[IGN] Report: Steam's 30% Cut Is Actually the Industry Standard - Page 11 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[IGN] Report: Steam's 30% Cut Is Actually the Industry Standard

post #101 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:46 AM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
lol

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Literally the #1 thing that everything in this thread is forgetting is that brick and mortar stores still have enough power to require software makers to charge the same price online as they would in-store. Seems like everyone forgot how B&M have threatened to stop carrying products if this didn't happen. They already know that charging $10 more for the same product would mean they wouldn't sell anything AND they would just incur shipping, stocking costs while wasting precious inventory and floor space.

So this is the #1 reason why Steam/devs charge the same.
post #103 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:28 AM
Legacy Member

Rep: 122 (Unique: 97)
Quote: Originally Posted by Bushido Br0wn View Post
Literally the #1 thing that everything in this thread is forgetting is that brick and mortar stores still have enough power to require software makers to charge the same price online as they would in-store. Seems like everyone forgot how B&M have threatened to stop carrying products if this didn't happen. They already know that charging $10 more for the same product would mean they wouldn't sell anything AND they would just incur shipping, stocking costs while wasting precious inventory and floor space.

So this is the #1 reason why Steam/devs charge the same.

Considering how the physical pc game retail virtually doesnt exist, this doesnt seem to be true at all.

You could of perhaps made this argument years ago, but I dont see its relevance in the modern market. BM stores do not have this kind of oversight on the market to dictate policy like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 01:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 175 (Unique: 111)
Not surprising to me.

The only thing that is surprising is that Steam and other digital stores have margins ANYWHERE near brick-and mortar stores.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲
post #105 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 01:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 175 (Unique: 111)
Quote: Originally Posted by Woundingchaney View Post
Considering how the physical pc game retail virtually doesnt exist, this doesnt seem to be true at all.

You could of perhaps made this argument years ago, but I dont see its relevance in the modern market. BM stores do not have this kind of oversight on the market to dictate policy like this.
Everything is so multi-plat now that they can threaten to no carry console versions if the PC version is cheaper on Steam or elsewhere.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲
post #106 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 03:36 PM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
there are 2-3 corp stores selling PC components in the US at this point, and most of them only have a hand full of stores, in a few states.

Best Buy may be the last entity in the US with a few new core components on the shelf, in every state.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.
post #107 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Legacy Member

Rep: 122 (Unique: 97)
Quote: Originally Posted by umeng2002 View Post
Everything is so multi-plat now that they can threaten to no carry console versions if the PC version is cheaper on Steam or elsewhere.
BM stores can't afford to not carry titles these days, particularly AAA console titles. Any foot traffic that a BM store can muster is important to their existence at this point and console games still have some value. Quite frankly is Sony, Nin, or Ms wanted to undercut physical retail they very much could, I simply can't imagine any organized backlash from BM stores. Honestly if BB didn't want to carry a title there is a Target or Walmart just a couple blocks away.

post #108 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 46)
This is why I'm a huge EPIC fan. For all gamers absolutely love Steam near monopolizing PC game sales, there's zero benefit to developers. EPIC on the other hand will allow struggling devs to keep 88% if they follow some ground rules.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epicstore-640x360.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	303928  

My alter ego is Evil Redneck Bob.
post #109 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 346 (Unique: 255)
Quote: Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
This is why I'm a huge EPIC fan. For all gamers absolutely love Steam near monopolizing PC game sales, there's zero benefit to developers. EPIC on the other hand will allow struggling devs to keep 88% if they follow some ground rules.

And steam doesnt charge for key generation and they dont take a 30% if the game isnt purchased through steam so "struggling devs" can easily get around the 30% steam fee too.
For all the complaints that Indie devs cant afford 30%, not only does key generation get around that but Valve makes exceptions from the 30% amount for smaller games as well
And for larger developers, Valve moves down to a 25% cut as soon as the game generates $10 million in revenue (from game sale, DLC, and micro transactions). If they manage to reach 50 million Valve only takes 20%.

Last edited by EniGma1987; 11-01-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #110 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
And steam doesnt charge for key generation and they dont take a 30% if the game isnt purchased through steam so "struggling devs" can easily get around the 30% steam fee too.
I don't understand why you placed struggling devs in quotation marks. I did use the phrase, so it's fair game to quote me but you're obviously implying some level of sarcasm. The lower fees make the difference between some games releasing and not releasing. Shenmue 3 comes to mind. From your comment, it strikes me the only way to avoid the 30% fee is to simply not release the game on Steam, or in any Brick & Mortar stores that take a 30% cut.

My alter ego is Evil Redneck Bob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in