[ExtremeTech] Reminder: Windows 7 Support Ends Tuesday, Jan. 14 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[ExtremeTech] Reminder: Windows 7 Support Ends Tuesday, Jan. 14

post #1 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 47 (Unique: 42)
[ExtremeTech] Reminder: Windows 7 Support Ends Tuesday, Jan. 14

Quote:
All good things come to an end, however, and on January 14, 2020, Windows 7 will reach its own. After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates for Windows 7. While it’s possible that the company will make a bare handful of limited exceptions to this policy, as it has for Windows XP, it will no longer be providing regular updates in any form. The OS won’t stop working, but it will stop getting patches. That probably won’t matter much on February 1, but it could matter quite a bit within a year or two. Folks still using Windows 7 today have a few different options:

Install Windows 10: While Microsoft’s free upgrade program technically ended in July 2016, the company never actually bothered to end it. You can still upgrade a Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 system to Windows 10 for free. Use Microsoft’s Media Installation Tool and choose to upgrade your existing OS installation.
Source: https://www.extremetech.com/computin...tuesday-jan-14

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Just a reminder, the 14th is TOMORROW! I didn't realize the end of windows 7 support had gotten this close. I wonder if we will hear an announcement tomorrow that they're extending support, as is often the case.

If you are still on windows 7 or 8, you can upgrade to 10 for free even if you never have used windows 10 before. Any legit windows 7 key will work with a windows 10 installer and activate. The same should be true for windows 8. Microsoft never really stopped allowing free upgrades to windows 10, and they've even done things to make it easier than it was at first.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by UltraMega; 01-13-2020 at 03:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 231 (Unique: 109)
Or give Linux a try.

I've been using it for a decade now and have been steadily moving more and more of my workloads to Linux until I hit a wall around three or four years ago when the only thing that kept me from removing my Windows partition was playing games. Now that Proton (Valve's compatibility tools) and Lutris (crowdsourced compatibility tools) are pretty polished in my particular usage scenario I don't miss Windows at all. There are a few games here and there that will refuse to work but it feels really good to give Microsoft the middle finger.

Just download a Ubuntu live USB image and give it a test ride. If you like what you see then you can pick it or some other distribution like Mint (Ubuntu clone), Debian (Ubuntu is based on Debian) or something else. You won't regret it.

I use Manjaro (testing branch) because it is just a step behind Archlinux (which is the absolute bleeding edge) but it isn't as time consuming. I reckon it is a bit harder than Ubuntu but it is worth it.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #3 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 616 (Unique: 300)
Linux with PCI passthrough to Windows.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 97 (Unique: 77)
Until they say, well we will support it longer. Or that someone else will support it.

post #5 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:46 AM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 185 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mrzev View Post
Until they say, well we will support it longer. Or that someone else will support it.
They already announced they'd support it longer but it will cost extra.

https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-...curity-updates

Use Intel's Clear Linux or Solus for the best performance on x86. They're both Linux distributions built from scratch.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz w/ .975v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:50 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 131 (Unique: 85)
Hi,
I say finally no more borking updates

I've only been updating once a year for the last couple years so my schedule just dropped one task

CPU
i9-9940x With Optimus Foundation copper-plexi and Heatkiller VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Other
5.0/https://valid.x86.fr/ez2ifr
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
Get everyone on win10. Wait a bit. Boom you now need to pay monthly for this as its a service now.

Just Roll With It
post #8 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:33 PM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 658 (Unique: 351)
accept they've already said in multiple ways that they wanna be just like apple.

buying the device is buying the base OS. n you'll pay more from there, via SAAS. A monthly version does already exist, technically. Specially for corporations using azureAD.

or just keep buying enterprise keys off of ebay, like I always do. i've yet to have one go belly up in 10 years of doing it.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #9 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 145 (Unique: 99)
Quote: Originally Posted by ACleverName View Post
Get everyone on win10. Wait a bit. Boom you now need to pay monthly for this as its a service now.
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
accept they've already said in multiple ways that they wanna be just like apple.

buying the device is buying the base OS. n you'll pay more from there, via SAAS. A monthly version does already exist, technically. Specially for corporations using azureAD.

or just keep buying enterprise keys off of ebay, like I always do. i've yet to have one go belly up in 10 years of doing it.
Windows 7 was the last decent version of Windows as we knew it. It was clearly steering off to a different direction with 8 and 10 was the final nail. 10 Enterprise and LTSC are less bad, but not much. At least it's not literal adware and is slightly less of a spyware.

The PC will never die, but let's face it, it's not the '00s anymore. The "Consumer PC" is kind of dying. The home PC is an appliance like a washing machine now. Power users at home and gamers are an exception, but the average person now will only use a PC at work, of if they have to work on something at home. People are glued to their phones now. Even tablets lost much of their appeal now that 6" screens and larger are normal. They chat on their phones, they watch YouTube on it, waste hours on social networks and even watch series and movies on the damn thing.

Windows will only get worse from here on out. Desktop PCs will get more expensive eventually, since demand is lowering and they are only replaced when they die, they will become a sort of "home workstation". Windows might move to a monthly payment model, or not, it would be quite annoying for average folks, that might push them towards alternatives like Chromebooks and Macs (in the first world).

There will still be Linux though. The Desktop PC might become a nerd hobby again.
post #10 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 47 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by girugamesh View Post
Windows 7 was the last decent version of Windows as we knew it. It was clearly steering off to a different direction with 8 and 10 was the final nail. 10 Enterprise and LTSC are less bad, but not much. At least it's not literal adware and is slightly less of a spyware.

The PC will never die, but let's face it, it's not the '00s anymore. The "Consumer PC" is kind of dying. The home PC is an appliance like a washing machine now. Power users at home and gamers are an exception, but the average person now will only use a PC at work, of if they have to work on something at home. People are glued to their phones now. Even tablets lost much of their appeal now that 6" screens and larger are normal. They chat on their phones, they watch YouTube on it, waste hours on social networks and even watch series and movies on the damn thing.

Windows will only get worse from here on out. Desktop PCs will get more expensive eventually, since demand is lowering and they are only replaced when they die, they will become a sort of "home workstation". Windows might move to a monthly payment model, or not, it would be quite annoying for average folks, that might push them towards alternatives like Chromebooks and Macs (in the first world).

There will still be Linux though. The Desktop PC might become a nerd hobby again.
Ok Boomer.

Windows 10 is in a whole different bracket when it comes to computer repair. Those of us who don't wear a tin foil hat every time we browse the internet are able to appreciate the benefits of a more modern more capable and more secure operating system.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in