[Eurogamer] Witcher author demands more money from CD Projekt - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Eurogamer] Witcher author demands more money from CD Projekt

post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 05:30 AM
New to Overclock.net
HarrisLam Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post
Give him a million bucks and be done with it.
I think he deserves a million from settlements before he pulled the legal action threat card.

After that though, I think CDPR is ready for a fight if he really wishes to go that direction.

I am a Lamprey. I suck. <--- If you like this......You are probably a Lamprey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:08 AM
New to Overclock.net
New green Level 1

Quote:
Article 44. In the event of gross discrepancy between the remuneration of the author and the benefits of the acquirer of the author's economic rights or the licensee, the author may request the court for a due increase of his/her remuneration.
http://www.wipo.int/edocs/lexdocs/la...pl/pl010en.pdf

Quote:
Lawyers for Sapkowksi claim in a letter CD Projekt Red reposted on its website that Polish copyright law entitles him to more royalties based on the now large discrepancy between what the studio originally paid him and how much it has gone on to profit from the copyright. Citing Article 44 of Poland’s 1994 copyright law, they write, “[Article 44] may be invoked when the compensation remitted to the author is too low given the benefits obtained in association with the use of that author’s work.”
Quote:
For its part, CD Projekt stated it’s also interested in keeping its relationship with the author of the source material on good terms. “It is the Company’s will to maintain good relations with authors of works which have inspired CD PROJEKT RED’s own creations,” it said in the post on its website. “Consequently, the Board will go to great lengths to ensure amicable resolution of this
dispute; however, any such resolution must be respectful of previously expressed intents of both parties, as well as existing contracts.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku....1829465193/amp

If I am understanding this correctly both parties with renegotiate on a new table of remuneration based off of previous intent and existing contracts which I am assuming gives the author the right to a new lump sum.
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 01:03 PM
New to Overclock.net
EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about

SC Projekt should just renegotiate and say that he can have 5% of all profits from new Witcher games, then focus only on new IP and never make another Witcher game. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 01:55 PM
New to Overclock.net
PharmingInStyle Level 1

I think I'd mostly go for a royalty agreement if I created art projects. You never know which ones if any will become a hit. Not saying I'd do that for any paintings I made. I mean for paintings you generally sell each one for normal painting prices in a gallery if you're not famous. But after hearing about all this with the Witcher series I'd ask for royalties for any novel I'd write and take the risk of running short on rent by turning down normal lump sum payments.
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 06:35 AM
New to Overclock.net
Thingamajig is an unknown quantity at this point Thingamajig is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by SuperZan View Post
Unless he's lying, he did get money. "I was stupid enough to sell them rights to the whole bunch," he says. "They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, 'No, there will be no profit at all - give me all my money right now! The whole amount.' It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn't believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn't."
And now it was successful, he wants a piece of the pie. His arrogant dismissal made him shut out a potential opportunity. He got what he wanted, an agreement was made a long time ago.

He doesn't deserve a penny, and to give him anything sends a terrible message; Kick and scream to get what you want in the age of entitlement.

A message too commonplace in todays age. He shouldn't get a dime. If he didn't crawl back under the rock he came from i'd be taking legal action get him there faster.

Umbra
(10 items)
CPU
i7 7700K
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix z270i ITX
GPU
Zotac 1070 Mini
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4
Hard Drive
2x 2TB Seagate Guardian Barracuda 2.5"
Hard Drive
M.2 Western Digital Black 256GB
Optical Drive
Panasonic UJ-265 SATA Slot Blu-ray Writer
Power Supply
700w Silverstone SST-SX700-LPT SFX
Cooling
Heatkiller v3 CPU Block
Case
Cougar QBX Mini
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Thingamajig; 10-07-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in