[Guru3d] UEFI scanner brings Microsoft Defender ATP protection to a new level - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Guru3d] UEFI scanner brings Microsoft Defender ATP protection to a new level

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 03:44 AM
Politically incorrect
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 9,121
Rep: 630 (Unique: 307)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Windows and android are widely used and therefore get a lot of attacks, linux is used for servers which can be higher reward targets and therefore get a lot of attacks. MacOS is nether of those thing and therefore gets fewer attacks.
MacOS is the easiest to attack, which is why Apple now recommend an antivirus for an OS that is based on the most secure OS ever made: BSD.

Can you imagine what Apple must have done to the OS that has only three known attack vectors discovered in the past decade for it to require an AV?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Liranan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,167
Rep: 56 (Unique: 51)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
MacOS is the easiest to attack, which is why Apple now recommend an antivirus for an OS that is based on the most secure OS ever made: BSD.

Can you imagine what Apple must have done to the OS that has only three known attack vectors discovered in the past decade for it to require an AV?
Right, I am just pointing out the relationship between OS prevalence and how that affects their security. Linux is the exception because it's not a consumer OS.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
UltraMega is offline  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 04:24 PM
Old to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,091
Rep: 125 (Unique: 106)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
It's kinda hard to quantify what is the most secure OS because the more popular OSes get more attacks and the ones with less users get fewer attacks, so a platform like MacOS or iOS can be behind on security but also benifit from having a smaller user base. Windows is a lot more secure in a technical sense than macOS, for example, but also has a much larger user base and therefore gets many many times more attacks.
If you wanna know what the most secure OS is, you don't need to debate all sorts of asinine things that can go on forever. Just look at what the big time players doing big boy computer stuff do. Instagram, google docs and other lame peasant stuff does not count. Average normie that checks "social media" and watches react to videos Win10 and MacOS is what they run. But then you look at the Jedi masters of computer-fu, it's almost all Linux.




Servers constantly under attack by hackvisit groups and black hats run Linux.

Hackers breaking into multi-million dollar coporations and stealing all your info to sell in on the dark web run some variation of Linux, Kali, Parrot, etc.

Major cyber criminals, everything is Linux, whether it be Tails, Whonix, Qubes, etc.

Guys moving bricks of dope across borders, major organized crime, Linux.

Major fraudsters, Linux VM's inside more Linux VMs'. Only time they touch Windows is when they used hacked RDP to Windows machine to go masquerade as some normie to make fraudulent purchases and drain bank accounts.

Real sysadmins working for NYSE listed listed top corps, it's all in house Linux/BSD. No Windows servers here.

Guys starting underground market places and hidden service sites, Linux.

Everything in the big leagues, where three letter government agencies are actually after you. People trust and use Linux almost exclusively. It's not because it's obscure and a minute use base, it's because it's inherently more secure in so many facets.

362436
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲



Last edited by xJumper; 06-26-2020 at 04:29 PM.
xJumper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 04:27 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bradentucky
Posts: 25,231
Rep: 734 (Unique: 386)
well yeah, it wasn't designed to report EVERYTHING to the alphabets & MSFT.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is offline  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 06:29 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Circaflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 120
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
Win Vista - 7 - 8 - 8.1 - Spy - XBox. The regression is going well. Next we'll have Win Lockdown, it knows everything about you so it will make all of your decisions for you and tell you what you want to do on your PC.
I hope you realize how silly you sound. Vista and 7 both had telemetry in them, just as 10 does.

Main Rig
(10 items)
CPU
i9-10900K
Motherboard
MSI MEG Z490 Unify
GPU
nVidia RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
GSkill TridentZ F4-4000C19D-32GTZKK
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Power Supply
Cosair AX1200i
Cooling
Dual DDCs->Dual EK XE360 w/GT's -> HK IV CPU -> HK IV GPU ->EK X3 Res controlled by Aquaero 6
Case
Little Devil Benchtable
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Acer Predator
▲ hide details ▲


Circaflex is offline  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 07:44 PM
Politically incorrect
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 9,121
Rep: 630 (Unique: 307)
Quote: Originally Posted by Circaflex View Post
I hope you realize how silly you sound. Vista and 7 both had telemetry in them, just as 10 does.
LOL, they had nowhere near the telemetry that Spy does. Vista and 7's telemetry was only enabled if you activated WEI, unlike Spy that is constantly spying on you.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Liranan is offline  
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 07:46 PM
Politically incorrect
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 9,121
Rep: 630 (Unique: 307)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
If you wanna know what the most secure OS is, you don't need to debate all sorts of asinine things that can go on forever. Just look at what the big time players doing big boy computer stuff do. Instagram, google docs and other lame peasant stuff does not count. Average normie that checks "social media" and watches react to videos Win10 and MacOS is what they run. But then you look at the Jedi masters of computer-fu, it's almost all Linux.




Servers constantly under attack by hackvisit groups and black hats run Linux.

Hackers breaking into multi-million dollar coporations and stealing all your info to sell in on the dark web run some variation of Linux, Kali, Parrot, etc.

Major cyber criminals, everything is Linux, whether it be Tails, Whonix, Qubes, etc.

Guys moving bricks of dope across borders, major organized crime, Linux.

Major fraudsters, Linux VM's inside more Linux VMs'. Only time they touch Windows is when they used hacked RDP to Windows machine to go masquerade as some normie to make fraudulent purchases and drain bank accounts.

Real sysadmins working for NYSE listed listed top corps, it's all in house Linux/BSD. No Windows servers here.

Guys starting underground market places and hidden service sites, Linux.

Everything in the big leagues, where three letter government agencies are actually after you. People trust and use Linux almost exclusively. It's not because it's obscure and a minute use base, it's because it's inherently more secure in so many facets.
What I don't understand is why ATM's run XP instead of a purpose built Linux distro. I just don't understand why they take this level of risk.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb

Last edited by Liranan; 06-28-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Liranan is offline  
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 08:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Circaflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 120
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
LOL, they had nowhere near the telemetry that Spy does. Vista and 7's telemetry was only enabled if you activated WEI, unlike Spy that is constantly spying on you.
:rollseyes:

Main Rig
(10 items)
CPU
i9-10900K
Motherboard
MSI MEG Z490 Unify
GPU
nVidia RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
GSkill TridentZ F4-4000C19D-32GTZKK
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Power Supply
Cosair AX1200i
Cooling
Dual DDCs->Dual EK XE360 w/GT's -> HK IV CPU -> HK IV GPU ->EK X3 Res controlled by Aquaero 6
Case
Little Devil Benchtable
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Acer Predator
▲ hide details ▲


Circaflex is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off