[EA] An Update on Battlefield V - Page 18 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[EA] An Update on Battlefield V

Closed Thread

post #171 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 07:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 216 (Unique: 139)
Quote: Originally Posted by l88bastar View Post
lol that is not even CLOSE to what I have said. You don't know what you are arguing against because you are probably skimming and looking for keywords that trigger you.

Please, go find a quote of me claiming DICE is doing well here and making good choices. I'll wait.

Just a little head start for you- I gave you a point form list on page 16 to help your reading issues, here it is for the second time:

-Tastes have changed and Battlefield is no longer mainstream
-There is no gameplay/mechanic adjustment that is going to suddenly bring everyone back
-You will not enjoy another Battlefield game like you did back in the day
-They are trying to squeeze every last ounce of sales potential out of the franchise by adding gimicky game modes like BR

Last edited by ryan92084; 09-18-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 81)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ultracarpet View Post
lol that is not even CLOSE to what I have said. You don't know what you are arguing against because you are probably skimming and looking for keywords that trigger you.

Please, go find a quote of me claiming DICE is doing well here and making good choices. I'll wait.

Just a little head start for you- I gave you a point form list on page 16 to help your reading issues, here it is for the second time:

-Tastes have changed and Battlefield is no longer mainstream
-There is no gameplay/mechanic adjustment that is going to suddenly bring everyone back
-You will not enjoy another Battlefield game like you did back in the day
-They are trying to squeeze every last ounce of sales potential out of the franchise by adding gimicky game modes like BR
So your saying the Battlefield Franchise is finished and in its death throes, but before it takes that one last groan and craps its pants they are trying a last ditch cash grab?

I disagree. That is not what happened. The Battlefield Franchise has been making tons of money and BF1 was very successful.

The opposite is happening. The Battlefield & Battlefront franchise have been so successful, DICE/EA thought they could get away with P2W costing everything and expand the franchise revenue generating potential. Part of that plan was offering customers the options to purchase characters and customization cosmetics, but how many authentic WW2 period outfits/characters can you put up on a virtual store and sell....not a whole lot of variety if your going for historical accuracy.

So DICE stuck their finger in their mouth and then held it in the air to see which way the wind was blowing and said....oooohhh look Fortnight has those building mechanics, lets copy a version of that.....ohhh and wow look at all the money Fortnight is making selling their character customizables, boy I wish we were not limited to the WW2 period and could have flashy blue haired female characters to sell, that would make our artists jobs a whole lot less boring if we could model cyborg asian purple hair flashy female pilots! And then somebody with some sense probably stood up and said it would be a bad idea, but then got dismissed by the Execs & marketing department saying they could make it fly if they portrayed it as being COOL and HIP and that is what the first BFV trailer was all about.

That is what happened. And it backfired, so they went into damage control and started calling their core base bigots, masochists, racists, etc, etc, etc. And when that didn't work they started firing people.....and when that didn't work they started trying to pander back to their "OLD" core base and say the Wacky Customizables were being paired back.

And that is where we are at right now.

I see redemption potential in the second trailer....particularly the large African Tank Battle scene. They need more of that and they need the Pacific Theater....otherwise its going to look too much like BF1

Yeah like a really bad song on the radio that the station keeps repeating and repeating.
In time you find yourself tapping your foot and singing along.
It's like being programed.

Last edited by l88bastar; 09-15-2018 at 09:55 PM.
post #173 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 11:22 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ultracarpet View Post
See, the funny part is, that if for some reason everyone was still interested in these games, and the lobby's were packed, your friends were all playing, people were buying xbox's and PC's to play the game... we wouldn't even be having this conversation. You would be busy playing the game and enjoying yourself rather than picking apart every last detail about the game to try and figure out where it all is going wrong.
I can only speak for myself but I gather the same thing happened with a lot of the OG players from these franchises. A lot of us just rage quit and that's why the lobby's aren't packed with our kind waiting to play these kinds of games and we got pushed out by the new groups who didn't mind (probably because they didn't know better or remember better).

You spoke earlier about how the BF franchise incrementally got worse after BF2/2142 (2142 was really just BF2 with a futuristic re-skin and slight tweaks, which is also why it was very popular and almost just as successful as BF2). It's absolutely true. What happened was that the core BF audience was waiting penitently for years for the next "big one" that never ended up coming.

Not long after 2142 DICE made their first huge technological leap with the Forstbite engine and developed Bad Company 1 as a sort of trial run and a way to dip their toes into the ever increasing console market at the time with their first console title since Modern Combat. It was a success and then Bad Company 2 came along, it was the first cross platform BF title and yes it was worse in every single way. Except we all knew it was going to be cross platform in advance and understood the limitations, with the new engine, visuals, etc we knew they would employ classic tricks to make the game able to run on consoles so the maps with be constricted, boundaries set artificially small, large goofy gun models that take up 60% of your FOV to keep frame rates high, overly simplified mechanics to appeal to more casual players, etc.

We sort of all dealt with it, thinking this was just an interim game to keep us tied down until "the big one". A lot of the cons could be forgiven in return for the new groundbreaking and exhilarating game play dynamics opened up by the new fully destructible environments from the Forstbite 2.0 engine. But yea, like I was saying we figured the whole thing was just a demo, and we were all holding out for the big one, the "BF3", the day everything would come together. A real PC only Battlefield where the devs would take advantage of the extra horsepower of PC's to really push the envelope once again and like 2005 and BF2, do stuff that just wasn't possible on any other platform. Using the PC's hp to create even bigger maps, higher player counts, etc. Make a true Battlefield 2 successor with everything from it and then more plus the fully destructible environments.

And we waited, waited, waited some more and then nothing. BF3 was basically a console game from the ground up designed with console restrictions (physical hardware and casual gameplay style) that was just then ported to the PC and so has every other title since. I saw the writing on the wall with BF3, others waited until BF4. No more mod community support, DLC, micro transactions, lol remember the BF3 "Premium" thing? Stupid social media crap like "Battlelog", etc.

The real "BF3" everyone was waiting for never came. So yea basically the whole hardcore BF community fragmented and disbanded, rage quit and you have what you have today. There was definitely people just itching for this "imaginary" BF game you say we describe, me and all the other guys in this thread are the remnants of that community that was waiting for that next true sequel that never came. There was that glimmer of hope that with BF going back to WWII with BF:V that might happened. After all the little known (little by today's audience anyway) BF1943 title from 09 was actually a pretty decent reincarnation of 1942 given physical limits of consoles at the time. All that and well you know what happened from here, BF SJW Fortnite....

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xJumper; 09-15-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 81)
Well I just cancelled my COD BLOPS4 pre-order. PUBG is MILES better than Blackout.

So a slot has opened back up in the "mindless shooter" category on my PC.

Hopefully DICE can turn this BFV ship around and produce something that is not total ZERG trash.

Yeah like a really bad song on the radio that the station keeps repeating and repeating.
In time you find yourself tapping your foot and singing along.
It's like being programed.
post #175 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 01:15 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 140 (Unique: 94)
I will reserve my judgement on BFV until they release their version of BR.
But as it stands right now...Black Out is looking really good. They've incorporated many of the previous maps from previous BO games and many are praising Blackout in the current beta.

Well known Twitch players are saying they likes Black Out. So far has over 2Mill views.
post #176 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:27 AM
News Fiend

Closed for cleaning.

Edit: Thread has more than run its course staying closed.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ryan92084; 09-18-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in