[Digital Trends] No games will support ray tracing when Nvidia RTX graphics cards launch - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Digital Trends] No games will support ray tracing when Nvidia RTX graphics cards launch

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
Quote: Originally Posted by azanimefan View Post
I suspect this is intentional.

NVIDIA is going to withhold the drivers to activate RT, in order to prevent reviews on that feature and its... performance... comes out. They're going to bank on people buying the tech before the tech is tested. Which strangely was exactly the message THG's editor in chief touted in that recent paid ad... I mean editorial. "Buy it, pre order it, before we test it!"
I really wonder what has happened to you that has generated such a jaded perspective. Can you not see how idiotic a business strategy that would be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
I really wonder what has happened to you that has generated such a jaded perspective. Can you not see how idiotic a business strategy that would be?
Nvidia are the ones actually using the strategy. We're just sitting here in shock at what we're seeing.
A GPU company spends the bulk of their launch event talking about the primary feature, that we later find out will not work at launch (if not years before we see it working in any meaningful capacity), and is jacking up prices to insane heights for the privilege of waiting an indeterminate amount of time for features to be ready to use.

This the same as crowdfunding for Star Citizen, except it's being perpetrated by the most successful manufacturer in the industry. Just imagine if Star Citizen had been started by EA?

RTX is practically as much of a paper launch as Vega was.
Nvidia is so competitive that every time AMD hits a new low Nvidia just can't help but try to match them.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:43 PM
Dances with a Screwdriver

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
I am going to assume chicken and egg issue here. No game supports RT because RT hasn't been offered in the past. Brute forcing real time RT rendering tended to be rather slow and not practical for games so games simply never used RT.

When the RT enabled hardware comes out, it may be a matter of time before games will support it. Or if it'd end up a niche that would eventually die quietly in some years.

On Hack-A-Day forum about recent dumping of a ROM chip used in Commodore 1520 plotter and the matter of copyright law:
genki: What would CBM do about the chip getting dumped? Rise from the grave and sue?
phuzz: I now have a great image in my head of zombie corporations crawling out of the ground to protect their IP smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by wilykat View Post
I am going to assume chicken and egg issue here. No game supports RT because RT hasn't been offered in the past. Brute forcing real time RT rendering tended to be rather slow and not practical for games so games simply never used RT.

When the RT enabled hardware comes out, it may be a matter of time before games will support it. Or if it'd end up a niche that would eventually die quietly in some years.
Everyone is saying DICE had two weeks to get their RT tech in.
This is half the reason RTX is a joke right now.
If they wanted to sell GPU's they should have had people working with those developers from Day1 of Battlefield V development. If this is supposed to be the revolutionary tech everyone has been waiting for then these should be ground up implementations, not a bunch of hackjob "it'll get patched in later" lame excuses.
At least they could have said "Hey, it's early days, we'll give you a good deal on the silicon" and only raise prices by 30% on each tier, but that's not how Nvidia works, the target market for these products is fanatics who will act like it's a matter of pride to spend the most money as soon as possible.
For those who have such monies, great for them, I'm sure it does give them some satisfaction. For everyone else, Nvidia may as well have announced that they're selling a Lamborghini.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 07:03 AM
User

Rep: 117 (Unique: 81)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
Not to mention how nVidia is not free from consumer laws. Atleast here in Europe,you can return products up to 7 days after purchase for whatever reason.

Phantom 410
(17 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K
Motherboard
ASRock Z87 Killer
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce
RAM
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 EVO 120 GB
Hard Drive
W.D Caviar Green 1 TB
Hard Drive
W.D Caviar Blue 500 GB
Power Supply
Corsair CX550M
Cooling
Raijintek Themis
Case
NZXT Phantom 410
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell P2416D
Keyboard
Tacens MKHA0
Mouse
Logitech G100S
Mouse
Steelseries QcK Mini
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
Audio
Superlux HD 662 EVO
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 07:11 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 72 (Unique: 55)
Quote: Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post
Not to mention how nVidia is not free from consumer laws. Atleast here in Europe,you can return products up to 7 days after purchase for whatever reason.
Hi,
7 days isn't a lot of time
Just at our local micro center it has a no questions asked for 30 days plus one can purchase a 1-2-3 year in-store warranty pretty cheep and never deal with another manufacture ever again

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 07:57 AM
mfw

Rep: 393 (Unique: 205)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Just at our local micro center it has a no questions asked for 30 days plus one can purchase a 1-2-3 year in-store warranty pretty cheep and never deal with another manufacture ever again
That's because it's not 7 days; it's 14 by law, but most places afford you 30.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:08 AM
Tank destroyer and a god

Rep: 86 (Unique: 67)
Quote: Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
That's because it's not 7 days; it's 14 by law, but most places afford you 30.
You are all correct, but the driver which enables particular feature might be released weeks or months later after the release of the hardware. In this case I would advise to all potential customers caution.

If the initial driver will work "just" with DX12, it would not be enough for RMA after that time passes.

--- Building in progress * AMD Threadripper 1900x * Asrock X399M Taichi * Radeon VII * Gskill Xflare / Samsung B-die 3200 14-14-14-32 * Samsung 970 PRO 512gb * Fractal Design Node 804 * Seasonic Prime Ultra 850 Titanium *
--- Desktop * AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3,8GHz * ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 * Gigabyte R9 FuryX * A-Data XPG 2.0 / Elpida Hyper MNH 1866 @ 1600 6-6-6-18 * LSI 9211-8i / Raid 0 / 5x Corsair Force 3 GS * Creative Xfi Fatal1ty * Intel I210-T1 * Steelseries 6Gv2 * Logitech MX518 * Samsung U28E590D *
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 11:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
There's no point preordering a 2080/2080ti. Better wait for the official reviews and how (and if) the ray tracing technology will be implemented.

Master of shadows
My Mentat
(21 items)
CPU
Motherboard
asrock fatality k6 gaming
GPU
asus rtx rog strix gaming 2080ti
RAM
corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 [email protected]
Hard Drive
samsung 960 evo [email protected]
Hard Drive
samsung 850 [email protected]
Hard Drive
samsung 840 [email protected]
Power Supply
evga supernova g2 750w
Cooling
cryorig r1 ultimate
Case
phanteks enthoo pro
Operating System
windows 10
Monitor
del alienware aw3418dw
Keyboard
logitech g pro tkl
Mouse
logitech g502 proteus spectrum
Mousepad
QcK steelseries xxl
Audio
logitech z333 2.1
Audio
hyper x cloud silver
Audio
soundblaster z
Other
apc back-up 1400va ups
Other
nzxt sentry 3
Other
corsair st100 rgb
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
Everyone is saying DICE had two weeks to get their RT tech in.
This is half the reason RTX is a joke right now.
If they wanted to sell GPU's they should have had people working with those developers from Day1 of Battlefield V development. If this is supposed to be the revolutionary tech everyone has been waiting for then these should be ground up implementations, not a bunch of hackjob "it'll get patched in later" lame excuses.
At least they could have said "Hey, it's early days, we'll give you a good deal on the silicon" and only raise prices by 30% on each tier, but that's not how Nvidia works, the target market for these products is fanatics who will act like it's a matter of pride to spend the most money as soon as possible.
For those who have such monies, great for them, I'm sure it does give them some satisfaction. For everyone else, Nvidia may as well have announced that they're selling a Lamborghini.
Except developers can't work on RTX until they have a physical RTX gpu with a fully featured driver. Nvidia can't start giving out turing GPUs to developers until bulk production is ready, and once your in bulk production you probably want to launch the product ASAP because you don't want to just be sitting on massive amounts of stock like that. Not to mention that bulk production is typically when all the leaks start hitting the media, and once that happens you really need to release before your product gets it's reputation rekt by ignorant speculation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in