[Phoronix] Intel's Mitigation For CVE-2019-14615 Graphics Vulnerability Obliterates Gen7 iGPU Performance - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Phoronix] Intel's Mitigation For CVE-2019-14615 Graphics Vulnerability Obliterates Gen7 iGPU Performance

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 07:17 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
SwitchFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 792
Rep: 15 (Unique: 12)
Does this affect QuickSync?

SwitchFX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 07:22 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bradentucky
Posts: 25,477
Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
Quote: Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
I think the point was that what impact will a future mitigation have on Gen.9 performance? Obsolescence by security mitigation? Too many people still using old systems? Need a quick injection of cash from companies replacing their kit? Announce security vulnerability, "mitigate" it (and destroy performance in the process), tell everyone "new chips don't see a performance drop!".... profit?
only problem is anyone with a bit of knowledge in their tech division is telling them to renew on AMD products. MSPs will also pimp AMD solutions going forward, if they haven't already. That only leaves home users victim to these shady tactics, which rarely end well (see Apple's battery update that ended in class action and free warranty replacements)

example - we ordered 100 Vega 10 books last week, BEFORE Ryuk made the news, weeks after windows defender started finding it... Now i'm like a prophet, even though I've been saying the EXACT SAME THING thru all of 2019. We'll be buying nothing but AMD products for the next 3-4 years assuming things keep this way. Maybe Shart's hitting the fan hard enough @ Intel CPU division to speed up the death of core.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 01-19-2020 at 07:27 PM.
skupples is online now  
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 09:57 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Paradigm Shifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Japan
Posts: 3,004
Rep: 255 (Unique: 203)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
only problem is anyone with a bit of knowledge in their tech division is telling them to renew on AMD products. MSPs will also pimp AMD solutions going forward, if they haven't already. That only leaves home users victim to these shady tactics, which rarely end well (see Apple's battery update that ended in class action and free warranty replacements)

example - we ordered 100 Vega 10 books last week, BEFORE Ryuk made the news, weeks after windows defender started finding it... Now i'm like a prophet, even though I've been saying the EXACT SAME THING thru all of 2019. We'll be buying nothing but AMD products for the next 3-4 years assuming things keep this way. Maybe Shart's hitting the fan hard enough @ Intel CPU division to speed up the death of core.
I was (mostly) joking. I'm working in a place where when I asked for a Threadripper system, I got funny looks... "Why don't you want Intel?"


Paradigm Shifter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 06:38 AM
Not a linux lobbyist
 
rluker5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,205
Rep: 61 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
only problem is anyone with a bit of knowledge in their tech division is telling them to renew on AMD products. MSPs will also pimp AMD solutions going forward, if they haven't already. That only leaves home users victim to these shady tactics, which rarely end well (see Apple's battery update that ended in class action and free warranty replacements)

example - we ordered 100 Vega 10 books last week, BEFORE Ryuk made the news, weeks after windows defender started finding it... Now i'm like a prophet, even though I've been saying the EXACT SAME THING thru all of 2019. We'll be buying nothing but AMD products for the next 3-4 years assuming things keep this way. Maybe Shart's hitting the fan hard enough @ Intel CPU division to speed up the death of core.
Quote: Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
I was (mostly) joking. I'm working in a place where when I asked for a Threadripper system, I got funny looks... "Why don't you want Intel?"
The death of core should be here soon enough.
Check out the max single core of a locked 3.9 single/3.5ghz multi throttle prone 15w sunny cove vs the max single locked 5ghz skylake. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...16115vsm888368
Willow cove (tiger lake) will be faster and I'm really hoping golden cove will have a 8c16t ddr5 desktop sku. It will make ryzen look like fx and that may be being generous to AMD.

What I have will do for now, but I'm pretty hyped about golden cove. I wonder if the supposed redone cache will fix these security flaws that seem pretty inconsequential for the home user, but viable for shared public servers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-sunny_cove_roadmap.png
Views:	8
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	320298  


L5
(16 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
Team 16GB [email protected]
Hard Drive
1Tb Team sata+1TB Team sata+1TB 42mm msata
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design C (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, M1060, DT990pro, Fidelio2
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
4770k
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
16GB Samsung cheap
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
rluker5 is offline  
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:43 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
EniGma1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,542
Rep: 348 (Unique: 257)
Quote: Originally Posted by SwitchFX View Post
Does this affect QuickSync?
I would think so. QS has its own hardware blocks in the iGPU, but does use the shader cores for compute stuff. So switching between QS compute and graphics rendering of applications will trigger the context switch and flush the EUs. You could probably mitigate this by turning off as much gpu rendering of windows as possible.

EniGma1987 is offline  
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 06:56 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bradentucky
Posts: 25,477
Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
Quote: Originally Posted by rluker5 View Post
The death of core should be here soon enough.
Check out the max single core of a locked 3.9 single/3.5ghz multi throttle prone 15w sunny cove vs the max single locked 5ghz skylake. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...16115vsm888368
Willow cove (tiger lake) will be faster and I'm really hoping golden cove will have a 8c16t ddr5 desktop sku. It will make ryzen look like fx and that may be being generous to AMD.

What I have will do for now, but I'm pretty hyped about golden cove. I wonder if the supposed redone cache will fix these security flaws that seem pretty inconsequential for the home user, but viable for shared public servers.
I'm sure they'll rebound just fine, the question is when.

i'm on a 9700k atm, and i've gotta say. I'm an idiot for putting money into something with only 16 lanes. I'm jumping ship over to whatever winner AMD drops at the end of the year.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off