[ExtremeTech] Reminder: Windows 7 Support Ends Tuesday, Jan. 14 - Page 20 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ExtremeTech] Reminder: Windows 7 Support Ends Tuesday, Jan. 14

post #191 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:10 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
I appreciate the info. yeah, i was on the newest revision.

it reminds me of the pre-boot OS available in old P67 MSI boards.

pushing Solus now. Suppose i'll follow up in the right place if need be. toes wet, now time to jump in.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:19 PM
Official Luddite of OCN

Rep: 422 (Unique: 218)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
been playing with ubuntu on 5th gen lenovo with 8gb... definitely basic user friendly, but i'm not impressed with how laggy it feels. I expected it to be quicker than win10.
Lubuntu is where I go to for an extremely basic, yet up to date and user friendly OS. An old 32bit Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) laptop I have paired with an cheap SSD rivals modern (cheaper) SSD based W10 laptops in boot times and responsiveness while using a quarter of the resources. 2gb on Lubuntu feels like 8gb in comparison to Win10 and the cpu is able to stretch it's legs more for general tasks. I've got quite a few older machines that have been revived by it performance wise.

Something to tinker around with at least.

4k box
(23 items)
Oculus Box
(6 items)
CPU
4790k at 4.6ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
GPU
XFX Radeon VII 1906mhz core / 1200mhz HBM2 - Reference cooler
RAM
G.Skill Trident X 16gb DDR3 2400mhz (2x8gb)
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 128gb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256gb
Hard Drive
Crucial M500 480gb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 500gb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 2tb
Hard Drive
Hyundai Sapphire 120gb
Optical Drive
LG Blu Ray RW
Power Supply
NZXT Hale82 850w
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12S
Case
Rosewill Thor V2 (Black)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
ASUS PB287Q 28" 4k
Monitor
Acer S240SL 24" 1080p
Keyboard
Redragon K551 Mechanical (Mock Cherry Blue keys)
Mouse
Fenek Swift Gaming Mouse - PMW 3360 Sensor
Mousepad
Steelseries QCK+
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z
Audio
Logitech Z-623
Audio
Sennheiser HD 280 PRO
CPU
FX-9590
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
GPU
Sapphire Reference Vega 64
RAM
16gb DDR3 1866 Cas9
Cooling
AMD FX Watercooler (came with 9590)
Operating System
Win10 pro 64bit
CPU
Xeon E5450
CPU
Xeon E5450
Motherboard
Dell T7400 stock
GPU
XFX DD 7970Ghz Edition
RAM
32gb DDR2 667mhz Quad Channel (4gb x8)
Hard Drive
Hyundai Sapphire 240gb SSD
Power Supply
Dell T7400 stock 1000w PSU
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #193 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 255 (Unique: 203)
I appreciate the info. yeah, i was on the newest revision.

it reminds me of the pre-boot OS available in old P67 MSI boards.

pushing Solus now. Suppose i'll follow up in the right place if need be. toes wet, now time to jump in.
I just got the latest Solus installed in a VM and the basic programs I use all the time working on it in about 30 minutes. eopkg seems friendly enough, but I got weird gcc errors until I installed the whole system.devel group (which isn't all that big...)

Budgie as a desktop I'm torn about. There's things I like, and things that drive me to distraction. If you like the default apps and themeing, it's nicely integrated though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #194 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:58 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Quote: Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
I just got the latest Solus installed in a VM and the basic programs I use all the time working on it in about 30 minutes. eopkg seems friendly enough, but I got weird gcc errors until I installed the whole system.devel group (which isn't all that big...)

Budgie as a desktop I'm torn about. There's things I like, and things that drive me to distraction. If you like the default apps and themeing, it's nicely integrated though.
the only purpose for this laptop, outside of web, is sending working with my Shield in fastboot.

i'll most definitely branch out and explore once i've gotten my Fastboot issues resolved, and my shield running SNES titles.

post #195 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:07 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 196 (Unique: 132)
[the only purpose for this laptop, outside of web, is sending working with my Shield in fastboot.

i'll most definitely branch out and explore once i've gotten my Fastboot issues resolved, and my shield running SNES titles.
You could always just use a file explorer and sign into one of your cloud accounts to sideload the apk. That's what I do to install other apps on my shield.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #196 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 05:22 AM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 533 (Unique: 335)
Quote: Originally Posted by Serious_Don View Post
I'm not sure what easy tasks are over complicated for a typical user? I have elderly family members using Linux just fine.. you can spam next at the installer and boom you're on the desktop with a software center similar to what they've grown used to on their android phones and a browser that's no different than what you get with windows or mac... They don't even have to download and install a single device driver. .. accessing windows networks and sharing folders is pretty much out of the box.. Updates come with a graphical prompt.. What else does your average user need to do with the OS?

Naturally there are external devices with no linux drivers, lack of professional software, lack of game support, but that's not exactly the fault of Linux. To say linux is overly complicated is very odd to me though.

Perhaps these beliefs are rooted in the fact that we all have 25 years of daily experience with Windows and hours with Linux?
Your last line above pretty much hits the head on the head (or something like that; I'm not awake yet). One Youtuber, Joe Collins (who also has a good Linux forum), recently did a video about why it's so hard for what he calls Windows Power Users to switch over to Linux.
It boils down to the fact that Linux, even though some distros, such as Mint Cinnamon, may have a desktop that is similar to Win 7 (10, not so much), is completely different under the hood. Longtime Windows users with longtime experience under the hood of Windows have to unlearn what they learned about Windows and start pretty much at square one again when switching to Windows. You will not get comfortable with it overnight, although I've been using it only around a month and I'm comfortable enough with it now, the only only time I fire up my Windows machine is to grab some more data to move to the Linux machine (I still have a lot of data to wade through and sort).

One thing that made my transition much easier at the beginning was one of Joe's videos that gives simple, detailed, step by step instructions on how to install and setup Linux Mint for the first time.
I have numerous learning disabilities, chief of which is ADHD, so it was more difficult for me than it would be for most people to learn but my intense desire to not only leave Microsoft in my dust, but also give it the finger was enough motivation to get me through the transition. Btw, another good forum to get help with in Linux Mint is the Linux Mint Forums. Linux Mint Forums

Another set of problems that trip up Windows refugees is they have become too attached to certain programs. Sometimes, they have no choice because they are required to use specific programs for work. That's not the case for most people, though, especially home users, and those users will have to accept that their favorite Windows programs will not work in Linux. However, Linux has a plethora of good to excellent programs, most free, that will accomplish the same thing as most Windows programs. Often, you will have to adapt a completely different workflow to get the same results you got in Windows with it often being necessary to think outside the box (or even get a new box) to get there. As long as you approach any problems with an open mind and don't give up at the first snag (or few), saying Linux sucks, you will eventually get there.

So far, the only hardware I have not been able to get working reliably (or otherwise) in Linux is my Brother PT series Label Maker (I'm going to replace it with a better standalone label maker). My Samsung printer just worked right off the bat (Linux Mint 19.x came with the needed drivers already installed). Most older hardware will work just fine (my Linux Mint machine is on an older but unused Lenovo notebook). In fact, some older equipment may work better under Linux. Some may require after market drivers (I had to buy the Pro version of Vuescan for my flatbed and duplexing ADF scanners but it is a lifetime license that can be used on up to four computers at a time, each with an unlimited number of scanners, so it was a worthwhile investment). Keep in mind not all hardware that works with Windows will work with Mac, and vice versa, so why expect it not to be true with Linux? If buying a new computer, it is best to buy one that already has any distro of Linux on it to ensure compatibility. You can always switch distros after buying it (and you won't have wasted one red cent for the OS already on it). Collins recommends using an older computer when starting out with Linux instead of using your current daily driver (which is kindasorta what I did; it is an older Lenovo notebook I bought several years ago but never used); it will be far less frustrating that way.

All that said, Linux is not for everyone. However, as long as you keep in mind it took you years to get to where you are in Windows now and accept you will have to go through the same process with Linux (although it could take less time), then most people will find that Linux is an acceptable replacement for Windows.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 01-22-2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Correct link issues due to screwed up forum software.
post #197 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 06:55 AM
Vermin Supreme 2020

"getting caught up on the first snag"

we test drove a potential new hire last week. We put him on what we viewed as a rather simple task. We wanted him to go into the asset system, pull a report of all, and break it down by OS & hardware.

within 15 minutes he flat out said "i have little excel experience, and when I get stuck I get frustrated, and when i'm frustrated I get stuck, well right now I'm frustrated.. btw did I mention I have 900 hours in WarHammer?"

bro, thanks for being honest.

NEXT!!!

post #198 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 07:22 PM
Politically incorrect

Rep: 633 (Unique: 309)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
All that said, Linux is not for everyone. However, as long as you keep in mind it took you years to get to where you are in Windows now and accept you will have to go through the same process with Linux (although it could take less time), then most people will find that Linux is an acceptable replacement for Windows.
Well said. Sadly a lot of developers won't port their software to Linux. Adobe won't port their software, neither will Magix. Fortunately DaVinci has been ported to Linux but Avid refuse to and only work on Windows.

I use Premier Pro because I'm not a professional, though I will try DaVinci instead as I want to use Linux as my main OS in the future.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in