[TinyBuild] G2A sold $450k worth of our game keys that we received no payment for - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TinyBuild] G2A sold $450k worth of our game keys that we received no payment for

Closed Thread

post #1 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 503 (Unique: 276)
Source.
Quote:
The problem is that this business model is fundamentally flawed and facilitates a black market economy. I’ve spoken to a merchant on G2A about how he’s making $3-4k a month, and he outlined the core business model:

Get ahold of a database of stolen credit cards on the darkweb
Go to a bundle/3rd party key reseller and buy a ton of game keys
Put them up onto G2A and sell them at half the retail price

I’ve reached out to distribution partners inquiring about the amounts of chargebacks happening, and it’s killing some of them. [article on indiegamestand]. There are variations on this business model, as some “merchants” live off bots who actively scavenge keys from Twitter/Twitch/Facebook, and then use Steam’s gifting feature to “sell” the key on G2A.

tl;dr websites like G2A are facilitating a fraud-fueled economy where key resellers are being hit with tons of stolen credit card transactions and these websites are now growing rapidly due to low pricing of game keys

A lot of good information at the source.

Been seeing a lot of people go to bat for G2A on this forum recently, which I find kind of absurd. The community here has always held some esteem for me and to see people here defending a shady company that facilitates theft and scamming simply because they like to buy cheap games is no bueno. G2A and other sites like it need to disappear overnight, it's hurting legitimate resalers and devs alike and that ultimately poisons the well and hurts you as gamers in the long run. You're killing the companies you rely on to provide you with quality entertainment every time you buy from G2A and similar sites.

I won't be arguing with anyone in this thread about this topic. There is nothing to argue about. This is just fact. and facts aren't to be debated, they're to be understood.

I only understood why my Mother had been so fond of the adage "Bread will always land butter side down" when one day, on a whim, I asked her if I had been born with such a lumpy head or if it came later. - Me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:01 PM
I might have tacos tonite

Rep: 491 (Unique: 345)
I think this quote from G2A sums up their business:
Quote:
At G2A we believe in being innocent until proven guilty, meaning we believe that all of our 200k merchants are legit until proven otherwise. We support merchants and assume they operate within the law.

They are basically like the pawn shop that knows everything is stolen. They didn't steal it themselves though, technically. If you manage to prove a seller isn't legit, they would probably remove them to keep things seeming legit.

post #3 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 305 (Unique: 244)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

I think this quote from G2A sums up their business:
They are basically like the pawn shop that knows everything is stolen. They didn't steal it themselves though, technically.

#Logic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 36)
I remember another dev reuting this statment on another site in which he states that the amount is exaggerated by a lot..

Favourite Quotes: (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankThis go_quote.gif

Commencing operation Separation.

Primary objective: Save my keister

I will make a 50/50 solution of cat water and Vitamin E skin cream to produce a lubricating substance which I will rub on my behind. Then I will commence to lubricate the handle of my sacrificed tooth brush which I plan to use as a pry bar. I will use iTunes and my HD 555s to keep my mind off the task at hand. Once the majority of a cheek is separated I will use a section of a cardboard box from a mini fridge as a spatula.

eek.gif

I'm really nervous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan cable garrotte string go_quote.gif

Modders: The real developers.
post #5 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 100 (Unique: 88)
Didn't G2A ask for tinybuild to provide keys that they believe were stolen and tinybuild has yet to reply?
post #6 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Vandelay Industries

Rep: 80 (Unique: 60)
Shouldn't the burden lay on bundle and other third party sellers allowing mass sales via low confirmation means? This seems like trying to fix one of many ends while ignoring the means.
post #7 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 66)
I thought it was obvious at this point that a lot of G2A sales are "fallen of truck merchandise".

Note: For this part I do not have a source myself but TB mentioned this on his podcast so i assume it is true.

Apparently once they got stolen keys and people are getting screwed over they contact the developer and say to them that they (the developer) has to use their service to fix things, otherwise people will refund their and the dev has to pay.

Yes, either the developer uses this "service" and has to pay money to G2A to fix the crap that G2A caused in the first place, or the developer has to deal with the whole situation themselves including refunds which can cause them a lot of money.

This is essentially the equivalent of a mafia group demanding protection money or something might happen with your shop.

The worst of all is that G2A actually sponsors a lot things like streamers so there is a big chance when you get to a popular streamer there is a g2a link in the description for stuff.

post #8 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:38 PM
I might have tacos tonite

Rep: 491 (Unique: 345)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Saved View Post

I remember another dev reuting this statment on another site in which he states that the amount is exaggerated by a lot..

Yeah, the math to get $450k is pretty laughable. Although if we figure it ended up being more like $80k lost sales, that is pretty much a full time person for a year, which can be a big deal for an indy dev.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assirra View Post

I thought it was obvious at this point that a lot of G2A sales are "fallen of truck merchandise".

Note: For this part I do not have a source myself but TB mentioned this on his podcast so i assume it is true.

Apparently once they got stolen keys and people are getting screwed over they contact the developer and say to them that they (the developer) has to use their service to fix things, otherwise people will refund their and the dev has to pay.

Yes, either the developer uses this "service" and has to pay money to G2A to fix the crap that G2A caused in the first place, or the developer has to deal with the whole situation themselves including refunds which can cause them a lot of money.

This is essentially the equivalent of a mafia group demanding protection money or something might happen with your shop.

The worst of all is that G2A actually sponsors a lot things like streamers so there is a big chance when you get to a popular streamer there is a g2a link in the description for stuff.

I don't think that's fair. There is absolutely no evidence G2A is scamming the keys themselves, other people are doing that. G2A is just giving them an easy place to offload the keys, and taking a small cut of any sales. All the money and almost none of the legal risk.

post #9 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 227 (Unique: 131)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

You're killing the companies you rely on to provide you with quality entertainment every time you buy from G2A and similar sites.

it doesn't matter where they buy said things, any form of "resell" will hurt the main company which made them, regardless of whether its digital or non-digital.
resold cars for example doesn't give their manufacturing company any additional sales, same goes for digital goods.

if they want to support the company who made said goods, they should buy them brandnew at their full price.

hell, even buying a formally discounted price is already ironic.
they want to support the company but they buy them at a discounted price?
thats like donating a penny instead of a dollar, are they really trying to support the company?

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #10 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:52 PM

lots of times regular G2A prices are lower then even Steam sales ones so quite obvious why they're successful
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in