[YT] Star Citizen Full CitizenCon 2018 Presentation (4K) - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[YT] Star Citizen Full CitizenCon 2018 Presentation (4K)

post #21 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 152 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
I do not think a game can go in development for this long.
You've not been reading the internet then. World of Warcraft has been in development for 20 years now and we're STILL getting alphas from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 152 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by SpartanVXL View Post
I agree CR needs a bit of reigning in, but there most definitely will be first person shooter mechanics. They didn't develop Star Marine to be just a Crysis tdm demo. The multiplayer will probably be a separate mode, S42 looked like just a campaign 'mode'.

Honestly this and bunch of recent things keeps coming back to chicken egg mentality. A lotta people want to see both chicken and egg working, but it doesn't matter because they couldn't afford either therefore they're bad products.
The "Kanye Paradox" at work. People talk toiletflotsam because they think it makes em popular because they don't know any better.

Kanye can do it because he knows better.
post #23 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by tostitobandito View Post
The people who pledged in the initial campaign weren't idiots. I don't think it's fair to blame them. They knew it was at least a couple years off at that point and were pledging accordingly.

The idiots were the people who continued to buy more and more imaginary content from them years later, well after they had blown past even the most conservative estimates for release dates from the initial campaign. This is what has enabled the feature/content bloat. They should have locked down the features and content soon after the initial campaign, but instead turned it into a scheme to turn the development of the game into a revenue stream by monetizing theoretical content in a game which doesn't exist yet. They wildly succeeded at this, effectively generating enough revenue from ship sales to fund the studio indefinitely even if there is never a proper release. The only thing that can stop this cycle is if enough people stop buying their new crap and demand a non-alpha/beta release or their money back.
Look at Star Citizen compared to what EA and Rockstar make off of Fifa or GTA.

$200 Million is still a drop in the bucket.

Year after year I keep saying that any major publisher who wants to make a $200M Space Sim would be praised and welcomed with open arms, Star Citizen could have the wind snuffed out at any moment if someone, anyone, would just make a competing product.

Five years in and apparently no-one else in the industry even wants a piece of this pie.

Yesterday I pulled my new Joystick apart and got it tuned for smooth running.
Boot up No Man's Sky: No Joystick Suppert.
Boot up Space Engineers: No Joystick Support.

I bought Elite Dangerous years ago and tried playing it, ten minutes in the server boots me to the title screen because their freaking DRM can't handle a slow connection.

I am no less desperate for a good space sim than I was in 2012.

Screw the modern gaming industry and give me Star Citizen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 385 (Unique: 275)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
A lot of people think he never intended to produce a game. I think what happened is that he is a one trick pony. He keeps remaking Wing Commander/Privateer over and over. So, he decided to do it again in Cry-Engine, did a bunch of modeling, created a scene he knew would get the imagination of all the people that had been starved of space sims, and then hit the crowd-funding scene hoping just hoping to get the funding to finally create the hybrid Wing Commander/Privateer that he always wanted to make, and bonus it could be an MMO. And then it became the most successful crowd funding campaign of all time by far.

If you've ever heard of Strike Commander, you know this is no a good thing. Chris Roberts needs someone keeping him on track and reigning him in. Instead he had no supervision and immediately began adding features for which the money to develop was simply not even close to being there. Then he spent lord only knows how much on Hollyweird A-list actors for a video game instead of reasonably priced voice actors that were probably going to be better anyway because this is their medium as just one of the highlights of the way the man goes through cash.

I think there is a decent chance that Squadron 42 will actually be delivered playable. It will not have any open ended features and it's doubtful that the gameplay is even the slightest bit different from Wing Commander or Star Lancer. So no first person shooting. Maybe a multi-player dogfight mode, but probably not enough money to do a co-op mode. And that loan taken out is going to have to be repayed somehow, so it's doubtful the game sales will fund enough to get the MMO portion working.
Oh yes I remember Strike Commander.
The game that would NOT even run properly on anything other than a system very few people had at the time. Most people had the high end 486 DX2-66 at that time (not the dog overheating Pentium 60) but it wouldn't even run properly on 486 DX2's if I recall. I remember Egghead Software showing all these demos of Strike Commander and that "they ejected and their aircraft burned" landing thing?

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #25 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Crayon Evangelist

Rep: 469 (Unique: 321)
Never pre-order anything EVER.

If you want to support things on kick starter, donate and expect NOTHING in return.

People that gave money for Star Citizen expecting a playable game are getting exactly what they deserve IMO.

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Computex 2018: 'Ladies and Gentleman, people of all chromatic sensibilities and lighting clownery, we are proud to present the aaarrrrgggeeebeeee Circus Maximus!'
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
I was initially interested in Fallout 76, but my enthusiasm was nuked.
Quote: Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post
If I lob a grenade and die and respawn before it exploded does it still explode?
post #26 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 06:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post
Never pre-order anything EVER.

If you want to support things on kick starter, donate and expect NOTHING in return.
100% correct, and this is only the beginning:

Quote: Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post
People that gave money for Star Citizen expecting a playable game are getting exactly what they deserve IMO.
I couldn't agree more.
post #27 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:17 PM
High Clocker

Rep: 188 (Unique: 162)
Every time I see a thread on this Im more happy I didnt fall for the scam.
Iv got a mate thats thrown $300 into the game and all he has gotten is a demo that kept him entertained for 15mins.
Lol he even built a new PC last year to there recommended specs when they said it was going to be released holidays 2017.

SLI Voodoo 2 - > GeForce4 MX 420 -> GF 6600GT -> GF 6800GT -> GF 8800Ultra -> AMD 4870 -> AMD 4890 -> CF AMD 5820 -> CF AMD 6850 -> CF AMD 7970 -> SLI GF 680 -> SLI GF 780 -> CF AMD 290X -> GF 980ti -> SLI GF 980ti -> GF 1080ti -> SLI GF 1080ti -> <- RTX 2080ti (DOA/Refunded)
CPU
AMD 8120
CPU
FX 8350
GPU
7970 CFX
GPU
680 SLI
▲ hide details ▲

post #28 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 178 (Unique: 158)
I'm still waiting for his "American Greed" episode on CNBC. CR is the Bernie Madoff of the video game world.

Just replace Bernie's name with with CR and Wall Street with Kickstarter.

IN WIN D-Frame Mini - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz - ASUS STRIX Z370-I - GTX 1080Ti - Corsair 8GB 3000MHz - Samsung 960 M.2 250GB + 500GB SSD - Samsung JU67000 4K Curved
post #29 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 10:33 PM
Fantastic Mr Fox

Rep: 175 (Unique: 120)
I spent about 50AUD on the game and I don't really care how long it takes or if it is ever ready. I've wasted more money on higher risks. And coffee

CPU
i7 920 D0
Motherboard
MSI X58 Pro-E
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970IX-4GD)
RAM
3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24
Hard Drive
840 Pro
Hard Drive
Caviar Black
Optical Drive
LG BD-ROM
Power Supply
Corsair HX-520
Case
CM690
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Monitor
Dell U2713HM
Monitor
Dell U2311H
Keyboard
Turbo-Trak (Google it :D)
Mouse
Mionix Avior 7000
Mouse
Everglide Titan
Audio
AKG K 242 HD
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 82 (Unique: 62)
I backed the project before its original goal for 30 USD
it'd be nice if I could some day play the complete thing if I'm still into gaming at all...not gonna hold my breath this far in...i'll just treat this as already been taken along for a ride, a 'fool one once...' lesson

Nvidia Surround Gaming
My PC Hardware Upgrade CyclesWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
CPU: Athlon 1.3GHz | Core 2 Duo OC'd 2.0GHz | Core i5-3570K OC'd 4.8GHz
RAM: 2x256MB DDR-333MHz | 2x1GB DDR2-667MHz -> 2x2GB DDR2-800MHz | 4x4GB OC'd DDR3-2133MHz
GPU: GeForce2 MX 64MB -> Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB | Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB | GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB SLI OC'd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in