[zdnet] Vivaldi to change user-agent string to Chrome due to unfair blocking - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[zdnet] Vivaldi to change user-agent string to Chrome due to unfair blocking

post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 122 (Unique: 60)
I loved Bitcoin miners during the time it was next to impossible to find reasonably priced (e.g., at msrp) psus, gpus, etc. Now that popular toilets outlets like B&H, Newegg, and Amazon are jacking up prices of the latest and greatest under the guise of supply and demand, I love them all even more (must be a Pavlov thing).

I love data miners even more:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-12-21_12-12-09.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	313240

I feel influenced

Playin' the lead roll in a dwerg tossing contest...
Muffler Bearings
(24 items)
CPU
SL Intel® Core™ i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
Motherboard
EVGA X299 DARK
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC
GPU
(2 ea) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q2-64GTZ
Hard Drive
(2ea) Intel Optane 900P (480GB)
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
(1ea) Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Custom, 8020x3060 and x2020
Operating System
Win 10 Pro/Ubuntu
Monitor
NEC PA272W-BK-SV
Monitor
Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Ergodox EZ with Kailh Thick Gold (Bronze) and Copper switches
Audio
Bottlehead Mainline Amp
Audio
RME ADI-2 Pro FS 2-in/4-out AD/DA Converter
Audio
FOCAL Clear Professional Headphones
Audio
Mr. Schpeakers ETHER C Flow 1.1 Headphones
Other
Protectli Firewall Micro Appliance With 6x Intel Gigabit Ports, Intel i5 7200U, AES-NI
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 10:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 112 (Unique: 70)
Quote: Originally Posted by 1Kaz View Post
Waterfox doesn't work for the local education website. If they would just let it run instead of blocking it, things would work fine. I'm against websites blocking specific browsers. Chrome seems to be using their dominate position to shove others out of the market.
What's amazing to me is how quickly people forgot how Chrome even introduced Chrome. When Chrome first came out, people were outraged at the marketing tactics they were using. They were absolutely shoving it down everyone's throats. You couldn't go onto a single Google-owned site without half the page being taken up by scary warnings that made it seem like you wouldn't be able to access G-Mail or go on YouTube without Chrome. At one point, everything from Adobe Flash to Open-Source freeware utilities were coming packaged with a Chrome installer. I would help non-tech people with their computers, ask them when they installed chrome, and the response was always "I don't know, it just showed up one day so I started using it!".

It was absolutely disgusting and frightening how aggressively Google pushed Chrome onto almost everyone. Then after a few years of that, once Chrome was the dominant browser, most people seemed to forget how Chrome even go into that position in the first place. It baffles me that Microsoft got shat-on for bundling IE with Windows, but Google gets a free-pass to do the same thing because "they're the good guys with the funny sounding name!"
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
771on775 user,Complainer

Rep: 103 (Unique: 63)
Quote: Originally Posted by AmericanLoco View Post
What's amazing to me is how quickly people forgot how Chrome even introduced Chrome. When Chrome first came out, people were outraged at the marketing tactics they were using. They were absolutely shoving it down everyone's throats. You couldn't go onto a single Google-owned site without half the page being taken up by scary warnings that made it seem like you wouldn't be able to access G-Mail or go on YouTube without Chrome. At one point, everything from Adobe Flash to Open-Source freeware utilities were coming packaged with a Chrome installer. I would help non-tech people with their computers, ask them when they installed chrome, and the response was always "I don't know, it just showed up one day so I started using it!".

It was absolutely disgusting and frightening how aggressively Google pushed Chrome onto almost everyone. Then after a few years of that, once Chrome was the dominant browser, most people seemed to forget how Chrome even go into that position in the first place. It baffles me that Microsoft got shat-on for bundling IE with Windows, but Google gets a free-pass to do the same thing because "they're the good guys with the funny sounding name!"

It's Googles websites that are treating other Chromium based browsers the same way STILL. Go to Google .com and the search bar text are out of alignment while google docs tells you you need to update to the latest ver.of chrome even though BOTH browsers are based on the SAME ver of Chromium. Microsoft DID get shafted over internet explorer to open the door for other browsers,now the predominant company of the "other browser" is giving everyone else the shaft.Ironic to say the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 11:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 455 (Unique: 387)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
so the domain and server space is free or are the users responsible for that too?

not disagreeing, I block ads everywhere. Just playing devil's advocate.
I could possibly make allowances for the original owner who expended some time and effort building a site from nothing, once they've cashed out and sold it on as an add spamming for profit concern (and they've all either cashed out or given up) then I don't owe anything.

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 12:19 PM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 284 (Unique: 224)
Well if a website forces me to use a different browser or disable my adblocker. Their content isn't worth my time. I just won't use their site.

Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 01:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 231 (Unique: 109)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
so the domain and server space is free or are the users responsible for that too?

not disagreeing, I block ads everywhere. Just playing devil's advocate.
When I was in an anime fansub (a pretty successful one at that) the ~10 members paid for the hosting, seeding box/Perfect Dark server and a XDCC bot on our IRC channel. We even paid from our own pockets rare BDs and DVDs that we couldn't find in PD (you were worth it Princess Tutu). It was something like 10 € each a month.

We invested endless hours of translating, editing, QCing, encoding and managing the site and then we paid for all the above because that was what we liked.

So no. I don't think oc.net being a forum should have neither ads or a professional staff.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 05:08 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1282 (Unique: 691)
Quote: Originally Posted by ozlay View Post
Well if a website forces me to use a different browser or disable my adblocker. Their content isn't worth my time. I just won't use their site.

what website forces you to use a certain browser? I know some like the refresh rate test tells you that IE doesn't support some features and to use Firefox or a Chromium browser but I can't remember the last time a website blocked access because of my browser.

regardless there are extensions to get around the adblock "traps" (Anti-Adblock) and there are extensions to make your browser report being another browser (User-Agent Switcher) and with some fiddling you can have them set to auto-enable via refresh when needed while otherwise being disabled.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Audio
Klipsch PowerGate + Schiit Hel
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Dierya DK63-BT 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603 Wireless
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 05:13 PM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱

Rep: 163 (Unique: 127)
Quote: Originally Posted by ExoticallyPure View Post
Stopping tracking is one thing, but blocking website ads is like stopping them from breathing. If you visit websites with adblockers (not privacy blockers), you are verifiably harming the websites you frequent and claim to enjoy.

Harming websites is my favorite pastime then

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀

post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 06:16 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 47 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by ExoticallyPure View Post
Stopping tracking is one thing, but blocking website ads is like stopping them from breathing. If you visit websites with adblockers (not privacy blockers), you are verifiably harming the websites you frequent and claim to enjoy.
This is a childish opinion. Adblock prevents about as many viruses as any anti virus program will. Websites take ads way too far, and they have other ways to make money than simply a bunch of banner ads all over. There's lots of different ways to advertise online that adblock would have nothing to do with.

Adblock is the answer to over bearing and intrusive ads online. Everyone should use it.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 06:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 55)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
I ad block everything at first. If I tend to visit a site often, I will usually try and disable ad block on that website and if the ads aren't too invasive and in your face, will leave it off. The moment I get a pop-up ad, that site is dead to me anyway so I don't care if it can breath or not.

Other sites that I know are data mining me like Youtube for example, gets ad blocked permanently as well. And before you get all angsty about "but the content creators cut!", well that's why things like patreon exist along with sponsors and ads within the video themselves which the content creators get all the proceeds from, not just a small fraction.

Same.

Steam : Toology86
Battle net : Toology
Origin : ToologySchism

Doom 3 mod guide : https://www.overclock.net/forum/78-pc...-graphics.html
The Beast
(16 items)
CPU
i7 5960X 4.4Ghz
Motherboard
Asrock Extreme4 x99
GPU
EVGA SC 1080 Ti
GPU
EVGA SC Titan X ( PhysX )
RAM
16 GB DDR4
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 840 480gb, Intel 730 480gb and 2TB WD Black
Optical Drive
Bluray 12x 3D
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200i
Cooling
NH-D15
Case
Custom
Operating System
Windows 7 64 bit
Monitor
Epson 3D 6030D THX Front projector 140"
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
G600
Mouse
SteelSeries
Audio
Custom Speakers
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in