Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [SCRATCH BUILD] Metro Last Light

View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
Bad Fenny
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 9)
Aging the Heatsink

Hi all,

I finished the plasti-dip on my mobo to give it a more edgy look and then added a bit of weathering/rust touches to finish it off. I also added a few theme oriented stickers (communist faction / Russian radiation warning sign.

However, when looking it over while waiting for my plasti-dipped RAM to dry (really loving the Plasti Dip), I realized I can't just slap the old Intel stock heatsink back on this gritty board without modifications. So . . . time to age.

First thing I did was take the heatsink apart . . . HOLY DUST BUNNIES BATMAN! redface.gif

I really wanted the heatsink to pop when sitting in the case so I decided against any matt dark colours. So I figured I would go with an industrial yellow which has aged and rusted over the course the nuclear holocaust. First coat of paint was a red oxide, followed but light dusting of bright yellow and then another light dusting of red oxide. This gave me the base look to weather.

Final weathering was brushed aluminum feathering at the edges followed by dry rubbing charcoal dust over the finish. Finally I added a radioactive sticker to the fan . . . it is Metro Last Light after all . . . with all it nuclear goodness. biggrin.gif

I couldn't just leave those black/red/yellow and blue fan wires haunting the look so I dug out my trusty old para cord and had at it.

Last thing I wanted to do was age the mounting bracket to match the top finish. So I used the same painting method.

Et voila . . . the finished product

Cheers

Fen