[Phoronix] Microsoft Announces Direct3D 12 For Linux / WSL2 - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Phoronix] Microsoft Announces Direct3D 12 For Linux / WSL2

post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 01:49 AM
Fantastic Mr Fox

Rep: 175 (Unique: 120)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
All this crap is way over my head. I can't figure out if this increases my chances of being able to use a free linux distribution on a gaming only machine without having to install windows or not.
It doesn't. This is for WSL, and WSL is for developers using Windows machines that want to run Linux-based tools. If that is not you then you can move on to the next news article.

CPU
i7 920 D0
Motherboard
MSI X58 Pro-E
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970IX-4GD)
RAM
3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24
Hard Drive
840 Pro
Hard Drive
Caviar Black
Optical Drive
LG BD-ROM
Power Supply
Corsair HX-520
Case
CM690
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Monitor
Dell U2713HM
Monitor
Dell U2311H
Keyboard
Turbo-Trak (Google it :D)
Mouse
Mionix Avior 7000
Mouse
Everglide Titan
Audio
AKG K 242 HD
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 03:20 AM
Bench, Dead, Squat

Rep: 23 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
no one said game mode currently works. just that there are rumblings about future windows builds featuring a genuine game mode where all the not needed OS trash drops away after launching into a title. what could power that aside from switching over to a linux kernal while win10 basically sleeps?
I have been saying this for years... like since OG Xbox. I was saying if games could cut through the HAL and have direct access to the hardware, my god the performance!! But I realized then and now that would be nearly impossible as the hardware combinations are endless and to pass that along to the game dev to figure out is just out of the question.

Flipping the switch to a Linux kernel while Win10 kernel sleeps, might actually be a good compromise if designed and implemented well. Unlike the current "Game mode" which is pretty much snake oil at best, or game breaking at worst.

ShadowMoses
(21 items)
CPU
i7 7700K
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula LGA1151
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM
Corsair Vengenace Lpx 32GB DDR4 3200MHZ
Hard Drive
Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB 3.5in SATA3 64MB Cache Internal Solid State Hybrid Drive
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX Predator 240GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1 80 Plus Gold Certified 1000W Fully Modular
Cooling
RAD - EK-CoolStream XE 360
Cooling
CPU Block - EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel
Cooling
GPU Block - EK-FC Titan X Pascal - Nickel
Cooling
Pump / Res - EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM (incl. sleeved pump)
Cooling
Fans - 3 x EK-Vardar F4-120ER (2200rpm)
Cooling
Coolant - EK-Ekoolant Pastel BLUE (concentrate 250mL)
Cooling
Tubing - EK-DuraClear 11,1/15,9mm
Case
Thermaltake Core P3 SE Snow Edition
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Monitor
BenQ XL2720Z 27in LED 144HZ 1ms GTG FPS Gaming Monitor
Monitor
42" LG TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming K65 Lux RGB Compact Mechanical Keyboard
Mouse
Corsair Gaming M65 Pro RGB Optical Gaming Mouse
Mouse
Corsair Gaming MM300
▲ hide details ▲
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 02:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 436 (Unique: 291)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Everytime there is a thread about windows, a bunch of linux people show up to talk about how great linux is but now that Microsoft is getting on bored, no one wants to talk about it? Strange.

Maybe because people are running to linux to get AWAY FROM MICROSHAFT!

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 06:04 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 358 (Unique: 255)
Maybe one day it will actually work as so far my experience with virtualization on Windows has been rather hit or miss as they tend to compete with each other = block each other when installed. You have to choose only one program/option per installed OS. Even when having WSL alone, nah, it's still damn moody and Win. rarely behaves how is advertised when it comes to the virtualization and sandbox support.

Forget about gaming people. This is for power users, always has been. That's also why so far it still only support console only even though I bet a lot of people would like to have a GUI same as other virtualizations with a Linux install offer. This is more for running Linux only tools without having to buy and run a separate virtual machine. Why? So that developers, professionals keep using Windows as their main OS even when some of their programs run on Linux and they can mix the two together on one filesystem.

Still it seems far from finished and support on older hardware seems meh whether anyone wants to talk about it or not.

This has nothing to do with standalone Linux let lone gaming on Linux, those parts are for game developers to bother to release for in native form, that is if there ever will be good performant Linux GPU drivers and support in Linux for latest features which often there is not due to endless red tape and infighting.

Last edited by JackCY; 05-24-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in