[PN] Consoles Held Fallout: New Vegas Back - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[PN] Consoles Held Fallout: New Vegas Back

Closed Thread

post #21 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 03:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 452 (Unique: 373)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock999 View Post

https://www.pcgamesn.com/fallout-new-vegas/fallout-new-vegas-console
This is actually a pretty big deal.

A major developer rarely, if EVER, come out and says something like this. thinking.gif

That's because they don't need to, PC gamers already know how this goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 07:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
The least they could do is release a patches to fix things up, like loading, but they are way too lazy and money driven to do that. Instead we need to relay on modders to fix and update everything. Then they try to come up with paid mods kookoo.giflachen.gif

_
Never believe the hype.
Consoles aren't about hardware, they're about good games.
post #23 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Gamer

Rep: 77 (Unique: 67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

As much as I am a supporter of the PC master race, I must admit I fail to see the connection between designing for consoles and determining where to put a water tank.
lol seriously?

swah
AMD 2019
(6 items)
CPU
ryzen 3600
Motherboard
x570 Phantom Gaming 4
GPU
5700XT
RAM
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
Hard Drive
m.2 512GB
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 10:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 307 (Unique: 282)
This isn't really news. They already told us they cut a lot of content, from time constants and limitations of the consoles... Remember this was during the time when they had to work with 255-512mb of ram shared with the CPU and GPU... I think a current cpu with integrated graphics will give the old ps3 and xbox 360 a run for its money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Panther222 View Post

The least they could do is release a patches to fix things up, like loading, but they are way too lazy and money driven to do that. Instead we need to relay on modders to fix and update everything. Then they try to come up with paid mods kookoo.giflachen.gif

If you remembered correctly, new vegas at release was a horrible unplayable mess. You had to patch it to play it. It was a combination of the buggy game engine being hard to work with and bethesda rushing the product and giving obsedian less than 2 years to develop the game.

Remember this fellow.

post #25 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 12:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
Quote:

That's is, bluntly, an outright lie.

For a very long time consoles were at the forefront of game development, both technologically and in game design. To minimize that history with these sorts of statements just because you don't like the fact that a modern console is nothing more than a cheap HTPC is deeply misguided.

"For a very long time"? Huh? The PS2 AND Xbox weren't anywhere near as powerful as PC's when they were first sold, ditto for Xbox 360 and PS3, ditto for XBone and PS4. The games were designed w/the limitations of console hardware, which wasn't state-of-the-art.

The XBone is running at < 2.3 GHz and it's IPC is pitiful. The memory footprint for all consoles were always limited (for both CPU and GPU).

STALKER was a game designed specifically for the PC and it showed: vast draw distances, huge maps, advanced AI, tesselation -- none of the consoles could've handled these features at the time.
post #26 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 05:09 AM
Guru Meditation

Rep: 53 (Unique: 44)
Console games (well, some of them) should be a PC port, not the other way around....

CPU
Intel Core i7-8809G (Quad-Core 3.1 GHz / 4.2 GHz Turbo - Cache 8 Mo - TDP 100W)
GPU
AMD Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws Series SO-DIMM 16 Go (2 x 8Go) DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Hard Drive
Intel SSD 760P Series M.2 NVMe
Hard Drive
Intel SSD 760P Series M.2 NVMe
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Gechic 1305H
Keyboard
Cooler Master TKL with Topre switches
Mouse
Logitech M590 silent mouse
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 05:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 87 (Unique: 65)
Meh, games get content cut and rearranged all the time while in development, even PC exclusives. That website pcgamesn used developers quote in such a way, like it was a given that if they focused on PC game would be so much better. Well, that's not how it works, chances are, it could have been a lot worse, like some of these PC focused games that come out broken and unoptimized.
post #28 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 05:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)

Oblivion was, as well as Morrowind, the same as the other Elder Scrolls games before multiplatforming became the thing to do.

Also...

LancerVI

Quote:

If gaming would've never left the PC we would be looking at a far different much less advanced version of video games & gaming right now IMHO

I think differently, with PCs, the boundaries where regularly pushed back in the day.  GPU's where more niche than they are now.  Nifty graphics helped but you had to bring something to the table. Neverwinter Nights when it dropped, oh snap! Never had a 360 degree RPG rotate before (still don't, hehe).  How about when Tribes came out? Gave us that first taste of what's really good with massive multiplayer online (this is before the Lord appeared, known as Battlefield 2). 

Baldurs Gate gave us some of that turn based action, live action! Hit unpause and get nasty, gibs'en'all!  WarCraft.  Diablo.  Doom! (the snes got a passable version, the sega cd however, it got the better version).  And it was getting better.  Total Annihilation, omg, nostaligia overlord so i'm gonna jump out this time machine right here.

I guess what I'm saying is when the industry was starting, forget the consoles (which where doing platformers and jrpgs at the time and they had that hotness too) the innovation in gaming was with PCs.  Nintendo didn't help due to their stringent "seal of approval" (it was a thing kids, i will never forgive nor forget Mortal Kombat, the first one!), the Genesis however got targeted for a lot of "third party" content and it got heaps. 

Comined that with Nintendo and folks started finding out quick that you can make money making video games. EA started making sports games (before it got bought Venture Capitalists that started devouring over studios) and then mofo's where makin so much they literally didn't know what to do with it, so they did stupid ish and the rest is history.

It's funny, because now game development is returning back to it's roots.  She's been and is being whored out and only those with love of the art is keeping it relevant and that's across all platforms. 

They say, life often imitates art.  man, I'm getting old. 

Satisfaction!
(13 items)
Robes of Teal
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty K4
GPU
Asus RX 470
RAM
Corsair 16gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe
Optical Drive
Generic Optical Drive
Power Supply
600 Watt
Case
Rosewell
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Acer 27in
Keyboard
CM Storm
Mouse
CM Storm
Audio
on board
CPU
i5-7300HQ
GPU
Nvidia 1050
RAM
8gb
Hard Drive
1 TB
Optical Drive
none
Monitor
15.6 in TN Panel
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 06:09 AM
Guitar + Amp = Happiness

Rep: 171 (Unique: 149)
Quote:

That's is, bluntly, an outright lie.

For a very long time consoles were at the forefront of game development, both technologically and in game design. To minimize that history with these sorts of statements just because you don't like the fact that a modern console is nothing more than a cheap HTPC is deeply misguided.

Might not have been true in the PS2 generation, but as of now PCs are moving so fast that consoles are definitely holding them back. I'm not sure if that makes Bethesda's excuse valid however.

Why do you think consoles are being released and re-released so quickly? The PS2/XBox stood uncontested for 5 or 6 years. Now they poop out consoles every couple years or update hardware.

Feel free to correct me. I'm right just as often as I am wrong. Or wrong as equally as I am right at least. I dunno I could be wrong about that..

post #30 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 06:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 87 (Unique: 65)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman_90 View Post

Might not have been true in the PS2 generation, but as of now PCs are moving so fast that consoles are definitely holding them back. I'm not sure if that makes Bethesda's excuse valid however.

Why do you think consoles are being released and re-released so quickly? The PS2/XBox stood uncontested for 5 or 6 years. Now they poop out consoles every couple years or update hardware.
PCs moving fast? Actually they are slowing down. Just look at CPUs. GPUs are still advancing at a decent pace, but for how long? Also, common mistake, you assume that every PC gamer has a GTX1080 with 7700K. Which can't be further from the truth, average gaming PC is like on par with PS4, maybe even slower.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in