[IGN] Report: Steam's 30% Cut Is Actually the Industry Standard - Page 12 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[IGN] Report: Steam's 30% Cut Is Actually the Industry Standard

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #111 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:34 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
EniGma1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,462
Rep: 346 (Unique: 255)
Quote: Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
I don't understand why you placed struggling devs in quotation marks. I did use the phrase, so it's fair game to quote me but you're obviously implying some level of sarcasm. The lower fees make the difference between some games releasing and not releasing. Shenmue 3 comes to mind. From your comment, it strikes me the only way to avoid the 30% fee is to simply not release the game on Steam, or in any Brick & Mortar stores that take a 30% cut.

They can release it on Steam for $100, generate keys, and sell the game on their own website or through whatever other storefront they want and Valve doesnt take 30% from any of the key sales.

EniGma1987 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:41 PM
u broke 666 rep :(
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 23,620
Rep: 683 (Unique: 363)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
And steam doesnt charge for key generation and they dont take a 30% if the game isnt purchased through steam so "struggling devs" can easily get around the 30% steam fee too.
For all the complaints that Indie devs cant afford 30%, not only does key generation get around that but Valve makes exceptions from the 30% amount for smaller games as well
And for larger developers, Valve moves down to a 25% cut as soon as the game generates $10 million in revenue (from game sale, DLC, and micro transactions). If they manage to reach 50 million Valve only takes 20%.
while yes genning your own keys gets around that, it doesn't get around not being hosted in a store seen by 10s of millions.

I'm curious what epic vs. steam active accounts #s are.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
skupples is online now  
post #113 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:48 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 3,260
Rep: 52 (Unique: 46)
Functionally speaking, what would the purchase experience look like if they genned their own keys? Would there be a game page in the Steam Store? Or are they just using Steam as a download server? If you're going to market the game yourself (to a much smaller audience) I'm thinking hosting for the installer is the least of your worries.

My alter ego is Evil Redneck Bob.
WhiteCrane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #114 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:50 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Shawnb99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In Van Down by the River
Posts: 1,535
Rep: 51 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
Functionally speaking, what would the purchase experience look like if they genned their own keys? Would there be a game page in the Steam Store? Or are they just using Steam as a download server? If you're going to market the game yourself (to a much smaller audience) I'm thinking hosting for the installer is the least of your worries.
Steam would throw a fit and they would be forced to stop selling keys outside the steam store or make it a separate version. Kinda like what happened to DCS. Used to offer Steam keys when bought through their site, Valve said no and they were forced to make all store purchases only have a key that works on the stand alone launcher.

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
Shawnb99 is online now  
post #115 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 01:19 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Bushido Br0wn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 15
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Woundingchaney View Post
Considering how the physical pc game retail virtually doesnt exist, this doesnt seem to be true at all.

You could of perhaps made this argument years ago, but I dont see its relevance in the modern market. BM stores do not have this kind of oversight on the market to dictate policy like this.
Go to any major retailer and they still dedicate floor space.

You're only thinking of PC, only the US market and only major cities that have internet speeds and data caps that allow downloading 80gb games. It's a wide world out there but even when thinking of the US you hit a roadblock. Are you going to poo on Target to sell your game $5 cheaper on Steam? Sure you'll sell better when talking about the major cities but what about the other 50% of the US that lives in rural areas? Some with the worst internet/caps around because net neutrality doesn't exist anymore. How do you get to them now? Retailers aren't going to carry your game, remember?

If retailers let that fly, console games will try it next.

For point of reference, please view most US product makers store pages. They try not to make a habit, cannibalizing their own profit margins and sticking it to their retailers by selling their product at a cheaper price directly to you.

Quote: Originally Posted by Woundingchaney
BM stores can't afford to not carry titles these days, particularly AAA console titles. Any foot traffic that a BM store can muster is important to their existence at this point and console games still have some value. Quite frankly is Sony, Nin, or Ms wanted to undercut physical retail they very much could, I simply can't imagine any organized backlash from BM stores. Honestly if BB didn't want to carry a title there is a Target or Walmart just a couple blocks away.
I think you seriously overestimate the importance of games to these stores. It's a small sliver of their total business. They have more floor space dedicated to towels than games. If they were undercut by Steam, it's likely that the total cost of purchasing, shipping and stocking the games simply wouldn't be profitable enough to bother.

If any one of the 3 could do it and get better profits out of it, why HAVENT they yet? Because it's a LOT harder than you think.

Last edited by Bushido Br0wn; 11-02-2019 at 01:39 AM.
Bushido Br0wn is offline  
post #116 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:15 AM
u broke 666 rep :(
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 23,620
Rep: 683 (Unique: 363)
implying that rural americans weren't already under obscene caps pre- death of Net Neutrality.

I can assure you, its just as bad as it ever was. I've spent the last 5-6 years working for companies that support large #s of remote employees. Most are in rural areas, and are on internet plans you would'a laughed at even in 1995.

I've often wondered the value in a service that assists older folks in adjusting their monthlies. Phone bills, power bills, cable bills, etc etc. Why do I say this? One of these ladies was paying $400 a month for a 10mbit congruent DSL line. You're telling me there isn't money to be made off of saving her ~$300 a month?

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
skupples is online now  
post #117 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:31 AM
Politically incorrect
 
lombardsoup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,686
Rep: 156 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
implying that rural americans weren't already under obscene caps pre- death of Net Neutrality.

I can assure you, its just as bad as it ever was. I've spent the last 5-6 years working for companies that support large #s of remote employees. Most are in rural areas, and are on internet plans you would'a laughed at even in 1995.

I've often wondered the value in a service that assists older folks in adjusting their monthlies. Phone bills, power bills, cable bills, etc etc. Why do I say this? One of these ladies was paying $400 a month for a 10mbit congruent DSL line. You're telling me there isn't money to be made off of saving her ~$300 a month?
That horse was been beaten to death years ago and lost handily at the ballot box. OCN living in the past...

lombardsoup is offline  
post #118 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 10:32 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Imouto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,176
Rep: 232 (Unique: 109)
Quote: Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
I don't understand why you placed struggling devs in quotation marks. I did use the phrase, so it's fair game to quote me but you're obviously implying some level of sarcasm. The lower fees make the difference between some games releasing and not releasing. Shenmue 3 comes to mind. From your comment, it strikes me the only way to avoid the 30% fee is to simply not release the game on Steam, or in any Brick & Mortar stores that take a 30% cut.
If making 20% more from the PC version when the bulk of sales will come from the PS4 at 30% cut is the difference between Shenmue III making it or not we can agree that it is likely to bomb in the most legendary fashion like the previous two installments did.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
Imouto is offline  
post #119 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 04:37 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
HanSomPa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 2,023
Rep: 93 (Unique: 61)
Quote: Originally Posted by lombardsoup View Post
That horse was been beaten to death years ago and lost handily at the ballot box. OCN living in the past...
Uh huh. The idea that 400$ a month for Internet is commonplace in rural areas is a hyperbole. Another question worth asking is just how many rural Americans even want or need access to games... or high speed Internet. Or what is defined as "rural". For companies who are calculating on the margin, going after rural customers is simply not worth it.

Han.688
ItsTimeToDie.120
HanSomPa is offline  
post #120 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:31 PM
Legacy Member
 
Woundingchaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,238
Rep: 122 (Unique: 97)
Quote: Originally Posted by Bushido Br0wn View Post
Go to any major retailer and they still dedicate floor space.

You're only thinking of PC, only the US market and only major cities that have internet speeds and data caps that allow downloading 80gb games. It's a wide world out there but even when thinking of the US you hit a roadblock. Are you going to poo on Target to sell your game $5 cheaper on Steam? Sure you'll sell better when talking about the major cities but what about the other 50% of the US that lives in rural areas? Some with the worst internet/caps around because net neutrality doesn't exist anymore. How do you get to them now? Retailers aren't going to carry your game, remember?

If retailers let that fly, console games will try it next.

For point of reference, please view most US product makers store pages. They try not to make a habit, cannibalizing their own profit margins and sticking it to their retailers by selling their product at a cheaper price directly to you.



I think you seriously overestimate the importance of games to these stores. It's a small sliver of their total business. They have more floor space dedicated to towels than games. If they were undercut by Steam, it's likely that the total cost of purchasing, shipping and stocking the games simply wouldn't be profitable enough to bother.

If any one of the 3 could do it and get better profits out of it, why HAVENT they yet? Because it's a LOT harder than you think.
Games don't come in different sizes, shapes and colors like towels or other items. Additionally games don't require much shelf space comparably and only newer titles move in large volume. Stores don't dedicate much space to games because there is no reason to. If anything the death of gamestop should speak volumes to the impact digital marketplaces are having and how retail clearly isn't calling the shots.

Online sales and retail sales have virtually never coincided, usually they only do when the cost of a title is cut not for temporary sales. Console game stores and virtual marketplaces have literally just become mainstream. In the coming years I can easily see one of the big 3 undercutting retail. Literally everything the industry is doing right now is undercutting the retail sector from marketplaces to streaming platforms. The console market is going to change in a matter of years. There is no reason to offer a digital good for 5 usd less than a retail good, when the value of a game has been established for over a decade now. There however is a huge incentive to eliminate the need for a physical retail distribution and all of the manufacturers are steadily moving towards this reality.

The notion that there would or could be some organized resistance from retail at this time just doesn't seem realistic. Profit margins on games and hardware have always been thin for retail but they were always carried, because retailer know they have a dedicated market. If manufacturers wanted to undercut retail they easily could, even if one BM store attempted to boycott them they of course could try, but they would just be sending the purchase to their competitor. Even if a consumer couldn't find something on a store shelf, the entire world is familiar with online ordering regardless of where they live. Right now foot traffic is extremely important to retail and I don't buy into this notion that retail stores have anywhere near the leverage over manufacturers like they did in the past, particularly in the modern digital world.

The part I don't understand in your argument is that the manufacturers are clearly undercutting retail right now. New games can be played on their services at launch for a monthly fee a fraction of the cost of buying new. By your argument retail should be revolting right now, but there isn't a change at all because retail for one isn't organized and for two because they simply don't have the clout in the gaming market right now. Retail stores are more than aware of this reality. Its not necessarily a matter of manufacturers shifted their IPs to another digital retail, its a matter of manufacturers owning their own retail channel and for that they very much would undercut existing BM stores.




Last edited by Woundingchaney; 11-03-2019 at 01:46 AM.
Woundingchaney is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off