[ExtremeTech] Reminder: Windows 7 Support Ends Tuesday, Jan. 14 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[ExtremeTech] Reminder: Windows 7 Support Ends Tuesday, Jan. 14

post #11 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
If you are still on windows 7 or 8, you can upgrade to 10 for free even if you never have used windows 10 before. Any legit windows 7 key will work with a windows 10 installer and activate. The same should be true for windows 8. Microsoft never really stopped allowing free upgrades to windows 10, and they've even done things to make it easier than it was at first.
Just to make a note about this, if you upgrade to Windows 10 this way, you'll be given a digital license that is tied to your motherboard. Swapping your PC's mobo will invalidate your Windows 10, and there's no way Microsoft can transfer it over to your new mobo with this kind of license.

All of which is honestly no big deal when you can simply buy Win 10 off eBay for less than $5, but...

Everything I own or have used extensively in an alphabetical list. Ask me anything! ^-^
CPU
Ryzen 1600
Motherboard
ASRock AB350
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1070
RAM
G-Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500BQ
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Rosewill Viper Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer GN246HL
Keyboard
Corsair K65
Mouse
Too many
Mousepad
Too many
Audio
SHP9500
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:47 PM
Gamer

Rep: 77 (Unique: 67)
Ok Boomer.

Windows 10 is in a whole different bracket when it comes to computer repair. Those of us who don't wear a tin foil hat every time we browse the internet are able to appreciate the benefits of a more modern more capable and more secure operating system.
I mean you're being kind of a dick about it, but I agree. I disliked Windows 10 at first but grew to love it, the privacy concerns I once had are irrelevant now considering everything and everyone is tracking your every digital move anyways. It's free $$ for these companies, they get our data to sell. It's that simple. I don't like this, but using Linux or OSX over Windows will not change this.

EDIT: We the people lost the war for our privacy a long time ago.

swah
AMD 2019
(6 items)
CPU
ryzen 3600
Motherboard
x570 Phantom Gaming 4
GPU
5700XT
RAM
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
Hard Drive
m.2 512GB
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by paulerxx; 01-13-2020 at 03:52 PM.
post #13 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 145 (Unique: 99)
Ok Boomer.

Windows 10 is in a whole different bracket when it comes to computer repair. Those of us who don't wear a tin foil hat every time we browse the internet are able to appreciate the benefits of a more modern more capable and more secure operating system.
Ok manchild.

Epic meme and you are so elegant for NOT caring as much about privacy as others. Man you're the man. Congratulations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:22 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 186 (Unique: 129)
Ok Boomer.

Windows OS repair has been simple since Hiren’s BootCD PE and even easier thanks to Windows 7 adding DISM commands. I haven't had to worry about Windows OS repairs for 6 years now. I'm sure the so called technicians now adays are abusing the "Refresh" option that was added in Windows 8. The biggest change in security was the introduction of secure boot which was officially supported in Windows 8.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz w/ .975v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 06:20 PM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 658 (Unique: 351)
Quote: Originally Posted by girugamesh View Post
Windows 7 was the last decent version of Windows as we knew it. It was clearly steering off to a different direction with 8 and 10 was the final nail. 10 Enterprise and LTSC are less bad, but not much. At least it's not literal adware and is slightly less of a spyware.

The PC will never die, but let's face it, it's not the '00s anymore. The "Consumer PC" is kind of dying. The home PC is an appliance like a washing machine now. Power users at home and gamers are an exception, but the average person now will only use a PC at work, of if they have to work on something at home. People are glued to their phones now. Even tablets lost much of their appeal now that 6" screens and larger are normal. They chat on their phones, they watch YouTube on it, waste hours on social networks and even watch series and movies on the damn thing.

Windows will only get worse from here on out. Desktop PCs will get more expensive eventually, since demand is lowering and they are only replaced when they die, they will become a sort of "home workstation". Windows might move to a monthly payment model, or not, it would be quite annoying for average folks, that might push them towards alternatives like Chromebooks and Macs (in the first world).

There will still be Linux though. The Desktop PC might become a nerd hobby again.
its not a hidden agenda, it's quite clear & out in the open.

as to random peripherals. From what I see in the trenches, people will email on phone/tablet, but will willingly retire their tablets for small transformers with obscene battery life via intel i3s. We hand these out like candy at work, n people always end up being identical units for their kids, etc.

still, you aren't going to see an OS go monthly, at least, you won't see that as the soul option. It'll be like as it is now. you can pay MS monthly for their entire suite of products, which includes, but is not limited to an operating system license.

as to the doom and gloom. Yes I know, PC gaming has been dying for as long as I can remember now, n i'm only 32. Yet some how more people than ever are participating in the activity. It's even become a father/son pastime.

form factors, pieces, parts, and software change, but what we do, and how we interface doesn't really change all that often. It'll be at least 3-4 more console generations before PC gaming and Console gaming truly merge into one ecosystem. We're almost there, now that MS is pushing all exclusives to PC via powershell porting. Sony will eventually jump on this train too, they'll just lock us into their garbage launcher like everyone else.

aside from that, we'll be wearing VR headsets, using smaller units, but the best experience (unless you live next to the data center with a direct line) will be physical in-home solutions.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #16 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 47 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Windows OS repair has been simple since Hiren’s BootCD PE and even easier thanks to Windows 7 adding DISM commands. I haven't had to worry about Windows OS repairs for 6 years now. I'm sure the so called technicians now adays are abusing the "Refresh" option that was added in Windows 8. The biggest change in security was the introduction of secure boot which was officially supported in Windows 8.
The fact that you even mention Hirens is a joke. If you have to try that hard to fix a computer, you're not good at it in the first place.

I'm never going to miss the days of hunting down every driver windows update misses, worrying about anti virus, and trying to read faded product keys.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 06:30 PM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 658 (Unique: 351)
refresh? trash.

just redeploy if you think its that hosed. clean every time, and fast as hell. Specially if you take the time to setup MDT.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #18 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:58 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 186 (Unique: 129)
The fact that you even mention Hirens is a joke. If you have to try that hard to fix a computer, you're not good at it in the first place.

I'm never going to miss the days of hunting down every driver windows update misses, worrying about anti virus, and trying to read faded product keys.
It sounds to me it's much easier to repair Windows now adays. If that's all you've done to fix a computer than that's a joke.

I used Hiren's to recover files from shadow copies and disable unsigned drivers to fix boot issues and remove ransomware/root kits or fix broken files after using Norton Ghost. Once getting it up and running I would run a sfc scan and read the log to see what needs to be fixed using SubInAcl. When someone wanted their computer fixed the point was to get it back to them how it was before it stopped working not factory.

When they did want it restored to factory instead of installing windows using a clean ISO I would use diskpart to recreate the partition table using the manufacturer's diskpart text script or create it manually. Followed by reimagining it with imagex using the image file.

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
refresh? trash.

just redeploy if you think its that hosed. clean every time, and fast as hell. Specially if you take the time to setup MDT.
All of our networked Windows machines are setup using Deep Freeze.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz w/ .975v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 01-13-2020 at 08:10 PM.
post #19 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 231 (Unique: 109)
Ok Boomer.

Why don't you switch to Linux then?

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #20 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:35 PM
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :

Rep: 157 (Unique: 113)
It will be interesting to see which route most windows 7 swearers will go with, be it linux or windows 10.

Vehicular: '10 Honda Fit lmao
mech keebs | `uname` club | `uname` gamer | RPi club | dd-wrt club -> Graduated to pfsense club
el rig
(33 items)
el portable
(17 items)
CPU
[AMD] Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard
[Biostar] X370GT3
GPU
[Gigabyte] GTX 1080 windforce oc
RAM
[G.Skill] Ripjaws Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
[Samsung] 960 evo m.2 250GB
Hard Drive
[Mushkin] eco2 512GB SSD
Hard Drive
[Mushkin] enhanced reactor 500GB SSD
Power Supply
[Cougar] CMX 1000
Cooling
[Corsairl] h100i v2
Cooling
[Noctua] nf-S12a pwm 120mm fan x 5
Case
[Fractal Design] Define C mini
Operating System
[M$] Winblows 10 pro fortified and telemetry free
Monitor
[AOC] i2367f 23" IPS
Monitor
[AOC] i2367f 23" IPS
Monitor
[Dell] e2311h
Keyboard
[Massdrop] Idobo xd75 w/ Gat greens & w/ GMK Laser
Mouse
[Logitech] g900 chaos spectrum
Mouse
[novelkeys.xyz] Laser extended deskpad
Audio
[Onkyo] TX-SR373 receiver
Audio
[KLH] Center and rear speakers
Audio
[Realistic] MC-1000 front speakers
Audio
[Insignia] Rocketboost subwoofer
Audio
[Sennheiser] massdrop hd 6xx
Audio
[Hifiman] massdrop he4xx
Audio
[Audio-Technical] ath-anc7b
Audio
[Zalman] clip mic
Audio
[Sunjet] Condensor Mic
Other
[Orico] USB 3.0 HDD dock bay
Other
[Keycool] KC21 keypad w/ Gateron greens
Other
[Orico] 7-port powered USB 3.0 Hub
Other
[Rosewill] 10-port powered USB 2.0 Hub
Other
[Belkin] 7-port powered USB 2.0 Hub
Other
[Phanteks] Cable extensions white
CPU
[Intel] i5 8250U
Motherboard
[Dell] xps 13 9360 or some other
GPU
[Intel] UHD 620
RAM
[OEM] 8GB DDR3 1866
Hard Drive
[Adata] Premier SP550 240GB SATA III M.2 SSD
Optical Drive
[Asus] slim external DVD RW
Cooling
stock
Case
[Dell] xps 13 9360 shell
Operating System
Xubuntu w/ i3 x86_64
Monitor
[Dell] 13.3" 1080p monitor
Keyboard
[Dell] integrated
Mouse
[Dell] touchpad
Audio
integrated
Other
[Vortex] Poker II keyboard w/ MX Blacks
Other
[logitech] g303 daedalus apex mouse
Other
[WASD] v2 TKL w/ MX Clears (for work)
Other
[Dell] OEM optical mouse (for work)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in