPS (which you should be for everything now), besides getting some dns info they still can't really do anything.

They should just promote using the HTTPS everywhere add-on in force encrypt all traffic mode, doesn't really break anything nowadays and that way a malicious party doing what I just said above can't do a downgrade attack. This accomplishes basically the same thing for most end users. The main benefit this offers most users (protection over wifi) would basically be covered by that add-on alone without having to route your traffic through some unknown network.

Now if you really want some free VPN'like anonymous network, why not just add the Tor Button/Tor Launcher add-on to your Firefox browser and connect via Tor network. Sure you won't be fingerprint/tracking proof like a true Tor Browser user would but you would have the benefits of a VPN'like connection, you would accomplish the same thing if not even better than using "Firefox Private Network".

This is like a noob version of Tor Button, while being crappier than it or basically any of the paid VPN services which are dirt cheap nowadays. Like really if you live in CONUS, you can get a dedicated VPN connection for maybe $20 a year and be better off.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xJumper; 09-13-2019 at 03:46 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:03 AM
Kill Confirmed

When I tested TOR it caused most websites to load incorrectly, including this one. And I would be logged out of any forum or website like Amazon every 15 seconds or so. Super frustrating. Though that was some time ago and may very well be fixed by now.

This extension doesn't cause that to happen.

Also, if we're talking VPN's IVPN is quite good and I strongly recommend it. It costs more, but you get what you pay for. https://www.ivpn.net/

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:34 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
When I tested TOR it caused most websites to load incorrectly, including this one.
If you used the actual TOR browser then yes, I would expect that a track happy site like this one would not cooperate very well. That's because the TBB by default only accepts the most basic cookies. If all you did is proxy your network traffic through TOR, then I don't think you would be logged out. Hence why I suggested just using the Tor proxy on a stock browser either by add-ons or configuring your network manager accordingly.

Another reason why websites block/don't work with TOR is because TOR actually works... VPN's even paid ones for the most part aren't really anonymizing you while TOR generally does, so because it actually works websites block it.

This extension doesn't cause that to happen.

Also, if we're talking VPN's IVPN is quite good and I strongly recommend it. It costs more, but you get what you pay for. https://www.ivpn.net/
This extension is like a false sense of security. If you ready the TOS and look at how it works Mozilla assigns you a unique identifier, all your DNS requests are up streamed to cloud fare (one of the biggest data aggregators/trackers on the net). The legal framework of protections they have in place is much less than even some of the worst VPN service providers that claim "no logs", this service there definitely is logs.

Basically every "free" proxy service that's every existed or "free" VPN has made money off data aggregation. This is why anybody serious about privacy pays for a VPN, which is so cheap nowadays there's no excuse even somebody on minimum wage who cares about their privacy shouldn't be able to afford one. I mean were talking as low as $20/yr for some of them...

If all you want is protection from MITM attacks/Wifi snoopers (the only real thing this add-on would be useful for) than the TLS/SSL that almost every website worth a crap nowadays uses is more than enough. Combined with HTTPS everywhere to prevent a downgrade and you're set. There's no reason to have to tunnel your traffic through some "free" unknown service providers network, incurring latency, etc when all it can really protect you from was the former.

I'm also surprised Mozilla partnered up with Cloudfare considering Cloudfare is getting bad reps from the privacy/security/TOR community on them filtering the internet. Cloudfare has been firewall'ing out users of various anonymous internet browsing systems such as the TOR network and just straight up denying anyone access to Cloudfare hosted sites or sticking them in endless captcha loops. Their claim that exit node IP's are used for attacks more so than other IP's was proved to be bull crap yet they still do it. Why? Because they want all the data on the net, all the DNS info, everything. They only pretend to be on your side.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xJumper; 09-13-2019 at 09:48 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:37 AM
Kill Confirmed

I was not aware Mozilla partnered up with Cloudflare. I have some experience with Cloudflare's service and support and have nothing good to say about them.

Since you seem to be quite knowledgeable on the subject xJumper, in what capacity is CF working with Mozilla? I just switched to FF from Chrome but I dunno how long I want to stick with FF. Still looking at my options.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Old to Overclock.net

I was not aware Mozilla partnered up with Cloudflare. I have some experience with Cloudflare's service and support and have nothing good to say about them.

Since you seem to be quite knowledgeable on the subject xJumper, in what capacity is CF working with Mozilla? I just switched to FF from Chrome but I dunno how long I want to stick with FF. Still looking at my options.
Cloudfare has been "working" with everyone, they want to become THE dns resolver when it comes to browsers and the internet. Recently many browsers have been moving towards trying to implement DNS over TLS or some form of encrypted DNS system. Apart from a handful of providers, most users ISP's do not support DNS over TLS or any of the related protocols so the browser makers have gravitated to towards the one or two centralized providers that do, Cloudfare and Google being the main ones.

Basically a lot of browsers, including Firefox have Cloudfare DNS support baked into them or at least have it as an option. With this specific Firefox plugin you are sending everything through Cloudfare. Word on the street is that Mozilla and Firefox are on track to make DNS over HTTPS through Cloudfare as a default option in the regular stock FF browser in a few coming releases, this plugin or not.

When it comes to implementing/using DNS over some form of encryption there's many ways, including this said plugin. There's different providers, different protocols, etc. It's all confusing and sometimes hard to implement correctly, and then when you do implement it correctly you are still faced with the problem that all your DNS queries are up streamed to a sole single entity (e.g Cloudfare or Google) who may have dubious motives in regards to your privacy.

My recommendation to tackle the DNS security/privacy problem would be to forget about this plugin, any of the DNS over TLS, DNSSEC, Open DNS or whatever else they have going and just use a VPN. If you have a VPN setup correctly (a lot of people don't) and you are not leaking any DNS requests, all your DNS requests will go to your VPN provider through an encrypted tunnel and you'll be safe that way along with being safe from any of the other attack vectors the "Firefox Private Network" plugin is trying to protect you against.

As for browsers, you really only have three choices. Chrome, Edge/IE or whatever they call it now (soon to be Chrome anyway) or Firefox. Firefox is still probably the best name in town as far as security/privacy goes for a multitude of reasons beyond which I could write in a single post. There's a bunch of other, what I call "one off" browsers, e.g. Waterfox, Palemoon, Brave, Vilvadi or whatever and I would caution against those. I haven't seen any that offer anything really spectacular in regards to privacy/security over FF, they don't have the same level of development backing so things like updates/security patches are sometimes lagging, and they actually make your privacy worse. "Alternative" browsers like those basically represent like 0.0001% of the browser market share, you can almost guarantee that you will be fingerprinted and uniquely identifiable across many websites just by virtue of being in the 0.0001% of users using those indie web browsers.

Here is the privacy policy for Cloudfare DNS used in the Firefox Private Network.
https://www.cloudflare.com/mozilla/f...rivacy-notice/

Here is a short form breakdown some knowledgeable internet people have done on the whole thing.
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/com..._with_firefox/

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xJumper; 09-15-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in