[ars] Android "Strandhogg" Vulnerability being Exploited - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[ars] Android "Strandhogg" Vulnerability being Exploited

post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 08:33 PM
News Fiend

Quote: Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post
False equivalence. Building a PC yourself can save you hundreds of dollars and overclocking doesn't really void the warranty any more. Hasn't done for a very long time now. I think 2010 for AMD and 2012 for Intel/nVidia. Rooting an Android phone does void the warranty and it doesn't save you any money.
Was mostly a joke but rooting the device doesn't really void your warranty any more than overclocking (AMD is void with PBO and Intel requires an upcharge btw).

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ryan92084; 12-11-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 06:34 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 123 (Unique: 105)
Yes, the first thing I want to do when I buy a nearly $1000 phone is to spend several hours rooting it and customizing it, while voiding warranty, to make it as usable as and slightly more secure as iOS is out the box.
If you're here oc'ing, building your own rigs or a Linux distro user you're already used to the concept of "warranty" not being a thing, being your own tech support, your own sysadmin, your own back up and seat of the pants'ing everything. There's a few OEM's that actually don't void warranty from rooting/mods, mostly because unlike the other companies they realize it's dumb and nonsensical since rooting/mods don't really take away from the integrity of the physical hardware that they produce and thus warranty, you'd be hard pressed to permanently damage a phone even by OC'ing it.

Android phone does void the warranty and it doesn't save you any money.
It definitely can. Your average stock OEM Android phone becomes a slow sack of crap after a year or so due to all the bloatware updates and malware/spyware running by default on them that also typically increases on every update. If you never tinkered around with phones you have no idea how much crap is running behind the scenes on stock OEM phones. Running custom roms you have 3-4 year old hardware that's running basically pure Android blazing fast with the latest security patches pretty much the next day after they come out, even the best OEM's (besides Google on their own Pixel series) are usually a couple months behind on security patches.

Most people update their phones every year or two because they get all slow and bogged down thinking the solution is they need to update to the latest $1000 flagship again. Three to four year old phone hardware still has more than enough muscle if it isn't bogged down with crappy OEM flavors of Android. Having the latest security patches all the time isn't what I would call "slightly more secure".

For the record I don't mod my phone because I enjoy it, I would rather be doing a bunch of other things but I do it because I came to the logical conclusion that it was basically the only way to achieve security/privacy/control in the mobile world. Aside from running a dumb phone (even those aren't secure for other reasons) it's either Android or iOS. Both are bad, Android moreso than iOS by a long shot when stock but when modded you can regain basically 99% privacy/security. Until the dedicated Linux phones take off, basically modded Android users are really the only users that have any real security on mobile.

Quote: Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post
Let alone the fact that you can enjoy different facets of life in different ways. I will modify my cars and mess with my computers, but I don't want to deal with messing with my phone.
I mod everything I touch, since forever. I was into cars for a while, did all that, I mod almost every single electronic device, crap I even "modded" myself when I was into weight lifting if you get my drift on that one. Nothing stays stock, not even myself.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
Keeping anything accessible but chump change on any system not at least air gapped is flirting with disaster.
You might look at a statement like this and laugh but if you look at how people with serious skin in the game operate, it's ironically true. Anybody that's big into crypto is running air gaped dedicated hardware wallets of sorts, running Linux only, running multiple dedicated privacy oriented Linux distros inside multiple and/or on top of multiple VM's on dedicated air gaped hardware funneled through a dedicated TOR VM or bare metal "host/gateway" machine.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xJumper; 12-12-2019 at 06:52 PM.
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 06:47 PM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 647 (Unique: 349)
only thing i'd poke at is most folks replace phones due to battery decay. At least, this is how it goes with our mobile devices. The main complaint we get that triggers hardware replacement is battery death. this is in apple land though, so you can't do much about them slowly bricking via software based planned obsolescence.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in