[AndroidPolice] Vulkan API 1.2 gives developers tools to make Android and Stadia games faster - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[AndroidPolice] Vulkan API 1.2 gives developers tools to make Android and Stadia games faster

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 185 (Unique: 128)
[AndroidPolice] Vulkan API 1.2 gives developers tools to make Android and Stadia games faster

Source: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/0...es-faster/?amp

Quote:
Some of the key improvements in Vulkan 1.2 include timeline semaphores for easier synchronization, a standardized memory model for synchronization and memory options in different threads, and better support for HLSL. That last change is significant news for games ported from Microsoft DirectX (likely the case for many Stadia games), or games running in Valve's Proton compatibility layer.

Google's Stadia team is excited about the changes, at least. "Vulkan 1.2 brings remarkable improvements for HLSL support in Vulkan and the increased flexibility and performance gains will enable developers to take greater advantage of the GPU than ever before. Stadia can’t wait to see how developers leverage the new timeline semaphore, descriptor indexing, and finer type subgroup operations in graphics and compute for their next generation titles," said Hai Nguyen, staff technical solutions engineer on Stadia.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1218mV
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:50 PM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 651 (Unique: 349)
what is a "stadia game" ?

i had to read this a few times... I'm left with one question. Stadia is planning exclusives or something?

either way, woot for Android at large. I'm still looking for a good way to access my gaming PC from work, and actually be able to game.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
what is a "stadia game" ?

i had to read this a few times... I'm left with one question. Stadia is planning exclusives or something?

either way, woot for Android at large. I'm still looking for a good way to access my gaming PC from work, and actually be able to game.
Really hope that Stadia and stuff like it doesn't take off. If Google and their money couldn't do it right, I don't see how anyone else is. I just hope that enough people on the planet who care have already played video games, and know that streaming with that much latency is abysmal.

Everything I own or have used extensively in an alphabetical list. Ask me anything! ^-^
CPU
Ryzen 1600
Motherboard
ASRock AB350
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1070
RAM
G-Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500BQ
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Rosewill Viper Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer GN246HL
Keyboard
Corsair K65
Mouse
Too many
Mousepad
Too many
Audio
SHP9500
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 08:13 PM
LTSC Consiglieri

so far, stadia proves all the marketing in the world still can't sell a lie, at least for long. It's essentially an inconsistent overly taxed flop at the moment. Those you saw trying to give it a chance have cut their controllers open, tossed them into fires, and flung them into space.

I have no issue with it "taking off" if its the best option for consumes. IE: cost effective, and equal to or BETTER performance than home. HOWEVER, charging a sub + full price for games that I may already own is a bad way to start.

They'd be better off providing me a SAAS way to stream my own games where I want, with the option to buy more from them, if I want, because they're actively competing in the same marketplace where all of our stuff already exists. This already exists, but the companies are tiny an ineffective.

but that's never gonna happen. GRID was shaping up to be like that, which turned into Shield/Experience, which so far only provides an in-home streaming pipe. I've yet to find a good way to get that signal out.

Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 02:16 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 439 (Unique: 303)
Quote: Originally Posted by Avalar View Post
Really hope that Stadia and stuff like it doesn't take off. If Google and their money couldn't do it right, I don't see how anyone else is. I just hope that enough people on the planet who care have already played video games, and know that streaming with that much latency is abysmal.
Problem for stadia is technical.
The fact that lag exist and can't be removed, is the stick in the wheels.
Once that problem is really overcome once tech becomes better, stadia can really work. So right now it is more of an experiment than something that can really work right now.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 02:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
I have a stadia and use it daily, I mostly play assassin's creed odyssey, and some thumper, and other trying to shoot with a bow where aim is important, I don't see any issues with it at the moment.

It's a fairly good experience, but the thing that sells it for me is the fact that I can easily move around the house and play, be it chilling on the sofa after a long day of working on the pc, or picking it up on the pc when I feel like playing there.

They certainly have things to improve, like the lack of vp9 working out of the box on Chrome browser, giving a much worse experience on pc vs Chromecast, not to mention a bunch of other minor things. But for me at least, the service itself works just great.

Also, I don't live in a major city, I live in a small village in Norway at the far end of a fjord with about 30/10 internet +-5.

And considering that Microsoft is working on their xcloud, doesn't Nvidia also have something and Sony?

I can see why people wouldn't like the service, but I don't think its going anywhere
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 02:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 231 (Unique: 109)
There have been plenty of failed attempts to enter a market with a fistful of money before them. Intel had to give up on the mobile market, Microsoft the same and Google has more failed projects than successful ones. I wouldn't worry.

The only thing this can bring is a massive push for Vulkan and that would actually be great. On the Windows side of things Vulkan doesn't have much relevance and people is actually surprised when a game uses Vulkan instead/along of DX11 or DX12 like RDR2but in Linux it is like Jesus' second coming.

There was some arguing over the Windows 7 thread about whether proprietary software can be replaced or not and Vulkan is another perfect example that once an open source project takes afoot there's nothing much to do against it. Unless MS starts using some shady practices, DX12 is dead in the water.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter

Last edited by Imouto; 01-21-2020 at 04:26 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 97 (Unique: 77)
I disagree. If latency is your main concern, there are 2 things that can be done. 1 Get better network infrastructure... but that's just something that might take years for cities to acquire. 2, Closer datacenters. This is the correct approach. I live in Houston. I expect to have a data center somewhere around here. At tops 50miles away. Not going out of the city, your bandwidth and latency should be very minimal. At 60 fps, 1 frame = .0166 seconds or 16 ms. I can ping google.com with an 8ms or half a frame, round trip. If latency of my game is 1/60th a second, so 1 frame, thats not going to be noticeable to 99% of people. To hard core gamers, sure that's a problem, but those are the minority. To say, i hope this service sucks because the only way to experience a game is pure perfection, well, most people cant play new games at 60fps anyways, let alone at 30 on the highest or even medium settings. I appreciate services like this because it makes games more available. To expect something to fail is one thing, but to hope something fails with anything to gain is narcissistic. I.E. I hope Intels next chip bombs because I have stock in AMD, thats cool. I hope intels next chip is terrible so they can go out of business ... wow I hope their next one fails because it will make the CEO wake up and finally do something right... cool. Granted thats all a little excessive, we should all be optimistic of technology, but realistic of course.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:44 AM
LTSC Consiglieri

Quote: Originally Posted by Rafdal View Post
I have a stadia and use it daily, I mostly play assassin's creed odyssey, and some thumper, and other trying to shoot with a bow where aim is important, I don't see any issues with it at the moment.

It's a fairly good experience, but the thing that sells it for me is the fact that I can easily move around the house and play, be it chilling on the sofa after a long day of working on the pc, or picking it up on the pc when I feel like playing there.

They certainly have things to improve, like the lack of vp9 working out of the box on Chrome browser, giving a much worse experience on pc vs Chromecast, not to mention a bunch of other minor things. But for me at least, the service itself works just great.

Also, I don't live in a major city, I live in a small village in Norway at the far end of a fjord with about 30/10 internet +-5.

And considering that Microsoft is working on their xcloud, doesn't Nvidia also have something and Sony?

I can see why people wouldn't like the service, but I don't think its going anywhere
That's about what I expected from it. OK single player experience, but not much else. I couldn't even imagine how frustrating it would be to play RDR2. Playing it @ 60FPS is bad enough.

should've setup Moonlight for free, or purchased a Shield, if you're only doing it in home. You'd then mirror out your own library, and there'd be near zero latency.

yes, nvidia has a nearly identical solution, where you have to re-buy games & pay monthly. = nope. They need a solution for existing users. They do a terrible job selling it, as the free samples on Shield rarely work, even with a 500mbps pipe.

Last edited by skupples; 01-21-2020 at 07:48 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:29 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 346 (Unique: 244)
Stadia is dead before it even launches, at least for anyone even a little competitive in gaming and not playing leisure on consoles. Consoles on the other hand... they have something to worry about for sure as streaming is a viable option to replace expensive console hardware with a bunch of on demand servers, at least for certain regions as streaming is totally dead for large part of Earth otherwise due to poor internet quality, low or too high population density, etc.

Vulkan, improvements, great, now use it and don't use DX11/12 pls.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in