Virtual reality television to be a commercial reality in 15 years. - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Virtual reality television to be a commercial reality in 15 years.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 10:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 167 (Unique: 124)
dude... maybe 50 years for americans... but those crazy japanese are so smart and will make it in 15... then make billions exporting to us... I WANT ONE!! that would be soooo cool... how would you like move? and I wonder how they would make like cameras taht do that.. plus thats if the whole world isn't nuked over before 15 years from now... ....

My sig rig is for sale and I currently use my laptop. Darn schoolz!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 10:07 PM

VR is cool. yeah some shades would be nice.. ya can do stuff with broad's and they cant complain about missing the movie. haha. I dunno just felt like Putting my 2 cents in.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 10:07 PM

I think the money would be better spent making a 3D TV screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 06:49 AM
Sun
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 328 (Unique: 249)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3r3my
I think the money would be better spent making a 3D TV screen.
Done.

See Here.

This has been on the market for a while.

DO NOT PIRATE GAMES.
Mission: ImPA120.3 Triple Radiator inside Antec 300
Add to the Data @ Fuelly

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 24)
The japanese don't need the huge amounts of money you americans spend to develop things. They have the will and the efficiency to not waste and/or lose half the money they get in their bugdet. They are so disceplined a people that I wouldn't be surprised if they got it done on time, with the money they ask for.

"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves." - Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 02:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
two points:

1] making VR smell must be near imposible because it is a chemical reaction

2] the monitor is a bit expensive, which is understandable but it wouldn't be very good for gaming because of the 25ms response time

The word of the day is legs, spread the word!wink.gif

No. Please, keep talking. I still have a few brain cells remaining that you haven't murdered with Stupidity!

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 06:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 250)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikMYarm
two points:

1] making VR smell must be near imposible because it is a chemical reaction

2] the monitor is a bit expensive, which is understandable but it wouldn't be very good for gaming because of the 25ms response time
They just synthesise the chemicals required and pump little bursts of it into the room you're viewing from. They would only require specific smells (like apples, if you are viewing them on a virtual supermarket) or ambient smells (like the ozone smell you get when it rains hard) to add to the overall realism of the experience. They might try other methods, but simply synthesising the requisite chemicals and pumping small amounts into your (real) environment is pretty simple. The technology to reproduce some smells exists now. As the article said, virtual TV will be a multidisciplinary effort, so chemists, as well as engineers will be involved.

Highly-Annoyed

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. -Plato
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. -Euripides .. Terrifying are the weaknesses of power. -Greek Proverb
----—-—-————————————————————————————————————————————————
exclamation.gifMy Favourite Windows XP Freeware Page . ...' ..'.exclamation.gif Wowza's Core 2 Duo Motherboard Analysis
----—-—-————————————————————————————————————————————————

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 151 (Unique: 118)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifterzor
$9 million is like 123098123 jillion japanese yen...literally.
One dollar is about 100 yen- give or take 20 yen, 9 million US is really more like 1 billion Yen. With your average desktop in Japan costing about 400,000 yen- it's really not much capital to dump into a project like this.

Maximus Overhaul *Updated 03/05/08*

CPUz Valid 400x9proof.gifCPUz Valid 450x8proof.gif
Ask me about my private DII Battlenet server.
Quote:
I refused 2 jobs, staying unemployed for 10 years, and drop school just to play diablo 2. And now they're gonna mess DIII up. that's just not fair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in