[Phoronix] DXVK Lead Developer Philip Rebohle Has Begun Contributing More To Wine's VKD3D - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Phoronix] DXVK Lead Developer Philip Rebohle Has Begun Contributing More To Wine's VKD3D

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 178 (Unique: 123)
Source: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...More-For-VKD3D

Quote:
With DXVK in remarkably good standing for translating Direct3D 10/11 to Vulkan for use by Steam Play (Proton) and Wine, Philip Rebohle who started that project is now contributing more to Wine's VKD3D initiative for mapping Direct3D 12 on Vulkan.

As DXVK is working out damn well these days for D3D10/D3D11 games and potentially due to whatever funding engagement he has with Valve, Philip Rebohle is now focusing some attention on VKD3D for doing the same to this Direct3D 12 over Vulkan layer. Just over the past week has been a big uptick in activity from Rebohle. Of his commits, there have been 17 commits by him to VKD3D but 10 of them were just in the past week.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1218mV
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 22 (Unique: 20)
My first Arch install, from scratch mind you, alone, took me about 2 days? And, following my first successful MATE login, another 4-5 days to sort things out.
It now takes me less than a day and i'm still a novice.

When we first heard news of what win10 would be like (no real Win7 Pro equivalent, a downgrade for each tier and no way [as always, granted] to legitimately own Enterprise) and whom it was designed for (more and more "mainstreamed", more and more idiot-proof to the detriment of the discerning user), i knew the day was coming.
Am now prepared

While i don't give a damn about games anymore, i know many do, their age notwithstanding. So the more of these juveniles (of all real ages) that Linux can attract, the better. Paradoxically, it's this breed that drives things forward. O tempora o mores, but even so.

Pride, honour and purity.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 03:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 563 (Unique: 321)
yep, the youngins are definitely, and always have been, a major influence on many colors of the tech rainbow.

just look what they did with this little niche. We were dead not more than 10 years ago, remember?! They wrote about our death often.

now its a mainstream MTX aRGB nightmare, and comicon'likes have sprung up world wide. It's an indefinitely traveling for profit business, like Ultra music festival.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:40 AM
Tetrapyloctomist

The issue is approach and mentality fostering, not the practices per se;

- games require less and less, if any at all, amount of thinking (and my condolences in advance to those even -thinking- about replying to say "no, they do!").

- games are more and more focusing on the ever increasing attention-deficit populace that's their target audience. We used to worry about the 9 seconds attention span gen and we're already down to less; in the span of a mere few years.

- games, made to a good extent by said same people they cater to, no longer seek or strive to differ, but instead follow well-defined norms. Lack of need for a manual says a lot more than most appear to think.

And i could go on.
We've always had "games".. we've always had entertainment. And we've always had forms of them that were base/baser, or lacking in quality, etc.; so nothing new one would think?
Wrong.
Because this latest plague of vidya gaemz!!111! has infected billions, regardless of their age/maturity, the planet over.
A matter of scale

Nonetheless, if this latest breed of humanoids (again, of all ages) can at the least do some good, as it has with the PC market growth? Or to bring us on topic, with a wider Linux adoption? Hey, all good by me!

Last edited by Aenra; 11-06-2019 at 09:45 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 171 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
The issue is approach and mentality fostering, not the practices per se;

- games require less and less, if any at all, amount of thinking (and my condolences in advance to those even -thinking- about replying to say "no, they do!").
This is true, but mostly because devs try to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible. A dimwit's money spends just as well as a MENSA members.

Quote:
- games are more and more focusing on the ever increasing attention-deficit populace that's their target audience. We used to worry about the 9 seconds attention span gen and we're already down to less; in the span of a mere few years.
I always hear this argument but I fail to see any credible evidence for it. In fact I see the opposite. Long format media like podcasts and such have been rapidly taking off and the king of TV steaming, Netflix, releases entire seasons all together so people can binge watch the whole thing. The whole "ever shorter attention span" is what old media thought the populace was trending toward, and that's why they are on shaky legs now since the opposite appears to be true

Quote:
- games, made to a good extent by said same people they cater to, no longer seek or strive to differ, but instead follow well-defined norms. Lack of need for a manual says a lot more than most appear to think.
Manuals have been replaced by tutorials which are far better at quickly teaching the mechanics of anything. I mean, if that weren't true, schools would just hand you a stack of books and send you on your way.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 04:02 PM
Tetrapyloctomist

Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
I always hear this argument but I fail to see any credible evidence for it. In fact I see the opposite
I wish i shared your viewpoint, but let us say i've been in an academic environment for.. a significant amount of time. I can assure you many colleagues would beg to differ.
We've been around long enough to know better ^^

Regardless, i do also have to admit that as with all trends, this too may pass; or at the least evolve into something a touch less dangerous. Until then however, i stick to what we experience, daily, i stick to the scale. A scale of epic, unprecedented proportions.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:57 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 796 (Unique: 452)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
I wish i shared your viewpoint, but let us say i've been in an academic environment for.. a significant amount of time. I can assure you many colleagues would beg to differ.
We've been around long enough to know better ^^

Regardless, i do also have to admit that as with all trends, this too may pass; or at the least evolve into something a touch less dangerous. Until then however, i stick to what we experience, daily, i stick to the scale. A scale of epic, unprecedented proportions.
it appears you and your colleges need more better information:

Busting the attention span myth
Quote:
And there are statistics too. They say that the average attention span is down from 12 seconds in the year 2000 to eight seconds now. That is less than the nine-second attention span of your average goldfish.

You might have seen those stats in Time magazine, the Telegraph, the Guardian, USA Today, the New York Times or the National Post. Maybe you heard a Harvard academic citing them on US radio. Or perhaps you read the management book Brief.

But if you pay a bit more attention to where the statistics come from, the picture is much less clear.

All those references lead back to a 2015 report by the Consumer Insights team of Microsoft Canada, who surveyed 2,000 Canadians and also studied the brain activity of 112 people as they carried out various tasks.

However, the figure that everyone picked up on - about our shrinking attention spans - did not actually come from Microsoft's research. It appears in the report, but with a citation for another source called Statistic Brain.
i've been in academia long enough to never trust anything at first glance.

E: have a latest report

2018_State_of_Attention_Report_US.pdf

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 11-06-2019 at 11:06 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:31 AM
mfw

Rep: 402 (Unique: 207)
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
it appears you and your colleges need more better information:

Busting the attention span myth

i've been in academia long enough to never trust anything at first glance.

E: have a latest report

Attachment 304910
Please, be gentle with senior citizens. They already have their lawns to get worked up about.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 02:00 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 796 (Unique: 452)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Please, be gentle with senior citizens. They already have their lawns to get worked up about.
i'm old enough to yell at clouds myself young man. though us genXers are less stubborn than boomers.

and so far the truce w/millenmials is holding up rather well . .

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:01 AM
mfw

Rep: 402 (Unique: 207)
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
and so far the truce w/millenmials is holding up rather well . .
Yeah, you're alright.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in