[IGN] Report: Steam's 30% Cut Is Actually the Industry Standard - Page 10 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[IGN] Report: Steam's 30% Cut Is Actually the Industry Standard

post #91 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
When Phoenix Point went Epic Exclusive, I found this amazing Google Spreadsheet that honestly compared the features of Steam, Epic Game Store, and Piracy. I can't find the link for the life of me. Here's a comparison of all the game stores, sans Piracy. It's not really that good, because for some reason the person who made it considers "Trade Cards" to be a noteworthy feature, but it's enough to impress upon the point I want to make:

https://i.redd.it/iivwvbxh2rd21.jpg

To the point, Steam hasn't "killed Piracy". Nothing can. We still have Somali pirates when Blackhawks exist. What Steam did was compete with Piracy. With their feature set, they successfully competed against a platform where consumers can get their games for free. Anecdotally, I've heard countless stories of people buying games during Steam Sales they would've never considered buying otherwise. Further stories of Steam Libraries full of bought games that the owner will never play. That's money and game exposure to devs they would've never had otherwise.

Now back to Epic Game Store... Steam has been directly competing with Discord for years now, because Discord is currently the #1 Gaming Social Platform, and Valve wants to have the best Game Platform period. Steam has an effective monopoly, but they're still innovating far and above what their competition is doing. But because EGS is a barebones game store, because they couldn't attract Devs with their 18% cut alone, because they had to resort to exclusivity deals, Steam has largely ignored them. If Epic had a killer store, offered rich features, played it fair, and brought in Devs through merit, you're god damn right you'd see Steam changing to adopt what works. But Epic f**ked this up. That adoption could've been a lower cut.

Truth is no amount of "Steam doesn't need 30%" arguing on forums will change anything. Competition will. Mass social protest can also change that, but you'd have a hard time convincing a large enough body of Steam consumers that "30% is really that bad" when you can't even convince most of this thread that. Competition is the easiest way to drive this kind of change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 563 (Unique: 321)
valve sure hasn't been doing much to compete with discord though.

if they really wanted to play along, they would evolve the ancient friend system to include voip essentials (channels, admins, etc)

they're more like symbiotic/parasitic, discord needs steam & epic store

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #93 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 341 (Unique: 284)
I don't think your average consumer should care what cut steam takes. If games are cheaper on another market place then by them there. Competition will sort this out. It is a weird thing for people who aren't publishers to get mad about.

Nobody is picketing Target because they make a 50% margin on socks and toiletries. Epic Games will succeed or fail based on whether people care enough about that 15% to use their platform, and also whether a 15% cut is enough revenue to remain profitable. Making products cheaper is the one thing capitalism is usually pretty good at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 563 (Unique: 321)
oh i'm sure there's someone somewhere protesting target for exactly that. That's the age we live in. It's all the rage to express outrage and participate in "activism" such as, but not limited to protesting Target's socks profits, while sipping a $8 coffee, and tapping on a $1000 phone

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #95 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 25)
As a producer of games, 30% is fine. Its combining marketing costs, delivery, taxation, sales, storage of the game, etc. Putting those together for anything but a company like ubisoft/blizzard/epic and handling it in house will easily exceed that 30%. That doesn't even count the quantity of sales that would be generated to people who would have never of heard of the game.

Don't forget, these companies do all that for you. Thats a ton of employees, time and money that no longer is coming out of the company budget without knowing how much money may or may not come in.

I don't really care for their policy that big games get a discount after high number of sales and small studios need the discount more, but thats how they keep the big studios interested. So, i cant blame them either.
post #96 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:48 PM
Politically incorrect

Rep: 156 (Unique: 89)
GOG takes 12%. IGN's 'gaming journalism' is erroneous once again.

That article made me remember why I stopped reading IGN. Tabloid narrative driven garbage.

post #97 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 34 (Unique: 30)
Quote: Originally Posted by lombardsoup View Post
GOG takes 12%. IGN's 'gaming journalism' is erroneous once again.

That article made me remember why I stopped reading IGN. Tabloid narrative driven garbage.

I am so sick of correcting PPL on here. Your opinion,<---------------------------->IGN simply took real numbers and put them in your face. If you have an issue wit that, make in informed argument. Otherwise, your imput leads me to believe that you are freaking ********. How much effort does it take to check thr accuracy of this without being a random uninformed voice online? Because thats what you are. I am so sick of all your stupid uninformed comments. Hardly a single one of you will check your own thought process before spewing.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #98 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Before any more of you ********s shout out, EA/Orgin actually offers by far the best subscription model. Before you all go full retard, Id like to see some better numbers because not a single one of you has made any attempt to bnring math into this.

It's simple:

GAMEn/cost

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #99 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Short of a GAMEn/cost analysist, this thread is done with intelligent thought.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #100 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:39 AM
Politically incorrect

Rep: 156 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Before any more of you ********s shout out, EA/Orgin actually offers by far the best subscription model.
Straight up trolling now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in