[Guru3d] UEFI scanner brings Microsoft Defender ATP protection to a new level - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Guru3d] UEFI scanner brings Microsoft Defender ATP protection to a new level

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 11:17 AM
FOCAL ARIA FTW
 
Wishmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Luxembourg Ville
Posts: 9,289
Rep: 359 (Unique: 279)
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkRyder View Post
Forgot Facebook.
Indeed.
I deleted my account 5 years ago and never looked back.
I shall let myself out now for not mentioning the biggest cancer in the history of our planet.

FLOOR STANDING SYSTEM: FOCAL ARIA 948 WITH NAD C388 & NAD C568 & REGA PLANAR 3 / HOME CINEMA : YAMAHA AVENTAGE RX-A860
DESKTOP AUDIO: DENON AHD-2000/5000 -MARK LAWTON & DENON AHD-9200 WITH PIZZA STACK / TOPPING A50 HiFi BALANCED HEADPHONE AMP & D50S HI-RES DAC & P50 REGULATED LINEAR PSU


Wishmaker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,189
Rep: 56 (Unique: 51)
OCN, where an article about UEFI security turn into a discussion about Facebook.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
UltraMega is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 01:51 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bradentucky
Posts: 25,247
Rep: 736 (Unique: 388)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
The tinfoil hat side of me has always felt that the security experts and the exploiters are the same people. Create an security system (leave a hole), create an exploit using the hole, get a contract to fix it.... (cue the Lion King scene with the circle of life playing in the background)

It's easy to become a victim of paranoia about things that we don't understand, and this security stuff is WAY over my head.
and yet my employer just pointed a not-IT guy to the position of CISO. He was "CTO" which was a decent place for him to halt progress, but not cause any genuine damage.

now he can cause genuine damage, and will also have to hire people to actually do the job for him as he's NOT an Technology guy. He DOES NOT have a technology background, and lives 30K foot life.

IE - terrible candidate, but he's been the CEO's go to "tech guy" for 16 years sooooo

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 01:49 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
8051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,595
Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
I refuse to use iOS and Google. Sadly I have to use Youtube, no other service has all the music and educational videos I like.
I had thought Apple the most secure OS for phones?

I agree with you about Youtube (a wholly owned subsidiary of google?). I try to use *****ute as much as possible.
8051 is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 08:30 AM
Politically incorrect
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 9,126
Rep: 630 (Unique: 307)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
I had thought Apple the most secure OS for phones?

I agree with you about Youtube (a wholly owned subsidiary of google?). I try to use *****ute as much as possible.
You must be joking, Apple don't even know what security means. They take the most secure OS: BSD and create the worst OS possible, with more holes than Beirut in the 80's.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Liranan is offline  
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 08:31 AM
Politically incorrect
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 9,126
Rep: 630 (Unique: 307)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
OCN, where an article about UEFI security turn into a discussion about Facebook.
Love OCN for this.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Liranan is offline  
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 11:05 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
8051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,595
Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
You must be joking, Apple don't even know what security means. They take the most secure OS: BSD and create the worst OS possible, with more holes than Beirut in the 80's.
So it's not even more secure or more trustworthy than Android?
8051 is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,189
Rep: 56 (Unique: 51)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
So it's not even more secure or more trustworthy than Android?
It's kinda hard to quantify what is the most secure OS because the more popular OSes get more attacks and the ones with less users get fewer attacks, so a platform like MacOS or iOS can be behind on security but also benifit from having a smaller user base. Windows is a lot more secure in a technical sense than macOS, for example, but also has a much larger user base and therefore gets many many times more attacks.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
UltraMega is offline  
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 02:52 AM
Politically incorrect
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 9,126
Rep: 630 (Unique: 307)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
It's kinda hard to quantify what is the most secure OS because the more popular OSes get more attacks and the ones with less users get fewer attacks, so a platform like MacOS or iOS can be behind on security but also benifit from having a smaller user base. Windows is a lot more secure in a technical sense than macOS, for example, but also has a much larger user base and therefore gets many many times more attacks.
Linux servers are constantly under attack. I have seen hackers attempt to hack the largest local hospital running Red Hat while I was watching, these attacks just aren't publicised.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Liranan is offline  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,189
Rep: 56 (Unique: 51)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
Linux servers are constantly under attack. I have seen hackers attempt to hack the largest local hospital running Red Hat while I was watching, these attacks just aren't publicized.
Windows and android are widely used and therefore get a lot of attacks, linux is used for servers which can be higher reward targets and therefore get a lot of attacks. MacOS is nether of those thing and therefore gets fewer attacks.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
UltraMega is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off